Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
theAdept_Rogue

Phobias

"Scientists believe that everyone in this world has phobias. However big or small that the fears might be, they are nonetheless a fear and classified as a phobia. Some phobias are apparent and dangerous while others are sedate and may not harm the person. Scientists say the reason behind phobias is not just the personal experiences that we experience in our lives. It is also genetic in nature, as has been recently discovered."

So, I was reading this article regarding phobias (because theAdept_Rogue enjoys reading about mental disorders for some unidentified reasons), and apparently everyone had a phobia. So, have you discovered what yours is?

I know what's mine; but since it's uncommon enough to not exist in Wikipedia's official "List of Phobias" (despite the more outrageous fears being listed down there. It exists in the Wikitionary though), I didn't even realize it was a phobia. I thought it was just a natural response to an event, but over time I came to realize it's a phobia.

By the way, if you're wondering about what's this "uncommon phobia" of mine is, it's Oneirophobia, the fear of dreams.

Well, of course, everyone dream every night; though, most of the time, it's so complex we don't even remember we had them. I'm not talking about those dreams. I'm talking about the dreams we do remember, the ones that occur during REM cycle. I hate them, really; I hate them so much that I won't go back to sleep after waking up from a dream in case they come back (despite the physical exhaustion and splitting headache that it comes with, which is yet another reason I hate to dream. I can't get a proper sleep and starts off the day dead tired and cranky). In fact, if I know a way to control my sleep, I wish I would never enter the REM cycle so that the dreams I have would be lost, and forgotten before I even wake up.

It seems irrational, I know; I mean, what harm can a dream possibly do to you? But when almost all the dreams you remember involves murderous lunatics, vengeful ghosts, man-eating beasts, and all kinds of abominations, it's kinda reasonable, I think.

So, back to the original question, what is your phobia (if you've discovered them)?

My list of phobias based on what's said in that site:

1) Oneirophobia Fear of Dreams or Clinophobia Fear of Going to Bed?

Like theAdept_Rogue, I hate the dreams that we remember. The worst part is... I remember every dream - I don't know why. A lot of my dreams involve fictional characters, people I know, or myself to almost die before I wake up. Sometimes I don't want to sleep at all, but I have to. And so... Insomnia!

2) Claustrophobia Fear of Confined Spaces or Ochlophobia Fear of (large) crowds of people?

Not much to say except the fact that I tend to tense up whenever I go to the train station, which is cramp in the times I go in.

3) Thantophobia Fear of Death or Drying

Yep. Common fear.

I looked through the site and found Phobophobia Fear of phobias. I don't know how one would have a fear of phobias; Is it having a phobia or being aware of phobia...?

-------------------

@EsmeAmelia:

I tried to search for the name, but it kept on giving me ones against countries, not opinions.

@Esme: I think that is kinda a normal behaviour and not a particular phobia. I mean, phobias are irrational, near-hyperbolic fear. But hey.

Allodoxaphobia: Fear of opinions.

Doxophobia: Fear of expressing opinions or of receiving praise.

@Rogue: Your dreams are scary :o

----------------------------------

I may or may not have kainotophobia , the fear of change, and kakorrhaphiophobia , the fear of failure.

I get depressed and afraid whenever there's a change coming. Moving out of my house, transferring schools, etc. Maybe that's just common anxiety, but what do I know?

The fear of failure one is even more doubtful IMO, but who knows?

Arachnophobia: Although I doubt that it really counts, I still tense up when I see a spider or, generally, arachnids. I just don't like seeing them - something about the hairy bodies and the morbid scuttling just rubs me the wrong way. I automatically jerk away in disgust.

Thalassophobia: I'm afraid of being in the ocean, or the sea. I'm fine when staying close to the coast, but I can't handle going too far ahead. I'm fine in pools or lakes, but I just can't go out in the ocean.

Nyctophobia: One of the many names of the fear of the dark. It's not so much as I actually fear the dark, more than I'm afraid what's in it. I'm not even sure if it counts, either - I'm only scared when it's half light (as in just enough to distort everything I see). I start hallucinating eyes watching me or ominous noises or figures in the dark.

@MaskedHood: An article I read mentions that those vivid, memorable dreams (the ones we both hate) comes from REM sleep, which thankfully don't happen that often with me.

Which reminds me, I used to have a fear of thunder when I was younger because some lying adult told this superstition that thunder/lightnings are harbringer of doom, or something like that. Got over it once discovered it was a lie, though.

@MaskedHood: An article I read mentions that those vivid, memorable dreams (the ones we both hate) comes from REM sleep, which thankfully don't happen that often with me.

Which reminds me, I used to have a fear of thunder when I was younger because some lying adult told this superstition that thunder/lightnings are harbringer of doom, or something like that. Got over it once discovered it was a lie, though.

Wow those are some pretty weird phobias, o.O No offense, but just as it's in its definition, I find some of them kind of irrational. Like arachnophobia or oneirophobia. I love arachnids esp. scorpions so no offense to anyone X3 And I pretty much can control if I remember a dream or not so huh. o.O Go ahead and don't believe me, but my brain is weird and I am telling the truth.

As for my fears? I can't say I have a phobia, but there are times I get irrationally dysfunctional. Like, I get so scared I cannot concentrate over something and cannot think of anything else and start shaking, panting etc etc. But I am able to get out of it myself, because nobody else can and I am sure most here will agree.

I think I may have Glossophobia, Nychthophobia and Olcophobia. But I actually found a way of working them out, so I am not sure they can be called phobias anymore?

Glossophobia (speaking in public) I am a very shy person, but whenever I have to present something in front of an audience, I look as many of the people I can in the eyes. It makes me feel like I intimidate them and being above the crowd gives me confidence and I am able to carry on.

Nychthophobia (fear of dark) Believe it or not, I had a solution for this since I was a peppy 12-year old crazed about wolves, as older members can confirm XD. Whenever I had to go in a dark room and I was scared, I thought "wolves are brave and your fear is stupid". This phrase is so damn stupid, but I swear to God, it still works even today. I don't know what clicks in my brain, but it gives me so much courage and I am able to fight it and walk around in dark rooms.

Olcophobia (fear of crowds) This developed when I got stuck (yes, stuck) in a crowd a couple of years ago. But I am able to fight it with aggressiveness. Another stupid-sounding thing. But people actually make me way when I look them all in the eye with a glare and walk in a determined pace. No one bumped into me in a long while XD

@ da, I dunno, it might count as a phobia for me. I get really weird about revealing my likes and dislikes to others. Even with friends, sometimes I start thinking, "if you knew this or that about me you wouldn't like me anymore."

Nyctophobia: It's the fear I have, like many others. I am ashamed to admit that I'm afraid of darkness, but is more the fear to be enveloped by it, because you don't know what might be in it. I wouldn't be able to walk at night without at least some well-lit areas.

Oneirophobia: Same as Adept, I have some really weird dreams, and let me tell you that they are nothing which you could cope with. Alongside with Sleep Paralysis, dreaming of being chased by some butchers in an abandoned factory, during night, with an oil lantern only in your hand, because they want to use you for food isn't anyone's piece of cake. And while at this dream, just imagine seeing butchered humans hanging on sticks, like they are being used for feeding and put there to be dried, and seeing flies all around, and actually feeling the smells. And that's just one of the many really screwed up things I see during my sleep. Some people say that dreams reflect upon the upcoming reality...I pray to God that that isn't coming anywhere to reality anytime soon!!!

Basically, they're somehow all the things I hate combined into a horrendous state. If I'd have to face that situation in real-life, I am not sure of what I'd do...

i have

Acrophobia - Fear of heights

and something like

Glossophobia - Fear of speaking in public or of trying to speak. Actually i can pass out if i am watched by a big croud and ppl expect me to say something. lolz Dx (especially when the croud is 90% Kids! :X xD)

I also just noticed that all phobias have greek names =D

I have entomophobia.

I fear insects and various creepy crawlies.

I know I am far larger than they are, but that does nothing to lessen my fear of them, and no, I don't plan on getting over this phobia because I probably will never survive the methods of getting over said phobia.

I am afraid of small places underground. I went spelunking once as a kid and felt like I was suffocating and that the ground was going to crush me. The idea of going far below ground into a mine or a small cave has me taking big gulps of air as if to remind myself that I'm not actually in that situation. Since my fear has nothing to do with enclosed rooms, elevators, or anything above ground I wasn't sure or not if it is claustrophobia. After reading about claustrophobia on wikipedia however I think it is. These two definitions rang out:

Claustrophobia is typically thought to have two key symptoms: fear of restriction and fear of suffocation.

However, claustrophobics are not necessarily afraid of these areas themselves, but, rather, they fear what could happen to them should they become confined to an area. Often, when confined to an area, claustrophobics begin to fear suffocation, believing that there may be a lack of air in the area to which they are confined.

Very interesting and definitely how I feel!

Recently I develop fear with people, usually with jobs like teachers, advisers, receptionist, bosslike. I can speak clearly to somebody one on one and to an audience but not in a closed crowd. I can't look at their faces directly. I wasn't like that before.

I have many fears. Sometimes I even think that I'm a paranoid. Some of my phobias:

1)Lygophobia (fear of being in dark places), Myctophobia Scotophobia (fear of darkness), Nyctophobia (fear of the dark or night): I can add all of these. For me anything that has to do with darkness causes anxiety and fear. I can't even pass through a dark flat in which I live -_-

2) Agliophobia (fear of pain): I've no idea where this phobia appeared from, but as far as I can remember I fear any kind of pain. That kinda makes my life harder.

3)Altophobia (fear of heights): I think I got it when I first flew with plane. The pilot landing was awful and since then I can't stand being high.

4)Arachnophobia (fear of spiders): Ugly, hairy, many legged creatures, what else to say about them. There's nothing that would change my opinion about them. I feel terrified seeing them.

I seem to have many phobias

1) Alto-phobia- I can't even look down from the third floor without feeling like I'm going to faint

2) Glossophobia- I can't talk to a large bunch of people without feeling scared.

3) Claustrophobia- I am scared of enclosed places.

Well I am not sure if they really are phobias, but i am scared of the and they are irrational, so I guess they do, even if i can cope with them pretty well. So here I go:

Ballophobia: Fear of balloons, yes I know, silliest thing ever. If I touch them or they come close, I fear they might pop and hurt me. I guess it´s a childhood trauma thing. This phobia also extends to rubber bands, tires and other elastic stuff that is being pulled on so it might snap. I also hate the fact that they may cause static electricity, which I will come to later

Fear of electric shocks: I am very prone of getting shocks from static electricity, so I am veru conscious of not touching stuff that may cause them, this also leads to fear from:

- Doorhandles, refridgerators, metal stairs, electric doors, metal chairs, sometimes even touchscreens

- Basically every metal object

- Touching people (in winter)

Fear of hurting my head: as soon as I see anything flying around like a ball or anything, I duck as if the third world war just began….

Fear of noisy machines: especially if they look really old and they shake and look like they could explode any moment

Fear of the outside world: it doesn’t happen often, actually only when I am under a lot of stress and a lack of sleep, but sometimes I am just afraid of almost everything. Yes, sometimes I do cross the street so I don’t have to walk past a trashcan.

If I list them it sounds like I should get some help, so I think I am just ending the list there XD