Aveyond Studios Community
Meroko

Doodled doodles (?)

emma2j.jpg

Finished drawing this, this morning at 4:00 AM. The date in the picture actually should be 29/04/2013 [Monday]; I must be feeling very sleepy when adding the dates by then. XP

It’s my fan-art for Jane Austen’s “Emma” and yes, they’re Emma Woodhouse and Mr. Knightley. My fave pairing there. =)

Emma's dress? Yeah, it looks like a nightdress but...it's the late 19th century's fashion, so... ;)

TODAY. Is the day I finally learnt how to draw a digital art using Paint Tool SAI! Thanks to a very useful and detailed SAI tutorial on a forum. :D

So, here is my FIRST pic ever done with that program and it took me about 4 hours. (My neck and back ache a lot now) T^T

newcanvasrl.jpg

The pic comes with a dedication as you can see in the pic ;) Why dedicated to her? Hm, her arts inspired me to try drawing over computer *huggles Azure* =3

Yup, the pic's a bit messy here and there SO, nitpicking would be a lot appreciable for me since I'm a total beginner at the moment.

Aww Meroko! I looove the Emma pic :loving: it's so good!

And wow . . . You drew that with a mouse. Wah. I could never do something like that! (everyone on AM are such good artists! I envy everyone's artistic abilities)

Thanks, Indra. I'm a big fan of Jane Austen's "Emma" and "Pride and Prejudice" novels (have never watched the movies though) :D

And mouse is pretty hard to handle so I zoomed in and drew super slowly. P= The eraser saved me a lot in this process too :D But I guess drawing in the tablet would be a lot convienient V.V

I love Pride and Prejudice! I like old books like that :P they're good. (especially Little Women . . . I love that!)

Anyways, back to art . . . Still wow. I have a tablet, so I would try to do that stuff, but I lost my stylus :facepalm: silly, silly Indra. Watch it show up once I buy a new one.

And I like your art at the beginning. I draw on my school paper too XD

Cool doodles, Meroko!

Especially like the Danny/Rhen drawing and the "Emma" fanart cover (I did hear of that book but the only Jane Austen I've read so far is Pride & Prejudice). Nice to see some Dameon/Rhen stuff, too, even though it's not my fav' Rhen/ pairing, haha.

Congrats for being able to draw with a mouse: I know I would totally messed up every drawing I'd try to make! Plus, digital painting softwares scare me.

I'm curious to see what you could do with a tablet :)

@Meroko: I was wondering because it REALLY looks wobbly. Were you actually drawing with the mouse itself? Because it really bothers me. Or maybe that's just the line tool being wonky?

But either way. It's a first-time mouse work. Can't be helped. Like, I would mention that the very curved nose bothers me a bit, but that could also be just style.

So. Main critique. I see very very vague shading so I think I can assume it wasn't just flat colours. When you do shade... do try not to use a shading colour that's too close to the main colour. I could barely see it and if I didn't see that tiny bit of shading on the neck and eyebrows I would've assumed that wasn't shaded at all.

Shadows need to be bold enough to contrast the main colours, but don't overdo it or it will look weird.

I LOVE it (T//w//T*)!! Thank you so much Meroko! I'll definitely treasure it (OuQ*)!! *huggies*

And I'm impressed by you only using a mouse to do this one too. I'm sure after you've got your tablet you will do even better (OuQ*).

It's just so nice to be a friend of yours; and thanks for saying that my arts inspired you to try drawing over computer. That encouraged me a lot!

I'll do a dedication for you in return (>///<*)!

@Indra: I'm a fan of old books too. I personally prefer them over novels nowadays XP I've read Little Women before though...like 5 years ago XD

@Lindrah: Emma is good too, and less complicated than Pride and Prejudice ;)

@d_a: Line tool...? :o Um, all I used was a pen tool and have no idea what a line tool is O_O??

daeva_agas wrote:

So. Main critique. I see very very vague shading so I think I can assume it wasn't just flat colours. When you do shade... do try not to use a shading colour that's too close to the main colour. I could barely see it and if I didn't see that tiny bit of shading on the neck and eyebrows I would've assumed that wasn't shaded at all.

Shadows need to be bold enough to contrast the main colours, but don't overdo it or it will look weird.

Okay, so...I re-edited the shading like this (please don't mind the curvy nose XD):

newcanvas11.jpg

I chose a really dull falu red as a shading color for skin here; I hope it's not overdone. I used brown in the earlier pic.

@Azure: Tablet? Hm, maybe I'll try on it...someday. :D But I'm just wondering one thing. Can I import hand-drawn drawings to SAI as a sketch and lineart and color it there?

Semantics. Line tool = pen tool.

Yes, you can import scanned art into SAI. Just set the sketch layer to Multiply and put the colouring layers underneath.

And I still think the shading's too pale, but maybe that's just me. In most anime/manga/whatever, the shading is this dark:

NewCanvas_zpsf0467c21.jpg

Contrast, mister. Contrast. It's your friend. I get told a lot in school. Little to no contrast = BAD.

Wow, the skin shade looks a lot better =3 Though I might want to reduce the hair shade opacity a lil' bit. Thanks, d_a. I'll try it out in my practices :D

That's not an opacity problem, as I didn't even USE "opacity". I just painted right on the image coz I don't have the original file with layers. The hair shade was off-colour. I chose a colour that was too desaturated. Yellow is a considerably bright colour so I should have used a colour that's more bright (saturated).

And there's another tip for yah. Avoid colours that are too near the left and bottom edge of the colour dock unless you're doing a complex painting that needs lots of different colours or the base colour IS dark/greyish.

2nd SAI sketch; practice centered on shading and contrast. It didn't take me long this time. :D

947115_176396492527849_1563103139_n.jpg

The girl in the pic's essence is taken from a host girl named Amane from Dream C Club Clock. The Japanese styled date's also inspired by it.

Shading is still pale but I don't like really dark shades either -.- Hm, so...? Oh, and I didn't use Opacity for shade this time but Blur tool instead :D

Umm . . . I have to agree with Meroko. What?

But otherwise, that's really cool Meroko! Shading has always been something that I'm not very good at :P really just drawing in general. (I have my little Aveyond pixels . . . That's all I need)

So good job. But . . . Where are her eyes? Just wondering.

Yeah, spamming or what?

Me either, Indra. I'm not good at shading either; you know, shading is due to light source and blah blah blahs xD At least, this one is better than the last one I hope ^^

Hm, no eye. I just wanted to practice shading so I didn't add much details :D

AND, I just scribbled this a few minutes ago:

945648_176505255850306_995420278_n.jpg

1002261_176505292516969_683005964_n.jpg

^Done with mouse. And, it's actually meant to be a guy. But sadly, it turned out to be a guy with feminine essence V.V Meh, at least worth a try :D

I could steadily handle my movement with a mouse now.

Looks like a dude to me *shrug* I don't think it's very girlish.

And all that light source stuff drives me crazy. That's why I do sketches with pens :D but then I can't erase . . . Bleah.

And nice work with a mouse! My hands are ultra shaky when I try to do that. That's why I'm amazed when anyone can do something really good with a mouse. But I'm curious . . . What does that Japanese(?) text say? I only know English and some French, so I'm lost here :P

黒月=Kurotsuki

The meaning is Black Moon (kind of nonsense-ish) ^^'

Hm, shaky? Do you adjust the stabilizer, Indra? Pencil + S-7 stabilizer is really slow when drawing and can control steadily (?)

Lolz, glad to hear someone thinks of him as a boy xD