Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
theAdept_Rogue

Phobias

I've heard about this one. I'm not so afraid of death either. I've had serveral near-death experience so... I think I got used to it. Of course I don't wanna die and I would do whatever I can not to... but it doesn't freak me out.

I have Arachnophobia...to a very great extent..whenever I see a spider,my color drains from my face,and I start to tremble violently,and I kind of lose the ability to speak,shout,scream,or even move (almost like motion freeze)....I just keep staring at it,unable to tear off my gaze from it,with an expression of utmost horror (as my sister has described)...I remember,I even fainted once in front of my classmates,when I saw a full-grown spider dangling from one of the branches of a tree in our school gardens....my family's really concerned about me regarding this abnormality...or is it an abnormality? I find many people here are also scared of spiders.....so can anyone here offer any help or advice?...cuz this is really bothering me....I don't calm down unless the spider is killed,and this makes me feel very guilty too,because I really don't want to hurt a living being...I try very much to control my fear,but it just doesn't work...

It's okay Cassy. My sister is exactly the same. But sometimes she screams. And I'm a bit concerned for her sometimes because she often does that after the spider is gone.

I don't usually kill them. Usually I get them on a piece of paper or something (a very long piece of paper, that is) and get it outside as far from me as possible. And, believe it or not, I feel very relieved and happy. This is how I got over my fear of spiders. Of course, I still don't feel very comfortable arroud them but at least I can calm down.

So this is my advice for you. Calm down and try to help the spider to get out, or ask someone else to do it.

Thank you so much,Emma...I really needed that advice,and I'll be sure to follow it from now on...so that it helps me feel less guilty and scared...*sigh* :)

lots of love, dear friend.. :awww:

oh...why though?..do dogs bark or growl at you,whenever they are in your vicinity?...'cause that always scares my friend away...or maybe there isn't any definite reason for the fear?..like it just crops up whenever you see a dog?...kind of like my fear of spiders? :roll:

whichever's the case,I'll just tell you one thing,from my experience...fear is one thing,that you can't get over very easily...my advice is to try and act calm around a canine...'cause I often find that they attack people who are tensed or nervous around them...if he tries to sniff you,don't try to stop it..that may irk him more...my mom says that they actually sense the fear in that person,become all the more suspicious,and take undue advantage of that...*spoiled brats!!!!..er...I mean dogs!!! :giggle: *

personally,I'm not scared of dogs...I love them!!!...because they are actually very friendly and loyal to those who love them...they can even sacrifice their lives for their owners,if such situations arise...

so don't fret...the next time you come across a dog,just try to relax,and breathe easy... 8)

I'm a bit scared of dogs myself. Actually, I'm afraid of very big dogs that are agressive (which I think it's a bit healthy). I don't have an irrational fear tough. I tend to be a bit nervous arroud big dogs that show aggressive behavior.

SeerCassandra wrote:

oh...why though?..do dogs bark or growl at you,whenever they are in your vicinity?...'cause that always scares my friend away...or maybe there isn't any definite reason for the fear?..like it just crops up whenever you see a dog?...kind of like my fear of spiders? :roll:\

My neighbour's dog seems to be trained to come near me, bark aggressively and then for some bizarre reason, then proceed to lick me o_O

@Sunny_Angel

awww!!!...that's so cute!!!:D...he probably likes you then :lol: ....I remember my pet dog used to do that whenever I returned from school...sadly,he passed away when I was 13..it's been almost six years... :(

@Emma

don't worry,Emma....that's normal for many people....in fact,when I was about 5,I remember my neighbor used to have this huge St.Bernard,and I used to tremble from head to foot whenever he was around me...he used to bark at me for no apparent reason,and then,all of a sudden,at one time,proceeded to pounce on me and started to lick my face...and although I was scared,I couldn't stop laughing...after that,I became used to his presence and his bizarre antics to gain my attention...

sunny's situation reminded me of that dog....I think his name was Bert,or something... :roll:

I saw a St. Bernard Dog this summer, it's huge. I didn't heard it bark though. We joked that it will probably sound like a bear

I have social phobia, I think. Been having a hard time going out of the house, even just going at nearby stores. I'm getting better though.

I Totally Love St. Bernard dogs... I had one as a child... would Love to have one again... but their size isn't very suitable for my living conditions.

Steven King did a bit of a disservice to the breed with the Kujo movie... they're more likely to knock you down to play with you than to hurt you.

My phobia... Dentists! Yeah, the sound of that drill gives me nightmares!

I love St. Bernard dogs too....well I do,NOW....

but you can surely understand my predicament if you picture myself as a small,skinny five year old trying to break free from a HUGE dog,almost TWICE MY SIZE,who had come galloping towards me,out of the blue,and knocked me straight down to the ground,for no apparent reason.. :S

of course,dogs never need any reason...*sigh*

oh,but my stupid,annoying,11-year old (then) lanky cousin found it verrrryyy funny,and couldn't stop laughing at me....

even to this day,he irks me :x

and I know he is a member here...never got to know his username though...*sigh*

oh,well,sorry to bore you with my meaningless blabbering,people!!!! :oops: :P

P.S. I always tend to wrap up my conversations in a stupid way,well cuz I am,stupid,duh?

@Brycej: so does that mean,you hardly ever go to the dentist? XD......I'll advise you not to do that,ya know...you may end up losing all of your teeth...XD

he he just kidding!!!

But I think that you should discuss your fears with the dentist..Once your dentist knows what your fears are, he or she will be better able to work with you to determine the best ways to make you less anxious and more comfortable :)

@elonah: I totally understand you...I am in fact a very shy and reserved person,but when I'm comfortable with someone,I can't seem to shut up..to say,that I'm terrified of new people,would be an understatement...I always feel very insecure around new people,and blush and stutter when someone comes to talk to me or even looks at me...especially around members of the opposite sex (yeah,ok, I'm stupid)....and that leads me to be somewhat boring and lonely.. :cry:...I'm also very clumsy,maybe that's why I have this insecurity....and I can't seem to open up to anyone,other than my few friends..

can anyone suggest any remedies?...*sigh*

I have discovered I have chronic and severe agoraphobia- fear of being in public spaces and surrounded by people. It's terrible, it's ruining my life and gave me depression.

Sigh.

No time for psychiatrists, no money for psychiatrists. Exam session with an amphitheater full of another 100 students and three professors wandering about. Another 3 exams to go in which I will have to manage my panic attacks.

It's terrible, would not recommend.

THIS is a real irrational fear. It makes me feel handicapped.

I tend to have this problem when teachers come durring an exam and just stare at you. I can't concentrate and feel the urge to shout "dude, what's you problem? Can't you go stare at someone else?"

It's annoying, really.

Anyways, my fear of dentists is beyond aything. Again, like Brycej said, the sound of that drill is driving me crazy. Talking to the dentis doesn't do any good since I'm not afraid of that person, not even by their istruments, but the pain that they cause. I think I would rather be poked with a knife than to fell that pain. No matter what anyone sais, the pain that is caused by nerves is by far the worst thing ever.

I like this topic. I find it very interesting. My phobias are arachnophobia, telephone phobia, and Dendrophobia. My arachnophobia is not limited to spiders, but includes all arachnids and other 8 legged creatures, such as scorpions, ticks, and lobsters. Telephone phobia causes me to experience full blown panic attacks at the thought of having to call someone or talk to someone on the phone (especially if it's someone I don't know personally). Dendrophobia is the fear of trees. It really only affects me at night when you see them in silhouette. They just creep me out at night. During the day, they're fine.

The trees can be a bit creepy at night, especially if you have a rich imagination. I think that something that you could do, in order to overcome this fear is to study them durring the day, you know, memorizing every branch and twig, so, when the night comes and you see them to remember how they used to look like durring the day. Like so, they won't be so scary.

@ms_rayvenn

I totally understand you...I have this abnormal fear of spiders...whenever I see one,I tend to get paralysed...(kinda like motion freeze)...and do you know what the worst part is? as much as I try to get rid of the feeling,it grows stronger...

I am uncomfortable with scorpions and ticks,but they don't scare me as much as spiders do....at least,I have the strength and sense of screaming,and scrambling away,when I see one of those

and about the telephone thing...well,it kinda happens to me too...say,whenever I get a call from an unknown number,or such,I just toss the phone to my sister to answer...I am not really comfortable in talking to people I don't know.....I remember when I was younger,I requested my mom to answer phone calls,which came from my friends,due this fear of mine...I didn't even answer calls which came from my dad or relatives....but gradually with time,it grew off...well,mostly...

Cassy!

R u my soul sis or smethng..... I mean thts exactly my prob....... I get vry uncomfy around new ppl.... I don,t know wht 2 say or 2 talk abt....... bt whn I get comfy I just can't stop blabbering....... I'm also scared of dentist......I totally agree wth Emma. And also the telephone thing........ I can't 2 an unknown num or sme! I don't know....... My mother scolds me often abt this... I'm not much afraid spiders or any insects but I really disgust them( who doesn't).

@ms_rayvenn: I get the fear of spiders, I get that it extends to scorpions and ticks, but lobsters? Is it just live lobsters or does it go as far as lobster soup?

I'm a bit nervous about talking to strangers on the phone, but luckily I don't have a phobia about it, since my job is all about talking to strangers on the phone. My sister hates talking on the phone, but doesn't fear it, she can function. It must be debilitating to fear something that most people do quite often.

@Mae Yes, it can be quite debilitating at times. Especially when you have a young handicapped child who needs lots of doctor appointments. Luckily I've gotten to know the receptionists for all the doctors we use, so it's not as bad. With the lobsters, it's only the live ones. It's the legs that creep me out. I get creeped out by anything with 8 legs.

@ms_rayvenn: I'm sure that if your child needed it (had an emergency), you'd push through any fear. That's how powerful a mother's love is. Not that I have any children of my own, but I see things.

@Mae: Yes, his medical needs have helped me overcome it at times. It has a tendency to crop back up, though. My parents and a lot of other family members just don't seem to understand that it is a genuine phobia. I am grateful that my husband is understanding about it. He doesn't let me get away with letting it rule me, but he also doesn't make me do more than I can :)

:Ambulance: I dont like hights very much(my legs lose their strenght) and i also dont like to draw blood...needles give me goosebumps and i faint a little(like a lot eheheh...but lets just say " a little" so it doesnt sound so bad) ;)

:Ambulance: I dont like hights very much(my legs lose their strenght) and i also dont like to draw blood...needles give me goosebumps and i faint a little(like a lot eheheh...but lets just say " a little" so it doesnt sound so bad) ;)

@FarihaFerdousi

I think we really were sisters in another lifetime!!! :lol:

@Pumpkin

I think nobody likes to draw blood... :P

when I was in grade 11,we had the study of blood included in our Biology practical syllabus (ya know,different types of WBC,RBC,platelets,and whats its....)...and we had a classmate,whose hobby,I think was to practically draw blood...:o ...cuz I remember,she casually went on pricking one by one,all of her fingertips,until she was satisfied with the amount of blood required to conduct the experiment....

trust me,she was MENTAL!!! (I think...???)

seriously...weird people...right? :S