Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Suigintou

Language advice?

So, I'm having a hard time deciding which Scandinavian/ Nordic language I want to study.

Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish or [d]Icelandic[/d]?

I'm aware Danish, Swedish, Norwegian are mutually intelligible but one of them must be a better choice than the others.

About Finnish... Well, 15 noun cases sound tricky.

And I won't delve into why I left out Icelandic.

I'm leaning more towards Swedish right now(Largest number of speakers, biggest economy in the region, etc.)

I'm not looking for the easiest one but the one that's most useful.

Any Ideas??

That's a hard one.

I've been confronted with that kind of situation, I had the choice to learn latin, japanese, chinese or thai. I finally went for Japanese for the following reasons ;

- Latin is a dead tongue, so it won't be really useful to know, except for religious purpose, or scientific ones (binominal nomenclature is your friend when you study taxonomy)

- Japanese is the hardest language to learn in the bunch (at least from what i've been told), and learning japanese = learn kanji = learn a bit of chinese in the process.

- Japanese culture intereted me the most.

So if you are looking for a more practical language, i'd say go for the hardest ones. Usually it makes the other ones easier to learn.

Another you might research is the influence this language has on the job you are intending to get. For exemple, I want to be a doctor. One of the most influent language on medecine is Latin, but it's a dead tongue so I'm leaving this one out. After that comes greek, but no greek language courses are available where I live, so I will take german classes. (Things to do with world war II, not really pretty reasons so i'll skip the "why" but just know german was influent in the medecine domain)

I wish you the best luck. :)

@D_A: heh...Icelandic is too far from Danish-Norwegian-Swedish to be relevant, at least to me.

Weren't Denmark, Sweden and Norway the countries with a viking culture? Icelanders are descendants of Norse and Gaelic settlers.

@Astral: Nah, I don't need it for a job right now(Just for fun and future usefulness)

Danish pronunciation sounds the hardest to me, compared to the rest

I study in den mark now, and I have always been told that the only tricky part of the language is the pronounciation, but even that is alright I think

this might just be fir me though, it kind of looks a bit similar to german and dutch.

Swedish! Sadly there's no interest about Scandinavian languages here in my country so there are no language courses but if I have a chance I'd choose Swedish.

I visited my aunt in Europe one summer, and we went to a Rolling Stones concert in Montenegro.

On the bus from her flat to the town where the concert was, she had an argument with a Russian boy. She spoke a mix of what are now called Serbian, Bosniak, and Croatian (though the languages were distinct even back in the day, they were practically interchangeable before the war drove everyone apart)

Later that day, she (successfully) haggled with a guy selling merchandise, who only spoke Mexican Spanish, and she was speaking in Italian.

The thing is, she lives in Switzerland (the flat was for vacations mostly) and is very fluent in both of those languages and that's why she was able to do that.

I believe you can do the same thing with the first three on your list (that you mentioned were mutually intelligible), but only if you actually get a chance to live in that country and get used to communicating in that language.

I would pick Norwegian, for no reason other than it's my favorite country of the bunch. Sweden was nice, but it wasn't as, in my opinion. No real reason otherwise. :)

I know it isn't listed but French and possibly Italian are the most easiest to try to learn (trying to learn French myself). They are some what inside the English language and possibly others. But go what's easy for you!

Sui is Italian :P

"some what inside the English language?" Quoi? They are not from the same language family, if that is what you are talking about. (French and Italian are, but French/Italian and English aren't.)

(aaand I wouldn't call French easy. Sure the basic is, but to speak it fluently and perfectly? God knows that after 8 years of studying I still fail French big time.)

Yeah

French and Italian -> Latin branch

English -> West Germanic

About French...I tried but I failed :D

You can master the French grammar but the pronunciation is impossible (at least for me)

With French I'm good at the nasal sounds, but I have incredible trouble rolling my Rs in the right way. And it's difficult to tell when you need to transfer the sound of the end of one word into the beginning of the next (there's a word for it, but I can't think of it >.< ). What I need to do is go live in France for a year. :P

Imo Swedish is the most practical language to learn from those options because people are supposed to understand and speak Swedish in every country in northern part of Europe, a.k.a Scandinavia although Finland is actually not really part of Scandinavia. One of the reasons is the language which is a Finno-Ugric language and not Scandinavian based on Latin or so.

But if you want to learn a very INTERESTING language you should choose Finnish despite the fact that the 15 grammatic cases might sound tough. Did someone guess at this point that I'm a Finn? :lol: