Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Axel Moonsong

Anything, Vegetarian , Vegan?

@agas: yeah, I wouldn't mess with food in the bio labs.

Though there was this one time in the labs we only needed the orange peels so threw the rest of the fruit away. That sucked because the oranges were thinned skinned, were big, and look good.

I grew up in the city and I still don't have any hang ups with chicken heads. I'll give you that I don't deal with 'freshly grown cabbage right from the ground' but chicken heads? Naw.

@Skyler: I said numerous times that I respect people's views towards certain things and that if something makes you throw up, it's your own business and I could not care less. But I won't stop thinking that most of the people have been taught to be sensitive indirectly, by always being taught to clean stuff up, as if dirt was some sort of rabies. And that's why most people are engrossed by certain things they find "dirty": mud, slime, worms, etc etc. And the fear of organs and flesh, I believe is just because of everyone's pity for a certain something. Like, you think of those things having belonged to a living rabbit that needed them to live, and your body immediately feels repugnance towards said animal's organs/flesh/blood.

Speaking of snails, I actually use them to troll people back in Middle School. My campus was located in a humid, high-altitude area, and a lot of snails would be crawling about. I was also one of the fastest eaters in school, so I would actually spend most of my break time waiting for my friends to finish their meal.

It was super boring, so I picked up some pf the snails, and smash them in front of my friends, who were eating and were grossed out. Got in trouble with the principle, and was assigned to write a 1000-word essay on "The Anatomy of Snails" afterwards.

@Rogue: I'm laughingb XDDDD Reminds me of a time when I went with my school to plant trees and there were A LOT of earthworms there. Like all of my girl friends and some dude friends were running away when they would dig up one of them and I would throw them at them. I wanted to slip one down a dude's shirt but he sensed me and started chasing me with a shovel.

@Skyler: Because it's funny to see people grossed out by things you are not XD

I believe that whether or not you eat meat or meat derivatives (reguardless of the reason) is one's own choice and neither is inherently wrong. I don't think we should try to impose our own beliefs on this subject upon one another.

:peace:

I believe that whether or not you eat meat or meat derivatives (reguardless of the reason) is one's own choice and neither is inherently wrong. I don't think we should try to impose our own beliefs on this subject upon one another.

tumblr_m3vk513Y7d1r3zat8.gif

I think I would be able to live for long periods without meat, it would be just a matter of getting used to it and gathering a new collection of meatless meals so that I have a variety of options.

Though I probably need meat every now and then, spec. for the iron (a lot of it is in beef I believe).

The problem with being vegetarian (as in totes no fish/chicken/pork/beef) is that there are nutrients that are present in meat but isn't with veggies. I still think that having a balanced diet is very important.

P.S. For some reason, I love having veggie salad for snacks. =D

You know, I read somewhere that trees and plants can have IQ too. So I think people who argue that eating animals are cruel because animals have feelings should not eat at all because plants too have "brains". So yeah, suck up that "poor animals" thought and eat because being vegan/vegetarian is logically just as bad.

@Cakey: Ha ha, how do you know that? Just because a physical brain does not exist doesn't mean a plant's equivalent of brain doesn't exist :P Judging by your flawed posts in the weird facts thread, I find it very hard to believe anything you say.

Well, plants still have "intelligence". Some people play music to their darned plants because it DOES make the plant grow better. By logic, music doesn't do anything to the plants. How does it encourage the plant to grow better?

And the vegetarian idea is that "animals have life too" or some stuff? Guess what? So does plants.

What, eating plants is okay because they have no face, no expression, and no personality? Shame on you, that's discrimination.

I'm not snide if they became vegetarian/vegan for health reasons or religious reasons, but those who tout animal rights as their reason... Uh, well...

Or dirt :roll:

In a number of the animal rights thing, the people tout "animals have life too" as their reason, which is rather weird. Plants are considered "living things" too! I mean, that's only logical.

When they add other things into the picture, like animals having emotions and stuff while plants don't, then we'll talk. I'm no plant expert, but I looked into the claim that plants do have IQ and so far it seems to be true.

I am vegan and in my opinion it is cruel to eat animals. Animals have a nervous system. Animals have feelings. Animals care for their young, feel pain, feel loss, and can think. Plants no not have a nervous system so do not feel pain. Plants grow from seeds in the ground. Some are roots some heal themselves but none have a nervous system so none feel pain. Plants do not have a brain so cannot think. Plants cannot have feelings. It just seems that those that think a plant can feel what an animal feels is absurd. Human beings are animals right along with dogs, cats, cows, sheep, goats, and elephants. Humans do not NEED to eat animals to live a healthy life. The food industry pumps the animals raised for food with so many hormones, chemicals, and antibiotics that it is really unsafe. Do yourselves a favor and watch EARTHLINGS on Utube. Watch Vegucated, Food Inc. or just watch a few videos on PETA's website. Once you see what the animals go through, you may change your tune.

Any animal, fish, lobster, crab, bird, ANYTHING that has a nervous system, a heartbeat and blood running in its vein, feels pain so no there are no animals that do not feel pain. Take a fish out of water and it struggles for breath.

Also, for all the cheese and dairy eating people, the dairy industry is just as cruel as the meat industry. When a calf is born they take it away from its mother immediately. If it is a male, they sometimes drag it away from its mother and let it die and sometimes chain it to a box and sell it for veal. The female calf had it at little better but is still separated from her mother.

Watch Earthlings or Meat your Meat on UTUBE and get educated on the Human Animal. After reading this thread I was sickened with all the talk of killing. I just cannot fathom why you think cruelty is okay. Why do people enjoy torturing any living being? Did you know in Korea the beat dogs with clubs to kill them because it makes the meat more tender. I saw a video where in Thailand they keep dogs cramped in a tiny cage several at a time while they (the dogs) watch one of their kind being slaughtered. Human beings are the cruelest species on this earth period. The attitudes on animals in this thread make me glad I do not know any one of you because this discussion made me ill. I am vegan and I am not stupid and I resent remarks like that.

cheryl wrote:

Humans do not NEED to eat animals to live a healthy life.

I disagree. According to Castro (2012), humans should consume meat and vegetables. She also adds that it is also necessary to eat meat - pork, fish, chicken, beef. Consumption only of vegetables is insufficient as there are some nutrients that vegetables cannot provide (e.g. Fe). On the other hand, it is bad as well to just eat meat all the time - a complete opposite of a vegetarian. Everything should always be in moderation, which is for her, the primary principle of a balanced diet.

On another note, philosophically speaking, animals are sentient animals. Some species probably have a nervous system while some do not. What differs animals from humans is that we have the capacity to think; we have this rational faculty that allows us to make decisions. Since all men have this rational faculty, we have the decision whether to abuse/hoard/take for ourselves the food resources we have or not. Also, since we are the only rational creatures or elements around, we have this innate responsibility to take care of the resources. If you deem it necessary to not eat anything that moves, then that is your choice. By doing so, though, make sure that you are prepared to face responses - whether positive or negative.

Source:

Castro, J. (2012). A lecture on "Man: The Need to Sustain Survival" during a Biological Science lecture.

Note: Though if you really think being a vegan is enough for you, then that is okay. It's not a crime to be vegan.

Like I said, if your logic is "waah, it's cruel to kill living things", then go eat rocks and dirt. Plants are living things too. If you uproot a plant, they wilt and die. If you don't water plants, they dry up and die. If you want to say it's cruel to kill animals, then I tell you that you are still being cruel for killing plants.

Just because plants don't have brain and can't feel pain you're going to discriminate against their rights to live? Shame on you!

And nope, I'm not changing my tune. I've seen chicken be slaughtered, gutted, and cut in the market right in front of my eyes. I saw fresh fish being cut up and prepped for eating. I prepped live crabs for eating by killing them and I still eat meat.

God gave animals and plants to be ruled over by humans. God gave the animals to humans to be eaten. And this same God does not like killing. So no, killing animals for food is not the same as killing human beings.

Yes, if you want to tout your irrational belief as a reason to convince people that eating meat is cruel, then I can use my own "irrational" belief in God to support my reasoning.

Seriously, if you want to become vegan/vegetarian it's fine, but if you're comparing those who aren't vegetarian or vegan to murderers? No way I'm going to just sit here and listen to your very patronizing lecture.

Just because animals have nervous system doesn't mean they'll always be crying in silent agony whenever you cook and eat them. The main purpose of the nervous system to transmit signals and trigger response actions. They basically run on instincts and does not necessarily perceive pain. Animals with simple nervous systems, like lobsters, snails and worms, do not have the ability to process emotional information and therefore do not experience suffering. Besides, most meat industries does actually try to kill animals as painlessly as possible. Not only because it's more ethic, but also to prevent the animals from getting stressed out from the pain, and downgrading the quality of the meat they provide.

Anyway, going by the logic that all animals feel pain, and taking their life is torture or murder, you should not be taking medications when you get infected by intestinal worm or have your brains infested by maggots. Because you might be killing them if you try to heal yourself, you murderer.

Note: Like the two posters above me, I have nothing against vegans and vegetarians (especially to those who adopts such lifestyle due to allergies and other health reasons). I just dislike the shallow ideology that being a vegetarian/vegan (thus not "murdering" some "poor animals" for food) somehow makes a person more "moral" than those who eats meat.

Eating meat is NOT EQUAL to supporting animal cruelty/abuse. Those two are separate issues.

Now I'm wondering. Has there ever been solid evidence that plants do NOT actually have their own version of "pain"?

I mean, pain in animals and humans are basically reaction to certain triggers (insert complicated theory of how the nervous system works here). Plants react to triggers in their own way too.

Lack of brain doesn't mean lack of intelligence. Since it's proven that plants can have IQ too, where's the proof that what plants have aren't simply a kind of intelligence that is different from that in animals and human? Who knows if plants turn out to have feelings and emotions too, as music apparently can stimulate plants to grow in a certain way.

Playing loud music near plants cause them to have growth problems and die. Playing calm music makes the plants grow better, just like how animals who were made to listen to calm music produce better meat/eggs/milk.

Plants have no ears, plants supposedly have no emotion, so why does the music affect the plants?

@Stardale--Animal protein is not needed for human daily requirement. Plant protein is sufficient. It has been studied and proven that animals do think and process information. Just because humans have superior rationale does not mean we have the right to abuse,hoard, or take anything. Also, I chose to read your response and I will choose to end my conversation with each of you because of the type of people you are; close minded and ignorant of what other species of animals go through due to the human animal.

@theAdept_Rogue--Eating animals is contributing to cruelty and abuse. You can preach all you want but until you see what I have seen you cannot pretend to know what you are talking about. Until you have been to a meat processing plant and have seen the torture and the pain in the eyes of the victims, you can't speak on it. It shows your ignorance. If you think animals are treated fairly in this world, you refuse to see the total picture. Watch the videos I spoke of. Do the research but your post was absolutely why people like you disgust me.

@D_A-- Whomever is paying for you to go to college is wasting their money. Your post is absolutely ridiculous and absolutely incorrect. In your previous posts about you loving to see blood, heads, guts, and other visceral elements of animal killing made me sick to my stomach. I would not want to know either one of you and hope as you grow older you may gain some wisdom and morals. People like you that do not care for all living beings and refuse to look at what really goes on in the world like the torture, abuse, neglect, and murder are not people I associate with. Your closed minds prove why the world is the way it is.

Edited to remove personal attacks.

~Mopiece

@Cheryl

a few videos on PETA's website.

No offense, but PETA is the worst place to get any information concerning animals. They are extremely biased, and will immediately distort anything for their favor.

Also, if you're so against animal cruelty. Then you should stop supporting PETA. PETA uses the majority of their money on advertisement. And because of that, a lot of animals actually die.

And no, you do need animal protein to survive. If you don't eat meat, then you need to take supplements. You can not survive on just plants. That is not possible. The human body is not built that way.

Lastly, read the rules. It is not okay to be attacking any of the above member because they eat meat and you think it is wrong. If you want to discuss this issue with them, then you need to do so without personally attacking the people. If you can't do this, then maybe you need to step out of the thread.

Even though I know I probably don't have to say this, but please Stardale, Adept_Rogue, and d_a do not respond to the personal attacks.