Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
daeva_agas

Stuff Happens (Non-fanart)

They're used a lot for quick freeware indie VNs because, just like me, people can't be bothered to draw their own sprites for a quickie game. We save our energy for our serious business epic games. But the event CGs still have to be drawn, so that's the only hassle, but eh.

World-building for my story Destanagas, wheee~

The founding members of the Order of Twilight, a group whose mission is to assimilate vampires into human society.

People associate Twilight with either sparkly vamps or darkness, usually. People probably forgot the “Morning Twilight”, which is more related to light because it’s the moment before dawn. I wanted to use twilight in the sense of “where light and dark meet”.

width=500http://24.media.tumblr.com/d8063408a052a2f8af5fca2584022b20/tumblr_mhtp63g9sU1r7k0jco1_500.jpg[/img]

Left to right: Mithra Parang, Wolfram Parang, Jove Corvus, Rahel Senjahari (on the chair), Radamanthus, Dante Semut, and Gaheris Curiass.

Group backstory: There was once a vampire called Hakuwa who desires peace between vampires and humans. At the time vampires are not exactly on good terms with humans. Hakuwa tried to use Princess Rahel to gain political leverage for his cause, but failed and he was killed in the process. Princess Rahel, who had come to sympathize with his cause, decided to continue his efforts. She reached out to Hakuwa’s close friends for help and together they started the Order.

So these are potentially just background characters that we don’t meet in the main story. At best all we get is an infodump about the Order because one of the major characters descended from Jove, but hey. Just in case I decide to go more in-depth with this. I’m designing Destanagas-verse to be a playground universe where the basic history and setting is set up and I can get a dozen different epic stories depending on which part of the timeline I want to focus on. Maybe one day I’ll go back in time to this era and detail the Order’s activities…

Wait, isn’t Order of Twilight something from Curse At Twilight? I’m working on giving the group a better name, so that’s just a temporary name.

Yeah, a number of the names are just me being a smartass. If you catch something silly, that’s on purpose.

Also. Kudos if you can locate the HIDDEN CLUES because it’s so funny. I’m in stitches here.

Some pen doodles I made when I was locked out of my apartment earlier. Drawing with a pen is tricky because I can't erase and if something sucks I have to deal with it. Oh well.

This looks eeriely unlike me. Like. It's SO unlike the stuff I normally do it's kind of creepy.

width=500http://25.media.tumblr.com/8233514cc3d9874cad73dc2d610e507c/tumblr_mnqzg7Ty191r7k0jco1_500.jpg[/img]

I went through your gallery and overall, you did some pretty cool stuff!

I particularly enjoyed the Orange-With-A-Mushroom-On-Top-And-Clovers-In-The-Background Planet thingy (bizare and colorful, everything I love) and the J. Depp sketch (needs more practice maybe but you're definitely on the right track!)

Regarding the Seven Deadly Sins, Pride's haircut just reminds me so much of Dameon my mind's having a hard time trying to distinguish the two boys. >< Like his design, though (and the comic page with him and... Daren, right?)

Daren in movement is interesting too (limbs seem to lack flexibility a bit, but that's ok). Concerning her arms, it's not so much a problem of length, but a problem of depth imo. If you intended to make the arms look bent you can work on that rather than extending them. Apart from that, I really like dynamic postures like this one and I know they're not easy to draw, so kudos to you !

Almost peed myself laughing at your dog. Nothing to do with her, though (she's adorable); the moth people from AV3 just traumatized me to the point of cracking up everytime I'd see butterfly wings attached to any body other than that of a butterfly. :laughing:

Also liked the pen doodles (nice work with the shadows) and the Order of Twilight (the Jove guy looks handsooome \o/).

PS: What kind of 'hidden clues' are we supposed to find on the Order of Twilight sketch ? :o

No, Daren's arms ARE too short. I seriously was half-asleep drawing that, but whatever.

Dameon has more beard than Pride, heh. And yes, it's him and Daren. I sometimes ship them because it's funny.

LOL, Jove... He's actually one of my "default dudes". As in I could draw him in 5 minutes without even thinking because his face is so generic :lol:

The "hidden clue" is the misuse of foreign language words as names. I might as well tell you because it hardly matters. "Senjahari", "Parang", and "Semut" are Indonesian words. "Senja hari" means "dusk/twilight". "Semut" meants "ant". "Parang" is a kind of machete.

It's funny because I see in a lot of homemade/indie games people using foreign words straightforwardly as names and it's just REALLY weird when I actually understand those words. I mean, imagine if I had written those names in English. "Mithra Machete" kind of sounds dumb.

By the by... have you seen my Aveyond fanart gallery? Because if you laughed at my butterflydog, I really want to know what you think of CaterpillarStella :P

Heh, it's often those generic/default/easy-to-draw type of dudes that turn out to be better-looking (since you usually know pretty much exactly where you're going when you draw them).

I guess those you could've had a bit more trouble with would rather be Radamanthus (older dude) or Rahel, Mithra and Wolfram (seemingly "ethnic" people -ugh, not really fond of that expression-). You did a great job with all of them, though. :)

Wut ? Caterpillar-Stella, you say ?! I HAVE to see that :laughing:

PS: Indeed, "Machete" or "Ant" as a last name would defnitely sound a little retarded :lol:

Look at the "This World makes no sense" gallery for CaterpillarStella. I have three galleries here and that's the Aveyond-only one.

None of them are hard to draw, really. They just look "different" because I actually took the effort to purposely make them look different. I'm really tired of drawing the same generic faces all the time.

Uh... I recently saw this book called Sengoku Jidai no Ike-men ga Kakeru Eshi Jiten. Which is... "Guide to draw historical Japanese figures as hot guys".

So I went and did the ones I thought was the funniest.

width=500http://24.media.tumblr.com/ad1fe5e851e2efda2f6ef5042f31d0c4/tumblr_mnxbgmFaji1r7k0jco1_500.jpg[/img]

I seriously sat there and laughed for a good long while at Yoshimoto Imagawa and Shingen Takeda. They're the very last people I would think of if you ever tell me "Ikemen warlords". Especially Imagawa. It's a common trope to dress him up to look like a stupid clown, so making him look super duper pretty and girly threw me off the loop.

Saitou Dousan I wasn't expecting to be included in the list, but then again, there's a whole bunch of people I don't recognize included too. This book apparently covers a wider scope of people than I expected.

Drawing Mitsuhide Akechi makes me feel like drawing shoujo Gyendal. With his hair on reverse. My Gyendal has long hair on the left side of his head; Akechi's is on the right. Good grief, it makes me feel kind of funny inside. It's like, I was flipping through the book and BAM! Hi, not-Gyendal!

And I find it funny that of all people, Nobunaga Oda is the only one who looks exactly the way he's normally drawn. That is not pretty. That is kind of manly-looking compared to everyone else. Maybe the guy's face is too iconic to alter too much? Because they don't seem to care about going whacky with everyone else's faces!

Since my knowledge of the Sengoku era (and Japanese history in general) boils down to Oda Nobunaga's face, I can't say much about the other guys you drew, except maybe that they indeed look like bishie now (lol @Imagawa's face & hairdo :D ).

I think you got it right, though, when you say that Nobunaga's face is way too famous to be played around with (makes sense since he must be one of if not the most renowned figure in Japanese history).

You can't exactly say "Nobunaga's face is so iconic", though. Various interpretations of him make him look quite different from one another. The only thing that they all have in common is that he has a scowling expression and moustache. That's it.

And they could retain those "features" and still make him pretty. Saitou Dousan was prettier and the guy had a beard too!

What I was wailing about was more that he was drawn seriously far more manly than everyone else, with a thicker jaw and all that. He looks fierce, not pretty or sparkly.

Hey, some manly features in this bunch of cute/sparkly boys can't hurt. I think it gives him more 'personality', in the sense that when I see his face, I'll be like 'hey, could it be Oda Nobunaga?' rather than 'hey, could it be... another pretty boy anime face ?'. Plus, he's no less attractive than the other guys, drawn like that :P

So yeah, I don't necessarily see his manliness as something to wail about.

... But no doubt about it, he sure doesn't look pretty at all. :lol:

But it looks OUT OF PLACE. Don't get me wrong; I don't mind Nobunaga being manly and badass. In fact, I am more disturbed by a pretty and sparkly Nobunaga than a manly one. Thing is, it just sticks out like a sore thumb. I look at a book of pretty boys, then out of nowhere, BAM! Badass!Manly!Nobunaga.

It just ends up being mind-boggling. All I'm getting out of it is that the artist thinks "He is already too sexy I don't need to do anything to him". Which is, you know, an idea that is kind of hard to wrap my head around :S It just... doesn't make sense.

Aah, I think I get it! You saw his face and you thought "What the hell is that manly Nobunaga doing in a guide book supposed to help me draw historical japanese figures as pretty boys? oO"

And it must have felt even more awkward that he was the ONLY one to be drawn this way. :lol:

You're right, the choice made by the artist regarding Nobunaga's face doesn't really make sense, but hey, I guess you'll just have to deal with it, lol.

It's even more herp derp when HIS FATHER-IN-LAW is prettier than him. I failed in copying the art, but whatever. In the book Saitou Dousan is prettier than Nobunaga and I'm just laughing my butt off. Good thing I'm at home, not at the library.

Proving my point that it's possible to draw Nobunaga looking pretty while still keeping all his, ahem, "iconic" features.

I took the design from the book and just drew it "prettier".

Not that I know why anyone would want to make Nobunaga still look like himself but prettier. If they want him pretty, it's better to toss logic out the window and just make him super sparkly pretty (ew).

width=500http://24.media.tumblr.com/f59c87d0dd257ea4c9cbd1f20ae3a464/tumblr_mo3z9x7CDs1r7k0jco1_500.jpg[/img]

And because I'm stupid I went and coloured it in the style I normally see otome game artists use (more or less):

width=400http://24.media.tumblr.com/9a7ca2fdd04fa7f26bd7b2a1e936d3a8/tumblr_mo4jw4YlAG1r7k0jco1_500.jpg[/img]

OKAY ENOUGH I PROVED MY POINT AND I JUST SUCCESSFULLY MADE MYSELF ILL. EWW. THAT WAS SICKENING *BARF* OH THE THINGS I DO FOR MY OWN PRIDE. I JUST HAD TO "PROVE" MY POINT EVEN THOUGH IT'S UNNECESSARY.

Indeed it was totally unnecessary (everyone looks prettier in sparkly shojo-anime style if you put minimal effort into it x) ), but since the 'argument' you've just drawn to prove your point is so very nicely done, you're forgiven. :D

Well, we WERE speculating that the artist was too scared to bastardize the design if he/she drew Nobunaga in "pretty style" and I wanted to see if that was the case. I mean, I do agree that sometimes things just don't translate well in shoujo style and you simply Cannot Do It.

Apparently that is not true. I still don't think my drawing is THAT pretty, but at least it's something that fits better in the book than what they actually have there, so my point is proven (needlessly).

I don't even know WHY anyone would want to draw a pretty Nobunaga that still retains his "classic" physical attributes anyway. If you want to make him pretty, just throw logic out the window and make him pretty! Like this, for example.

Original story, yay! Not posting a thread because I'm not too sure about it yet, so I'm posting it here instead.

width=500http://25.media.tumblr.com/4252fc80655e2f12cf8661d25fb5c21f/tumblr_mp59q4pHcq1r7k0jco1_500.jpg[/img]

Bushitto the poetry-loving food connoisseur is the main hero. Shinoki, the shogun's flamboyant son, is the sidekick. They're the starting party you set out with. The other party members... er, coming soon. Because I haven't written out the story that far yet.

This time even though the sprites are default, the facesets will be custom-made by me so I'm roughing out the face designs.

I so totally need to observe more anime and games to see how they spice up traditional Japanese garb without losing the traditional aesthetics and turning them into a total WTF-fantasy style :S I'm drawing a blank here.

I like Bushitto's face and the fact that he (with his sober clothing and apparently more reserved and cool-headed look) is actually the main hero rather than the flashy "Nobunaga-esque" Shinoki guy.

As for your chibis, I'm totally digging those funny poses, especially Toyotomi's, haha (this one just made my day :D ).

Heh, Hideyoshi is my favourite too. He's cute. Nobunaga isn't bad too. His manic grin is hilariously endearing.

Nobunaga-esque, you say? Well, I was basing the faces on the sprites. Obviously I need to work on my "drawing bearded old goats" skills. Though in my defense... the samurai pack sprites are knockoffs of historical characters and this sprite IS a Nobunaga-knockoff.

I chose these guys because they're not often used in games as the hero party and I want to be special, but I'm not fond of cocky flamboyant heroes so that's why Shinoki is shoved into the "sidekick" slot. It's like playing AV2 with Gavin as your main hero. No way!