Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Axel Moonsong

Anything, Vegetarian , Vegan?

So, regarding our diet, which actually startled me and made me think today, when I had to prepare the lunch, and stumbled across a cut chicken head... *shrug* what would you rather be?

I, almost turned vegetarian, and probably like this will end, because I started to be unable to see, smell, touch, or eat animal meat of any kind. I still like cheese, and eggs, and all those, which classifies me as a vegetarian not vegan.

So, would you rather eat anything, and have to cook meat, cut it, chop it, see blood, etc. or be vegetarian and deal just with vegetables and animal products which don't include meat, or vegan, which eat only stuff which are not provided by animals. ( Honey is also included in the list of not eaten products. )

I have no problem with either of the choices. I could very well be a vegetarian and I think that would be much healthier on one side. But the humans aren't omnivorous for no reason. If we were made omnivorous, it means we need to eat what we were meant to eat; same reason why tigers are carnivorous and goats are herbivorous. They eat what they were designed to eat. We also need protein from the meat. I'd say that meat every once in a while is good enough Maybe once or twice a week?

As for the second issue. Blood and stuff. That really doesn't bother me when I know the animal is not in pain anymore. Of course, I will never kill an animal, but cut and cook an animal that's already dead doesn't seem such a big deal to me. It's already dead and there's nothing much to do left.

I remember seeing some shameless manipulation video or something a while ago. A disturbing video that would turn people vegan/vegetarian? Not cool. If anyone wants to see that again, just search "meet your meat" on youtube, because I am not bringing that back here myself.

I don't think that video would be needed, regarding myself. For me is enough to imagine that I could be in place of the chicken, and it's enough to make me lose my appetite.

Once or twice a week, meat, that's how I have to eat now, and it's driving me insane, just to feel the taste of meat.

I don't know, I probably ate too much meat and I am simply slowly becoming bored of the taste, while vegetables still raise me an appetite.

I honestly would rather be happy to see a plate of Mac & Cheese without bacon or whatever, than eating some fries with chicken, but that's just me.

And the reason why I don't like cutting meat and stuff, it's because it feels cold, and dead, and it raises some sort of reaction from me. It feels very strange, and I always hated to see or touch raw meat...

I have no quandries about eating meat. I respect those who for personal or religious reasons choose not to but I concur with Ruffi that we are, by design, omnivorous and I enjoy it.

btw...if you read this MeeCakeyMakey, I enjoy cake too!!

I've been a vegetarian my entire life. When I was born my parents were starting to try a vegetarian diet and took me along with it. I've tried meat a couple of times, but I don't remember really liking it - for all practical purposes I've never had meat.

And it's not just because of my parents' diet - as I grew up I identified myself as an animal lover (still am) and didn't feel right eating them. When you've almost never had meat, you don't miss it.

As far as veganism goes, though, I've tried to become one a couple of times, but I found that I love my dairy products too much.

@Kenneth: I think I understand. You ate for a period too long too much meat, probably, and now you are craving vegetables, because only the proteins and fat (and whatever else meat contains that I don't know) are excessive. And you need to balance your need of vitamins.

After the Winter Holidays, I swear to God that all people are crowding the market and buy fruit and vegetables like their life depended on it. People just get sick of all the fatty foods and crave fresh, light food.

@Esme Veganism is rather stupid, if you ask me. Vegans think that eating eggs, or drinking milk, or consuming dairy products encourage people to kill animals... And you are a lucky person to have parents like that. If you ask me, it is much more healthier.

@Ruffi Very true, but not just that. I eat heavy foods almost daily, and honestly, there's a reason why I spice my food up a lot, because it helps burn calories, otherwise I would be obese rather than underweight.

It feels unpleasant eating meat often, and also, you never know to what you put yourself to risk, and what sort of stuff might the meat contain.

After all, it was still an animal, which could have had parasites, or an infection.

I understand that meat cooked looses all it's toxic properties and all parasites die, but just thinking that in my food, before cooking it were some sort of small animals, and I am getting to eat them dead, as they are, make my face turn green in disgust.

And while at it, I hate any type of junk food, restaurant food, canned food, whatever-is-brought-by-money-and-not-cooked-by-you-food, etc. I have no trust in mass produced food, because you didn't cooked, you have no f idea what the heck is in it, and even more, you might wake up with unpleasant surprises.

And regarding what I said above, I give you this, which pretty much sums up my opinion:

LANGUAGE WARNING

I like meat too much to give it up. And most of the veggiemeat I did try were poor substitutes for meat.

As for seeing meat stuff being chopped up and what not: Most of the places here already have the raw meat chopped up and all so that is not a problem. Killing something and chopping it myself would be a problem as I do not know how to do that.

@ Kenneth, you might want to think twice before calling veganism "stupid." I've had a few vegan friends and they are wonderful people. And like I said, I tried more than once to become a vegan and found myself unable to do so, but that doesn't mean I consider it stupid. Besides, there might be a few vegans here, I don't know, but when you call someone's eating beliefs "stupid," you might be getting yourself in hot water.

As with KTC, I love meat too much to give it up. Besides, what gives meat its taste and texture are the protein it contains, the fermentable carbohydrates, and the natural reactions that comes with it. Those are not some things you can just clone in veggie-meat. Perhaps one day, food science/technology might discover a way to incorporate real meat flavor and texture into veggiemeat to make them a better meat substitute.

I do know that the cheap, crab-sticks people used to eat aren't real meat though, and are mostly composed by cultured bacterias and proteins; but since I don't like crabs, real or otherwise, I don't know how good of a substitute that is to real crab meat.

@Kenneth: Actually, you don't know what they put in vegetables either. I mean, come on. There are banana harvesters in my country. And I live in Eastern Europe. Just what the heck? I am positive it's the ever changing climate that made this possible, but please. Bananas are meant for tropical climate, not temperate-continental. So be sure they put stuff in them to grow here.

As well as perfectly identical import apples I see at the stores. And many other fruit and veggies who are so big and pretty but taste like sand when you take a bite.

Also, oranges are meant to be green, not orange. I read in a book that where they come from (Greece, South America etc...) their peel is green like limes' and the interior is orange. But because they look raw like that, they mixed them with some other citrus fruit and put some colourant and there you go.

I am pro-making food yourself at home too, but there's really to little you can do when you live in the city and all you have available are GM foods and resources.

@Esme I was talking about the fanatic ones, which are really obsessed by their way of eating up to a certain extent when they actually manipulate you to do so too. Not all of them are like that, that is very true.

@Ruffi Fortunately, I don't live that nightmare. I live close near a bazar where people from my country come and sell their products. I know which ones are actually grew organically and which aren't. And actually, they really are, because they have the exact same taste as the ones grown by my grandparents, and look like them. I have a formed eye for them, and believe me, we aren't eating carton plants. XD That's what I like about my diet. XD

@Esme I was talking about the fanatic ones, which are really obsessed by their way of eating up to a certain extent when they actually manipulate you to do so too. Not all of them are like that, that is very true.

@Ruffi Fortunately, I don't live that nightmare. I live close near a bazar where people from my country come and sell their products. I know which ones are actually grew organically and which aren't. And actually, they really are, because they have the exact same taste as the ones grown by my grandparents, and look like them. I have a formed eye for them, and believe me, we aren't eating carton plants. XD That's what I like about my diet. XD

Yeah, I still eat meat. Not that much, because it's not that cheap and because we also will have problems when we eat three steaks a day, if just cause we'll run out of supply.

I saw the discussion in passing and I was kinda eh about the whole thing... until I saw that what sparked it was Skyler's disgust over some chicken head.

Really? Is it that bad? It's just a chicken. We get whole chickens cooked back home all the time. Chicken heads are no biggie. And chicken brain is one of the best parts on a chicken, right next to the drumstick and the heart.

Unless you meant a chopped-off chicken head still with its feathers and comb and whatnot. Then it's kinda gross because it's got this voodoo-y feel, but I'm personally just fine with it. Maybe I'm just not easily squicked. I watched a chicken being slaughtered when I was like eight or nine and I was all meh. When I was about ten I saw my dead rabbit being gutted by the maids and the rabbit has its intestines spilling all over the bucket it was being gutted in. My first reaction was to poke at the rabbit's guts because it looks squishy *shrug*

@d_a: Well, some people are more "sensitive" to this stuff, honestly. I have classmates who claimed to have their stomach twist in biology class when the teacher came to show us sheep eyes cut in half, sectioned spinal marrow and other animal organs that were brought by other classmates for us to study them.

It was kind of funny to see my six feet tall classmates shuffle to the end of the class and watch disgusted in another direction. But hey, some people are more tolerant to stuff than others. I, for instance have nothing against picking cockroaches and earthworms up in my hands, be them dead or alive. But my other girl classmates start doing all the squeaky squealing and stuff and act like a bunch of sissies. :/ Now I don't know if they're acting according to the stereotype of girls being supposed to be scared of gross things and insects or just are genuinely afraid of it, what it's for sure it's that it annoys me, but I try to accept that other people might find gross what I don't find.

Or get nauseous when seeing blood and organs and stuff. It's just how some people are built, no matter how tall and tough they look and no matter if they are dudes or chicas and no one is to blame for it.

I myself have no problem with the stuff you mentioned, the only thing I would be sad of would be the death of my pet and it not getting to stay in one piece (is very ceremonious when it comes to pets' funerals, I know stupid, but it makes me happy), but if it was any other animal, hey. I see cats, dogs and rabbits and ferrets and whatnot every time on the side of the road, with their insides all over the place. They go out to cross the road at night and get hit by cars. It's a pity, but I won't go cry for every and each of them.

If we're still here, I once saw an accident on the side of the road with someone suffering the same fate as said furries. But this time it was a someone. I only remember seeing a body laying face-up and missing an arm and twenty meters away there was a severed leg. That didn't disturb me, but I felt sad for that person, mainly because it was a senior.

I guess I wasn't being clear. I mentioned that blood and guts thing to show just how unsquicked I am about things.

See, in the OP Skyler just said "chicken head" without specifying what it is. Ivana brought up chicken head in cooking, so the original statement confused me. Is he talking about a COOKED chicken head, raw-but-prepared (plucked off its feathers and comb), or brutally-chopped-off-like-in-horror-movies? I'm not going to assume because he's flailing it's oh-so-obviously a raw chicken head. Who knows?

Really, if all this flailing is caused by a cooked chicken head... It's really quite a hyperbolic reaction.

I've been kind of vegetarian for a while. I'm not sure whet the right word for this is... Well I don't eat meat (eg. pork chicken beef etc.) but I eat fish. I will NEVER be vegan because I just would die without dairy products and I would have to eat dairy free egg free cake!

Eeeeewwwwww.

I personally think that bloody chicken heads and that sort of stuff is gross.

In the age of cavemen, you didn't have an option. You HAD to eat meat to survive. But nowadays, people get freaked out over chicken heads and that sort of stuff. Well I do too but you get what I'm saying...

With those choices I may end up just sticking to shellfish! I don't have qualms about dumping a lobster into boiling salt water (probably the no seeing its guts kinda thing) but I'm not so sure I could look a pig in the eye and then shoot it. At least not unless my bacon craving gets out of control...mmmm bacon.

@MeeCakeyMakey: The word for that is pescetarian, and I share the same diet. It's more for health reasons than anything else, but I also think the meat industry is entirely sad and completely inhumane, so I guess I have some moral issues as well. I like certain meat dishes, and I'm a little unhappy when menus at restaurants have dishes that I know I would like but which have meat in them, but I'm still happy with my choice.

Oh yes! I knew the word was something like that!

I'm pescetarian not because of some diet, but I just think meat tastes yucky. And I think it's gross to know that when you eat meat, it was once a (usually) intelligent animal.

Nearly all sorts of fish are not intelligent at all as they were some of the first living things on earth (with the exception of squid, octopi, dolphins, etc.) Dolphins aren't really fish but mammals, and I never have, or intend to eat a dolphin.

@Mee: When I said "diet" I meant "what I/you eat," not the more common definition as something special to lose weight. For instance, a carnivore has a diet of meat, or a giraffe a diet of leaves. Sorry if that was unclear. :)

What all people should check out is the Ayurveda nutrition plan. It's really neat and it works for me. It's based on what aliments your body needs most related to how your body looks/manifests. For instance, I am the Pitta type, the one that intakes a lot of water and who's almost never dehydrated. In my case, I am mostly not allowed to eat all the things I like XD, but seriously, since I go after this plan, I've seen some nice improvements.

(no shameless advertising intended :[ )