Aveyond Studios Community
Meroko

Doodled doodles (?)

@d_a: Nothing weird about the way it's written imo: Mero' just superposed the kanjis.

@Meroko: your first mouse drawing really looks better with more contrast! Your second one is fine too, even though I'm not so sure about the position of some of the shadows.

And your Kurotsuki boy definitely looks like one, don't worry. :D

@Indra: Yup, there's a stabilizer tool at the top of the drawing box. This tool affects on your pencil speed.

@d_a: By weirdly written, you mean the way I stroked the kanji or the superposition of 黒? Well, to be honest, I can only write Hiragana and Katankana and am not in the level to write kanji so...the stroking of the kanji characters might look a bit weird. ^^'

@Lindrah: Position of some of the shadows. They're really confusing @__@

That Kurotsuki pic's done for my pixiv account's avatar and the kanji is my username. ;)

@Lindrah: I know that's what Meroko did! I'm not blind :lol: However, there IS still an art to writing decorative text and the way Meroko did it is careless of design. It's just two characters plonked on top of each other without any consideration of what it would look like, so it just seems very strange.

@Meroko: See above reply to Lindrah. I know it's for fun, it's doodles, it's rough scribbles, but what you did ended up looking more like a mistake to me. You know I'm nitpicky like that :P Not policing you to go change it or anything. I just personally find that it's quite... awful to look at.

@Meroko: I wish I had known about the stablizer :facepalm:

As for the words: as someone who doesn't know/speak/read Japanese, I think it looks cool :D but then again . . . I don't know anything about it, so I'm done talking.

You can't get any tips from those because those aren't tips. That is just a showcase of "amazing arts". At best you'd get motivated to do better, and at worst you get insanely jealous :lol:

"Tips" are instructions/advice/directions/general guidance on a certain subject :P Just looking at an amazing art won't help you anything unless the artist is there to explain how they did it.

@SilverDragon: I have to say I agree with d_a; I don't think anybody, especially not a beginner, would get any sort of tips from those amazing artworks (not without WIPs and some annotations at the very least). ^^

@d_a: Haha sorry; I didn't know exactly what you found weird about the kanjis, so I assumed it was the way they were superposed that bugged you. Well not everyone knows how to write kanjis properly (strokes order etc). Even so I think Mero' did relatively well (I mean you can recognize the the kanjis when you know them).

Ditto d_a. Plus, I'm not into realistic art at all :P

Btw, I started drawing this yesterday and just finished by today:

1000906_177303442437154_926881112_n.jpg

Spirited Away completed fan-art!

Still need to work on the background more. Please don't ask me where the eyes are cuz eyes show emotions and are the LIFE of a pic so...um, I'm not very good at it I guess. xD

Even though eyes aren't easy for you to draw, you should force yourself to do them: you can only improve by practising :b

The shadows are fine, but you should try and do like d_a did with your first drawing: use a wider range of colors when you do the shading to add more contrast (don't know if that's the right way to say it) and also add highlights (to make it look more tree-dimensional).

Other than that, it looks great... AND the kanjis and hiragana are well written imo. x)

OH MY GOD IT'S SPIRITED AWAY *giant squeal*

Oohh Meroko I love that movie :awww: yay!

Okay. Sorry. Yeah, I think the eyes need a little work, but otherwise I love it :) cause that's, like, awesome.

I like how the linearts are coloured. I don't like how the lineart on the girl's hair is lighter than the hair. Don't do that. It looks weird.

The shading is much better, heh. I have no complaints because it's anime.

@Lindrah and Indra (lolz, the name kind of rhymes :P ): *sighs* Eyes...to be honest, I've tried adding eyes to the pic. But then I erased them because they don't give the right expression. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing. -.- Here is the reference pic which is a screenshot from the movie btw:

3cqv.jpg

^Shading and stuffs all based on it and added a few more shadow on Haku's clothes.

@d_a: Yeah, now that I looked at it carefully it looks weird and messy. :o

Btw, how do I make background like this and this and this? I just have to play around with the brushes or any other ways?

Texture, stock patterns, and layer effects. The lace is stock patern. The splattered and grainy effect background is a combination of texture and layer mode.

Texture can be anything from ink stains to cardboard to dirt to cracked concrete. It is then dumped on top of the image, with various layer settings applied. Above the layerwindow in SAI, there should be a drop down menu of layer mode (it says luminosity, overlay, multiply, etc). Play around with those until you find a good one. Then combine it with another layer of colour gradients, also set on a layer mode that is not just the basic "normal" mode.

You can find tutorials about this on deviantart. Look for "texture background" tutorials.

So, I started working on this piece three days ago and just finished it:

1013783_181764365324395_207669212_n.jpg

Does anyone ever happen to play this RPG? I'm really into it lately XD

I applied texture thing here. And I messed up with the kanji label (I hope at least it can be read ^^' ) Oh, and the eyes? Hmm, I might add them later but not just now. XD XD

A practice piece, mainly centered on the eye, with the aid of Rekka's tutorials. The BG credit belongs to...someone from dA whoever created it ^^'

tumblr_mp3vuxxKDn1svftzlo1_1280.jpg

So...?

P.S: Thanks a lot, Rekka, for explaining me patiently and linking me to useful tutorials and screenshots! =D

Hi Meroko!

I saw all your art here and I think you are making a progress.

About the shading, in general I believe its tricky, especially when we don't have a reference pic or a model!! We have to be careful with the angle of the light, the curves of the object, the tone and color of the shading and more. Personally I find it easier to do a corect shading in a realistic drawing rather than in anime style, but I think that you don't have that problem.

What I would like to suggest is, try to make some of the lines in your drawings stronger. For example, in your "Spirited Away" pic, the boy's eyebrows and nose lines could be thicker than the face line and not even at their whole length.

Your last pic, the girl with the purple roses backround, is better and more interesting with the variety of the lines thickness of the pencil (it is pencil isn't it?)!

About the eyes, I don't mind them missing, but I'm sure you can do it! Just keep practising until you are satisfied by the outcome!! :)