Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
iPink

The Casual Vacancy: New Book from J.K. Rowling

J.K. Rowling is set to publish a new book. It is apparently going to be a novel written for adults and published by Little, Brown, although no other details have been released.

A few years ago Rowling said that she was writing a "political fairy tale," but as that was apparently written for children, it is unlikely to be the same project. There is still no news on the Potter encyclopedia.

EDIT:

When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…. Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

The release date is September 27. J.K. Rowling has also stated on her website that she has begun work on the Potter encyclopedia.

I thought it was supposed to be a detective type novel? At least I think that is what I read. Anyways, I look forward to it. I'm interested in what will it about and if it'll be a series.

@KTC: I think I heard about a detective-type novel from her a few years ago (around the time of the political fairy tale), but there's no indication that that is the same premise as the new book.

Can't wait for it. And to think I didn't even know until I clicked this thread

I'm sure it'll be awesome because she's a great writer and her plot is usually good

weird how I also thought KTC was talking instead of mopiece when I read the thread XD

I'm not really excvited for the book, since little is known abouit it, and I don't just judge books by their authors, but I will definatly give it a try. Thanks for letting me know!

I read that on BBC yesterday. From what I read, it sounds interesting. I can't wait until it comes out. I hope a release date comes out soon.

Barry. Harry. LOL.

Sorry, that just caught my eye. I wonder what will the story be about and who are the players... can't be this Barry guy, coz he's dead and the issue is about the town he left behind...

I'm cautiously optimistic. Didn't like HP books 6-7 so if the writing style is similar to those I probably wouldn't be able get into it.

Though if it's like Neil Gaiman who seems to be getting better as he writes more, it'll be cool.

actually I tried her first book in english and I found the writing style of the dutch translator a lot more mature and better. *is being shot by every single HP fan on earth*

as for the last book I disliked the plot, so I kind of made a deal with myself to read this book in english to have a better view on her writing skills

I think JK Rowling is a great author, I don't think I've read a Rowling book I didn't like. She's detailed and funny, but not overly drawn-out. As long as she keeps it up, I would consider this book to be a must read.