Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
shaz

How do you like your Endings?

@d_a: You misunderstood me. I like the crab and Ashara's Tomb, and similar things to that, but AV3 didn't have a lot of that until TLO, and even then it felt like it didn't "fit" into the game (which is obviously because it didn't fit, and, as you said, was pasted on).

The end of AV3 tied everything up too nicely. The epilogue scrawl makes sure of that. There's no mystery about what happened to the characters, and there's no feeling of goodbye because you just assume they'll see each other again next Christmas or whatever. AV2, on the other hand, ends with a lot of ambiguity, which is cool (for me). These goodbyes feel real. Also, the choices were missing from AV3. You choose who he marries, but not the fate of Mel herself, the MAIN CHARACTER. So yeah, that bugs me too.

For what it's worth, TLO is my favorite Aveyond game, and I really like LoT and GoN as well. I'm only critical of AV3 as a whole (and TDP, although I've only played it once, so I need to see if I like it better the second time around).

I agree - I love TLO too. It just has that general feeling that made it really stand out. And no, it's not just because of Nox. XD

@iPink: I never said you disliked them. It's the part about you thought they don't have the lived-in feel that gives me a headscratch moment. Like, so the tomb and the crab is there. Point being?

Anyways, yeah, I get that you mean they don't fit in well because it didn't exist in the previous chapters, but I ignored it because they're in a different island so different architecture/place/monsters is to be expected. They're there just because.

There's no mystery about what happened to the characters, and there's no feeling of goodbye because you just assume they'll see each other again next Christmas or whatever. AV2, on the other hand, ends with a lot of ambiguity, which is cool (for me). These goodbyes feel real.

How is there ambiguity in AV2? you're making mysteries out of nothing here! :o Party split, everyone went to wherever, end of story.

@Rogue: To be fair, the deal with Aveyond 1 and 3 was the hero team taking "preventive measures". Nothing major had been affected other than the destroyed-Thais in AV1, so it makes sense that nobody really cares. It's because nobody knows what's going on. So was the majority of AV3. Gyendal wasn't exactly public with his intentions, so... It's the TDP part that really makes no sense. Mel captured the kings and queens and once you're done, there's no repercussions. I don't know how they could have NOT seen Mel and recognized her.

@Elemental: And Nox was a lot cooler in TLO than TDP. Mostly because TLO felt like it was leading up to something really big, and then TDP was really anticlimactic in regards to Nox/the twins.

@d_a: What I'm trying (and apparently failing XD) to say is that Ashara's Tomb and the crab are just little things that make it feel like the world is a real place. Eldrion feels like it would be there whether we visited it or not, as do the worlds in AP, AV1, and AV2. In LoT, GoN, and TDP, the world feels explicitly crafted for the characters. Which feels kind of false. I really don't know how better to explain it.

And I think I've just figured out exactly what makes the ending of AV2 works for me and AV3's really doesn't: in AV2, the story ends, the people go back to their lives, and there's that bittersweet goodbye, because the world seems to go on past that moment and you don't know what happens, and don't need to (ambiguity, etc.). In AV3, it feels truly like an ending. It doesn't feel like the characters walk off the screen to continue their lives. It feels like they cease to exist after the ending. I can imagine all of them going off to live their lives, but I can't believe it. I'm probably alone in this, but that's how I feel. And I think the artificiality of the world for much of AV3 is part of it. I can't believe that it's a real place, so how can I believe that the characters can continue to exist in it?

@iPink: It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. I don't understand your entire perspective, period. I don't feel like AV3's places are conthrived. I don't feel like the ending makes the characters seem to cease to exist. AV3's places seem as legit as any other places to ever exist in other AVs and its ending is as good/bad as the others. I don't know you can get this kind of outlook at it, and frankly it's none of my business. My view of Aveyond is tainted by my crackshipping lens, so there's a lot of things that I let slide just because I don't care.

For me, it is very important that all the questions are answered in the end of the series, so if I know there will be a sequal, im fine with some open plots.

I think the ending may be a bit dark or sad, but it is very important that I don´t feel like i am a bad player, or that I feel powerless. I have to know it was meant to end this way, and it doesn´t dissapoint me. But if the endboss just smacks me down in the end and calls me weak, that´s just annoying

I'm glad Aveyond since changed "Dead" status to "incapacitated", though. Otherwise if someone's dead in the cutscenes, people are going to flail about why cassia leaves don't work anymore (e.g Dead Stella if you didn't choose her in AV3).

yeah that is a good decision.remember in AP the characters could still fight(while they were dead) but just cant walk.that seemed kinda unreal.AND they replenished their health after you sleep(for a few times),that just changed the meaning of the word "dead" completely. i think incapacitated is THE word.

Only it would make things seem weird if the writer decide to have a character killed of for real. You see, if characters have been dying and getting brought back to life with Cassia Leaves, it just don't make sense why it wouldn't work for that particular event, and that could count as an idiot plot/moment.

Anyway, Aveyond never seem to really kill off the protagonists. Sure, you can have Jack eaten in AP, and he'd die for real- but it's optional and most players would choose another alternative where no one dies; or you can not choose Stella in AV3 and let her die, but that's not even permanent since she's brought back to life in the next chapter

Yeah but sometimes RPGs doesn't have to make sense. Like barging in through someone's house, talking to everyone etc etc. Gamers don't really think much of it anyways.

Like in most endings, some would probably think "if the 'bad guy' is 'killed', then wouldn't it make sense for him/her to use 'phoenix down' again?" But who in their right mind would want to revive them anyways? So that might 'balance' out the death/resurrecting contradiction and the idiotic moment.

Ditto ivana. I even find that status like "exhausted" strange. Dead in battles is different with dead in 'actual' events, and everyone knows it. If a character dies outside from a battle(a.k.a canon), well, cuz it's how the story goes. But if a battler dies in normal battle, it's because he's lost all of his life points. No life points = dead.

Point taken, but there should probably be a justifiable reason on why this particular "death" is different and the character can't be revived with normal means. In Jack's case in AP, he gets eaten, and can't be revived because there's no body left. With the Villains' case, it's mostly because they're forever alone and don't have friends/minions around to revive them when our heroes kill them. Also because they never seem to leave their lairs, they probably don't store up Cassia Leaves/potions we have in our inventories.

Well, what's so weird about "incapacitated"? It means you can't do anything at all. Whether you're incapacitated because you're unconscious or dead is not part of the question. I just dislike the idea of using "dead" as status because of possible plot discrepancies (e.g: CASSIA LEAVES Y U NO REVIVE STELLA???).

I'm more okay with people barging in houses than the dead status. The in-game battles ARE still technically part of the story, so there's no reason why Cassia leaves work on the dead people in regular combat and doesn't work when people die by plot.

I agree with d_a incapacitated makes a lot more sense than dead when it comes to avoiding plot discrepancies.

If someone's just incapacitated, then it'll make sense why you can't revive a dead character with what you use to revive the incapacitated party member.

Eh, I don't get why 'dead' status is so jarring. It's just one of those rpg things, like why I can travel from one end of of AV to the other tend and back 20 times but is still only 1 day game time.

Or why our characters don't ever need to eat/sleep/use the toilet/etc.

I'm fine with dead/knocked out/incapacitated/fainted. I really don't pay attention to the wording since in battle, it means I'm down a fighter and need to do some reviving asap.

@KTC: Some people have logic issues with "dead" as a status. If you can revive the dead-from-battle with xxx item, then someone dies-by-plot, some have issues with why they can't revive the dead person with xxx.

Eh, I have a logic issue more with why I need to open a chest with XX key instead of smashing the lid open but you can't satisfy everyone lol.

Meh, you can argue that the chest might be made of special materials that you can't just smash with your weapon, and needs a special key to open. Some illogical stuffs in game can be explained or justified, and some can't.

I don't mind death statuses in games- it only becomes a problem when a character is killed of for real, and it is not explained why the previous resurrection methods don't work on this case. Even if the writer is too lazy to think of reasons, it could at least be lampshaded ("Why can't I revive X using the Cassia Leaves? It always work before!" or something like that).

Naw, the chests are plain ole non-enchanted wood and you got xx sword of invincibility. Smashiness should be enabled (and is thanks to certain mods heh.)

I mean seriously, I have a ~10 foot golem on my side and a puny chest is just begging to be smashed. But of course, I can't.