Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Axel Moonsong

Anything, Vegetarian , Vegan?

@d_a I was speaking about the already cut-off and all the feather plucked. I don't know about you, but it makes me shiver just thinking that I could have been in its place... I grew up with animals, especially birds and farm animals, and seeing by humble friends like that makes me want to starve rather than kill them... I wouldn't be able to kill an animal even if someone was putting a gun at my head, be it for food or whatever sick reason...

@Ruffi I am sensible just to blood and flesh, with the insects I have no problem, as long as they're not parasites ( fleas, lice, ticks, flies, etc. ). I usually let them roam on my hand a little and then let them go. ( And no, I don't do that with potentially venomous creatures, I'm smarter than that. ) I like butterflies and crickets, but if my classmates would see any of those, would really gross out. If you bring about the cockroaches, I'd rather not touch them. They eat human saliva which is dripping during sleep, dead cells or skin, or dead insect bodies, and they can give you a really unpleasant reaction to your skin.

Also, my diet is perfect, I am officially one of the healthiest people in my family, the family doctor said that, compared to dad, and mom, and you name it. She said that at my metabolism and current health, I should have no problems for a long time coming up.

What's wrong with the head cut off and feathers plucked? That's completely...normal around here.

Though I am used to seeing the head attached too as Chinese markets tend to have the head included. Only non-chinese stores get rid of the head also.

I grew up raising chickens and various other animals. I watched the chicken lay eggs. I watched the little chicks run around the mother hen all cute and fluffy. I watched the chicks grow up into roosters and hens. And guess what? When the chickens are old enough, we kill it and cook it. Yummy!

I personally think it's a little bit far-fetched for you to think "what if I were in its place" because you're not a chicken. If vampires and zombies exist, we human beings might end up becoming someone's dinner.

Then again, I'm just not that big of an animal-lover. After all, the Bible says the animals are for us humans to kill and eat, and I believe what the Bible says :P

@Skyler: Generally, the Bible means the Christian Bible. If it were a different Bible, we would have said so. Just because you couldn't remember that verse doesn't mean it doesn't exist :roll:

Maybe you're NOT reading an English Bible and whatever language your Bible is in phrases the words differently?

I don't recall a rule saying we are not allowed to discuss religious matter, but we should avoid topics that would cause conflict. Religion in relation to food has to be the most harmless religious topic ever. It's almost like a doctor's order, really.

I like meat. Once I traveled to some interiors of China just to get a taste of it. You won't want to know what sort of dishes I ordered there lol... if only they were not that super expensive. Though I kinda feel bad for the animal in question.

---

Let me get on to materials. lol For example, crabs. They should be as fresh as alive and squirming in the bucket from where you bought them back from the market. And to cook them you simply wash them and throw them into boiling salted water. Yummy. Okay, I was exaggerating a little there. Cooking crab is a delicate business.

My point is... the dead chicken head is dead. Leave it for the deco or throw it into the bin. It doesn't change the fact that it's dead and its meat becomes food for us. I understand some may feel uncomfortable with it. I only find it amazing that it's a turning point for someone to turn vegetarian or vagan... or a starting point for this topic.

Leave it for the deco or throw it into the bin.

Or eat it :D

But yeah. It's one thing to consider animals friends, but I think it's taking it a bit too far when one starts thinking "Oh noes, what if it was ME slaughtered and cooked?"

I am sorry you're such a delicate person, Skyler. You might want to get more human friends so you would stop identifying with chickens. It's not a healthy way of thinking.

@bemused: But boiled crab is not as tasty as...erm chinese crab? I don't remember what's it called. Had black bean I think. I saw my mum cook it one time and it's pretty brutal to the crab lol:

Take the still alive crab, pull the shell off, take out the lungs/internal organs as they don't taste good. Keep the stuff in the shell though, that's where the taste comes from. Cut the limbs and than cook the whole thing. Taste soo good.

Haven't tried chicken head yet, though fish head taste good. Crunchy.

I don't understand why certain body parts from animals are gross but certain plant parts are not? I respect that some might find stuff gross, but I just don't quite get the point? The only time I find things gross is when they are smelly and rotten/old, be them eyeballs or potatoes --potatoes are worse :[

@Rufii If potatoes are worst, you have never seen or smelled rotten eggplants. Trust me, something not to be desired during lifetime. And who said plants are not disgusting...? Try cleaning cabbage or salad, and wake yourself up with slime all over it, just see how wonderful that feels...

@Skyler: There's difference between "worse" and "worst". And nope, not gross. I've dealt with a rotten peach so rotten maggots are crawling all over it. My roommate left it in the kitchen then went on a trip for a week and forgot about the fruit. Dealt with dead-and-rotten-half-chewed-rats every other day because my dog likes to eat rats. Dealt with cabbage and salad and I'm TOTALLY not seeing how it's slimy.

@d_a I'm referring to the snails and many other aspects of vegetables. However, vegetables are still not as disgusting as meat...especially putrid one...And yes, I know the difference, but in rush to reply, didn't notice he wrote worse instead of worst. We all do mistakes.

What "other aspects"? Vegetables are vegetables. Okay, slimy and maggoty and rotten veggies can be super-gross, but what is this "other aspects" you're talking about?

Whew. If a dead chicken head makes you so ill that you'd consider forgoing eating meat and veggies are slimy and disgusting... You really are over-sensitive :S

@KTC: I remember fooling around with burners and snails in a biology lab session. The roast/burnt snails smells yummy. Teacher yelled at us for fooling around so I didn't get to taste it. It's unhygienic anyway...

@Skyler:

Try cleaning cabbage or salad, and wake yourself up with slime all over it, just see how wonderful that feels...

Hm, I cook the most often in my family so yes, I actually have cleaned salad AND cabbage numerous times in my life. And it wasn't once when I found slugs inside it. And I took them out and threw them away. I couldn't climb on a chair and lift my apron with two fingers while squealing for someone to come and get it, no? Or just throw away all the salad for one leaf that had a slug on it.

@Cakey, re chicken eyes: I second what KTC said. And incorrectly cooked eyeballs can't possibly be worse than incorrectly cooked kidneys. The latter smell like pee if you don't know how to clean them properly.

@d_a: Society has taught people to be sensitive like that. :/ And this also leads to hundreds of people being anemic and having weak immunity systems and get sick if you as much as breathe towards them. When I go to the countryside, I pick up the apples or pears that have fallen in the mud, I wipe them with a tissue and eat them as they are, well, because it is my garden and I know that nobody walks around there and it's all clean. And I haven't been given shots since four years ago.

@Ruffi I grew at the countryside too, and that's nothing new for me. Everyone has some things which cannot stand, and for me are the next: Flesh, organs and slime. Those are two things I cannot cope with, and neither want to see them. I grew at the countryside, Ruffi, I used and I still use to pull out carrots, just wash them a bit of mud and eat them like that. It's not being over-sensitive but a matter of personal aspects. Also, if you live at countryside doesn't mean you still have to use the same old means of hygiene. ( ex. OUTHOUSE ).