Aveyond Studios Community
Meroko

Doodled doodles (?)

Hello Morella! :D

Your comment was really, really helpful and I appreciate it a lot =)

Morella wrote:

Personally I find it easier to do a corect shading in a realistic drawing rather than in anime style, but I think that you don't have that problem

Hmm, I agree with you. ;) But I still find shading in anime style somewhat tricky. And I'm most confident with it when there is a model to rely to. Like "Spirited Away" pic for example. I feel as if the shading in that pic's the best I've done so far (since there is model original pic)

Morella wrote:

What I would like to suggest is, try to make some of the lines in your drawings stronger. For example, in your "Spirited Away" pic, the boy's eyebrows and nose lines could be thicker than the face line and not even at their whole length.

I'll keep that in mind, and will try to apply in my next drawings.

The last Purple BG-ed pic was drawn in dA Muro application. I used a tool called "Sketchy Pen". I never really adjusted the line thickness; the Sketchy Pen did it ;) I really loved that pen.

Morella wrote:

About the eyes, I don't mind them missing, but I'm sure you can do it! Just keep practising until you are satisfied by the outcome!!

Morella, thank you. That really encouraged me. I've tried adding those eyeless pics before, to be honest. And the eyes just destroyed the whole pic. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing until I get the right eyes that hold the right emotion for the pic. :D

Meroko, next time DO leave the eyes in so we can give input :P

For example, in your "Spirited Away" pic, the boy's eyebrows and nose lines could be thicker than the face line and not even at their whole length.

This I actually disagree with. Because the face is "blank", it would be better if the eyebrows and nose be THINNER than the face/jaw line. Making the eyebrows and nose thick would highlight the missing eyes and make it seem like a mistake. Making the lines thin would make it seem more like an intentional artistic choice.

Heck, even if there ARE eyes, I don't think the facial features should have thicker lines than the face. The face lines is a "frame" for the face. To make the face features thick would make them "pop out" of the face. It's fine for expressing intense emotion, like anger, but not for general "quiet/still" art.

Meroko: I'm really glad if I can offer any help.

You and the others here, helped me very much with your comments and advice to improve!!!

About the anime style shading, I find it tricky too!:)

Don't worry about the eyes, it's difficult to capture the right emotion, sometimes even for professional artists!

daeva_agas : I believe that the face line is a frame for the face, but the basic theme is the face characteristics. The frame helps the eye to concetrate to the main theme, like the frame does for a picture.

But in the end everything depends from the artist's style! My suggestion may or may not work with Meroko's style, but even if it doesn't it will definitely help him in the end.

I believe that by hearing different opinions, trying new things and practising make you better and help you find your own path.

There are some basic rules and guidelines considering art, but there are also some artists that broke those rules and created beautiful art! So lets be open minded!

Art is art, but art theory exist for a reason. Stuff like "rule of thirds" and the "golden ratio" isn't created for giggles. Human biology and psychology and all that. Of course the artist is allowed to do whatever they want, but these kind of stuff is worth knowing anyway.

but the basic theme is the face characteristics. The frame helps the eye to concetrate to the main theme, like the frame does for a picture.

Which is why the frame needs to be bold so that the "main image" don't blend in with the background. The characters in Meroko's art has no "face", so to speak. In this kind of image, I personally think it's best to put focus on the character's gesture and full-body pose instead of the face. Making the eyebrows and nose thick would draw attention to the fact that the face is blank and distract the viewer.

In general, though, having facial features be thicker than face lines is akin to having a live human being in a 2D cartoon. It's fine if you want to be artistic in an unconventional way or experimenting with style or you just like it that way, but emphasis on "unconventional".

Why are face lines normally drawn thicker than eyes/nose/mouth? Because it both reflects realism and out of artistic necessity.

The thickness of lineart emphasis shadows. That's part of the reason why it's recommended to draw liines with varying width, even if the picture will end up being shaded/toned/coloured.

The shadows on the face is less dark than shadows where the head meets the neck and hair, so it makes more sense to draw the eyes and nose and mouth and eyebrows with thinner lines.

The lines are also meant to separate sections, this is kind of obvious. The parts that meets the background has to be thick to distinguish the character from the background. Characters blending into the background is not very good. Thick lineart also helps separate the face from the hair.

Hurray for art theory babble. This is what I was told when I was learning about line weights by teachers :lock:

daeva_agas: Yes, yes, I know what you mean about the outlines or rules like "golden ratio" and "rule of thirds", I've also studied drawing (not anime style like you probably have), I'm not sure which is the right term in english classic, realistic...

Unconventional isn't bad, sometimes the outcome is very interesting! You seem to be more strict and categorical about drawing styles, I like mixed styles. That's ok, everyone is entitled to his opinion!

In conclusion, I still believe that trying different things is good, even if it's only for the sake of practice and in the end you'll discard them as unsuitable.

Yeah, that's my personal opinion only AND my very lengthy reason for my I thought it was so. I had issues more with how you word things. You're making it sound like I hate "trying out new things".

And whut, you don't exactly "study" anime style :S What IS there to be studied? I mean, anime is nothing but simplification of reality, so rules that apply to realism applies in anime too. I don't study anime style.I learn the anatomy and life-drawing. I just happen to start my learning by drawing anime and so the style got stuck.

daeva_agas: No, no, no! I didn't mean that you hate new or different things!! I'm sorry if that's how it sounded! What I mean is that you seem to have, how should I say that... a more firm...steady... way of thinking about drawing styles. I don't mean it as a bad thing. You know, sometimes when you try to express your opinion in writing, especially in an other language than your own, it's tricky!

And about the studies matter, there are schools where you can study about comics, so I guessed that there are also schools where you can study about anime.

As for the rules, of course in general they apply to anime style as they do to realism, but when you draw in realism you don't use strong outlines, basically you work with forms/shapes of light and shadow.

Been almost a year since I've posted here...!?

Anyways, latest doodle doodled during yesterday's last class:

10259763_298040550363442_8570239667909316669_n.jpg

Suga-kun 「須賀」from Forest of Drizzling Rain 「霧雨が降る森 / Kirisame ga Furu Mori」(excuse my messy kanji writing)

Anyone ever played this horror RPG? O3O? There's also a manga adaption for it, just recently released.

Lel, Silver is too long so I'll just stick up with Sil XDDD 

Haha, sure but they take up my mana =(

Need to refill first XDDDD (lame excuses for laziness) 

Hmm then, I suggest you take a photo under a bright light (a lamp for example). It'll eventually come out as a good one :)

Too busy to draw these days, especially when uni's just opened last week :v