Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brown

"Threat Detected" during AV2 installation?

Hey there everyone~ :)

I've bought a new laptop, and I was re-downloading the games I previously had on my old one. I remembered having purchased AV2 a long time ago from this site - I think I did so at the time it was released, so I uncovered the activation email with the key and registration name.

In the email, it said that the activation key would only work if I downloaded AV2 from this site, so I just did. During installation though, AVG (a virus protection program) detected a threat in one of the files - namely, the .exe one needed to run the game.

Here's the prompt that popped up during the installation:

ThreatDetected.png

Also, I tried replacing the .exe file with a Game.exe (renamed Aveyond2.exe) file from RPG Maker XP to see if that would remedy the situation, but instead, I got a script error. I'm not surprised at the result since I do remember the Buy Game/Play Trial/Quit screen before actually getting to the game.

Can anyone please tell me what exactly is it that I'm doing wrong for this warning to appear? Is the problem a computer related one or a program related one?

Guest Odin

You must use the game's exe because it won't work.

And you must have the exe with his original name.

Shaz: edited to remove against-forum-rules content

So what exactly is it that I should try now? I'm sorry, but I really don't get what you're saying. :/

Should I get the .exe file from another site installation? I don't think that that would actually work. :S

Guest Odin

If it is a virus in the game's .exe but you really want to play the game then I think you must set off the antivirus.

But then what if there really WAS a virus? I don't want to inflict any damage on my new laptop if possible.

Also, in case anyone's wondering:

Error.png

This is the error I get when I try to run the game using a renamed Game.exe file. It runs fine at first, and the game header reads "Aveyond 2: Ean's Quest (Build B)", but then it crashes before displaying the title screen. :S

Guest Odin

you must have Aveyond2.exe and it must be the orginal exe file of the game from this site

Shaz: edited to remove against-forum-rules content

That's what I think too; how can I get the file though? I'd rather not resort to hackers - they're too shady for me.

Does anyone have any idea what it is that I should do now?

Maybe I'm just in need of a new application execution file then. :S

Brown, your problem is actually quite common and has been reported many times. What you're getting is what is called a "false positive". Many anti-virus software are too trigger happy in classfying RPG Maker games as virus-laden, but Amaranth Games can safely assure you that ALL legitimate downloads on this site are VIRUS-FREE!

P.S. For more info, check this topic:

http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7804

That's a huge relief.

Thank you so much for your help, aislingyngaio!

I tried updating my AVG to see if the threat'll be gone, but it turns out it's got something against updating. I've uninstalled and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials instead and the game + installation work perfectly - no threats detected. :D

Yep, the game exe for the Aveyond games is not the same as the exe from RMXP - there's additional stuff in there that checks for your activation codes and so forth.

It's common for antivirus scanners to detect false positives in games (ALL games, not just RPG Maker games) - they usually all do it within a few days of each other, and once someone notifies them that they've got it wrong (again), they'll all be fixed within a few days of each other. You were wise not to resort to searching for hacked versions - it's VERY common that those either DO have viruses, or that the hacking process has broken something else in the game and you wouldn't have been able to complete it.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. It was worth the try though.

Oh I'd never resort to hackers or pirated games - it's just against my ethics, I guess. And there's the threat of installing actual malware along with the program files, too. D:

Thanks for your help everyone! :)

Adding a note here, for the person who encouraged use of hacked games.

We know that hacked versions of our games are out there. We can only do so much to prevent that, and we can't stop you from downloading them. Apart from the fact that it's illegal and unethical, you run the risk of getting viruses on your computer or getting a game that will not run properly because the hacking process has introduced bugs (yes, it's happened).

If you have no issues with any of that, so be it. The fact that they're there does not mean you MUST use them. Rather than telling us to put better security on our games (out of our hands when they are released by portals), perhaps you should exercise some self control. It's easy to justify anything if you want it badly enough, and there's little we could say that would change your viewpoint. Go ahead and download. But don't come to our own site bragging that you've done it, don't expect us to support you when you have issues with your game, and don't encourage others to do it.

We have a strict hacking = ban policy that's very clearly spelled out in the forum rules. Nobody can use "I didn't know" as an excuse.