Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
slimmmeiske2

I'm skinny, so I must be anorexic?!

So there’s something that’s been bothering me from time to time and it’s talk about food. Specifically, talk about how I (according to others) am unhealthy (‘cause I’m skinny) and how I should eat more unhealthy stuff, so I would grow plumber, chubbier, whatever, as long as I gain more weight.

It’s true that I’m skinny, but that does not automatically mean I have an eating disorder, it also does not mean I only eat fruit and vegetables, and it certainly does not mean I’m short on vitamins and other kind of thing for which I should let the doctor check my blood. I am just naturally skinny.

It’s one thing if a stranger comments on my posture, but it’s another when it’s a friend, who should know as a friend, that I do not like to talk about it and that, let’s face it, there’s nothing wrong with me. (Besides a very low self-esteem, that they are not helping at all with these comments.)

I am like everybody else: I eat healthy and unhealthy food, I snack a lot, I eat three meals a day, I never skip breakfast, I eat regularly and irregularly at times. So why? Why do many around me feel the need to comment I should eat more, from time to time even asking whether I have an eating disorder, and when faced with the plain fact that I do not have one, start to comment on having my blood checked up?

The truth is I have a ‘small’ stomach. I can’t eat a lot at once, and when I do (and I do sometimes when I’m really hungry) I start having a nauseous feeling. (No, I don’t vomit, I just get the feeling for eating way too fast.)

So combined with the fact that I just can’t eat a lot at once (which is why I snack a lot), I also just don’t like a lot of food. There’s certain stuff that I just can’t swallow down. So it might be true that my meals are less varied than others, but does that mean they have the right to decide about my eating behaviour?

I’m just getting very tired and frustrated of this discussion, but I can’t say that to my friends, for they would just reply: “We only want the best for you.” Yeah, well, that’s shutting up about it!

Is it just me or do women (some men as well) have grown to the tendency where skinny is wrong, and you should let yourself get checked up if you’re skinny, because that’s simply unnatural? I might be wrong, but that’s certainly how it feels like.

To be honest, I really just feel like going to a doctor and get my blood checked, just to prove them that I am alright. But in a way, they could see that as a sign that I believe something is wrong with me, which I don’t. And my mother would panic. So I'm not going to the doctor. :x

Edited to remove profanity.

~Mopiece

You're fine. It's just people being rude, or insecure about their own weight. Simply tell anyone who happens to comment (friend or otherwise) that it's impolite to comment on people's weight and leave it at that. You don't owe anyone an explanation.

You're also letting these people and their comments walk all over you in one way or another. Take control and stop being so nice, if you add some confidence and sass I promise people will think twice before commenting.

I agree with Nick. Unless you think you might have other health problems (like if you get sick a lot or throw up a lot or something), you've probably got nothing to worry about. I have a brother who's skinny too, but he seems to be perfectly healthy. Some people just have skinny body types.

And if people are really your friends, they'll stop talking about your weight if you ask them to.

I feel your pain, I'm skinny (well, now it's getting better, but I used to be very skinny), and even while all my friends know I eat more than all of them together on one day, they still think I have an eating disorder :P

as soon as I skip lunch (I only start getting hungry after I have eaten something, so sometimes i skip breakfast, and go for a late lunch), they think I don't eat for weeks, it's a funny thing.

However, I always seem to be able to talk reason into my friends

There's a lot of chubby people that wish they had your problems but I think for some reason these days it is considered worse to comment on someone being too heavy than "too" skinny. As long as you and your parents or whoever matters the most to you is happy with your weight, just tell the other people it is none of their business. If you like them tell them nicely, if you don't care, just tell them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you. If anything, the problem lies with your friends, not with you. Besides, as long as you're healthy with no health problems, it's all okay.

There's probably nothing wrong with you though I'd check with a doctor to see whether you're too skinny or not. Our perspectives of ourselves can be different from how we truly are. For example, my official-from-the-doctor stats say I'm overweight but I'm mostly comfortable with being a bit round. As long as I don't start getting high blood pressure or all the other things related to being too fat, I'm down with it.

Also, I'm wondering if there's a cultural thing to this since some cultures think a skinny person is no good.

Thanks everyone for you encouraging words :D I shall talk to them, that I rather not discuss it anymore.

@yannes: Yes, it's totally like that. As soon as they see I skip lunch, to eat my lunch later thye start thinking I'm not eating at all at my dorm. T.T

@Belinda: Indeed, it seems like people comment more on skinny people nowadays, than on more chubby ones. I wish they would just stop commenting on both, but oh well. :(

@KTC: I had a general check up last year and the doctor said nothing was wrong. My weight was below average, but he said as long as eat regularly, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

I think it's cultural, yes. Which is why, I' surprised so many people comment on my weight. I thought skinny was a beauty ideal here in Europe... I guess things like this change from time to time.

you see, "people always comment" about that stuff

I used to be chubby in 5th grade, people always comment that I'm fat it bothers me so I started dieting, the slow way.

I'm skinny then till my highschool years.. till the present. Now they comment that I'm way skinny.

Point is they'll always notice it, (unless they find something else to talk about.)

I have a friend who's skinnier and smaller than me, you won't see her not eating everytime. Must've high metabolism.

On the subject of weight, others perception and seeing a doctor about it… well, as many of you know… I have a “Day Job.”

This company means well by asking everyone to take simple health measurements (in private) each year.

It’s nothing too crazy… age, height, weight, blood pressure, basic mobility, etc.

Each year, I’m classified (by the traveling nurses) as obese because at my age and height (according to their charts, I’m supposed to be 40 lbs. less… but I’ve not been that weight since high-school).

So, as you… I was a bit stunned at the claim so I went to a real medic (thankfully, my mother didn’t panic :))… amazingly, I’m not obese at all.

The summary… eyes are fantastic tools but are poorly calibrated for judging. :)

People focus a lot on weight, even though we generally shouldn't. I get where they're coming from - if people don't know you're eating well, they will be concerned, mostly because of all the horror stories you hear of people with anorexia or bulimia. We hear models and celebrities on TV say they never diet, yet they are near 6 feet tall and, like, 100 lbs or something, which is near impossible to achieve naturally. So, I think people just become doubtful when they see a thin person say they eat fine.

But, if you know you eat enough and you have no medical problems, I see no reason for you to change. Stop paying attention to what people say about your weight and if they ask questions, answer firmly, as if to end the discussion. Still, as KTC said, it probably wouldn't hurt to check with a doctor just in case. I had a friend in high school who was always small and skinny despite eating just as much as the rest of our friends. She saw a doctor eventually, who said she needed to increase her protein intake, which was probably why she was always so small.

There are other medical disorders that result in low weight and difficulty eating more than small portions of food. But as long as you get enough nutrients, and your doctor is not concerned, tell them to mind their own business. Every person is different and they have no right to bother you. If it doesn't stop, comment on their rudeness and walk away. "That's funny, my mother taught me it was rude to pry into other people's business." People who truly care about you will get the idea, and those who don't are not worth your effort.

Thank you all for your kind advice. :)

I talked with my mom about it. (She didn't panic! :D) She supports me as well and we talked about going to the doctor. We'll go eventually, but it's not on top of our to do-list. :)

Trust me your not alone. My sister is 11 and skinny. She looks like she has no muscle. She never complains about it. She is extremely hyper (not Pinkie Pie hyper). She even stashes food in here room. Trust me your not alone.

Well, people DO get concerned if you eat too little. My friends, at least, tell me I should have more food if I happen to eat so little. Added to the fact that you're skinny, people would think there's something wrong with you.

Not sure how bad is your friends about it, but you should be firm about what you want or don't want :S