Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
shaz

What do you LOVE in Aveyond and want more of?

This is not about the characters or the story - it's about the extra things added to the game that make it more fun to play, even though it's not necessary.

Here are some things that I personally loved to do in the games, along with some things I know others raved about. What can you add to the list? Feel free to elaborate on why you love it?

And I suppose, if there are things you really didn't like, and you don't want to see again, you can list those here too (but I don't want this to turn into a rant or get too deeply into any one subject)

Dressing Up

For some unspeakable reason, there appears to be a substantial number of players who like to dress their characters up. Dresses for Lydia, dresses for Iya. Personally I have no interest in this (I don't think I ever played with dolls as a kid). How much more fun does a game become to you, if you can choose what you character wears?

Buying Houses

I loved being able to see all my party together in the one room/house and being able to talk to each other. I think relationship-building that's necessary for the story should be done as part of the story, but I like the opportunity to get behind-the-scenes glimpses at interactions between specific characters. It's also nice to have somewhere to call home, so you don't have to use up so many restoratives or use inns.

Fast Travel

One of my favourite additions to all games is fast travel. AV1 had mule express and winged/speed boots (?) AV3 had magic mirror express, the compass and quicksilver. The all-time best imo was AV1's portal stones.

Cooking/Crafting

Like the apothecary and blacksmith in TLO. Though I'd rather not have to guess at ingredients.

Intelligence Agencies

Solve a puzzle and you get a new skill as a reward. This could be something you can use in battle, or something that lets you progress in the game, or even something that gives you access to otherwise inaccessible, but optional areas.

Shovel, Lockpick, Magic Key

Need I say more? All those piles of dirt and locked chests taunting you right through the game until you finally get your hands on one of these ... and then you have to remember where you saw them all!

Guilds

Deciding which one your character will join, and what 'elements' they'll specialize in as a result, and how that affects the rest of the game.

Attraction

Required, or optional tasks you have to do to build attraction between characters, determining whether they end up together or not.

Love Triangles +

Being able to choose your pairings - usually coupled with the above.

Split Party

One character optionally going off on his own for a little detour (Edward joining Rat in Tyobi; Stella doing the test in Mount Orion) or two different parties working towards different goals (Mel's party in the Demon Realm and Stella's party in the Arishta Isles)

I'm sure I'll think of others, but go ahead and add any you can think of, and state why you liked/disliked them (for those you disliked, what could be changed to make them more enjoyable?)

I'm all for Fast Travel too. My all time fave is the portal stone in AV1 too because the walking between towns are annoying darnit! I want to be able to go to any town whenever I want :x

And cooking/crafting is AWESOMESAUCE FOREVER. More cooking than crafting, though. I couldn't care less about the equipment, but I've always loved cooking games... And I agree that I'd rather not have to play guessing game with ingredients.

The attraction thing is tricky, but I'd rather that it actually matters and potentially complicates situations.

Um... I'll add more when I think of more stuff.

Dressing up- I rather this not be implemented. I just wasn't really fond it and don't see the appeal to it.

Attraction - I like this part. But I liked it in Av2 when it wasn't just buying and giving gifts. I liked when there were certain things you could do to get an attraction point.

Houses - I really liked the houses to see other characters personality. I also liked being able to buy the pets in Av1. And in Av2 & 3 in getting the farm animals.

Fast travel - I love. I get tired of the walking speed, so I love it when I get a chance to go faster.

Intelligence Agencies - I actually enjoyed these. I like games that have some mini puzzles in them.

Shovels/lock picks - These I also enjoy. I just like opening chests and digging up stuff.

Dressing up - a LOT of fun. I know it's pointless, but it's fun, especially when there are funny costumes available. Shapeshifting is awesome too. I get a kick out of walking around as a slime in AP or as a giant chicken in AV2.

Houses - One of my FAVORITE AV features, something I wish more RPGs would do. I love changing the party leader and seeing what the other characters say to him/her, then when someone else joins I rush to the house to see how he/she interacts with the group. It helps you get to know your characters as people.

Fast travel - I don't really use the Mule/Magic Mirror Express much, but it's definitely a useful feature. The only game where I really used Mule/Magic Mirror Express was TLO, simply because the maps in that game were so darn convoluted. As DA said, the traveling runes in AV1 were the most useful because you can use them from anywhere. After the final battle with Ahriman I can just use the Aveyond rune to get to the Sun Temple.

Cooking/crafting - Toss-up. I love experimenting with cooking and crafting in the Cute Knight games, but for some reason it didn't much grab me in TLO. Maybe because there were only a few things you could make. I think I'd like it more if there were more items to make (that weren't available anywhere else).

Agencies - LOVE this. I love puzzles and I love having areas you can only access after learning a new skill. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and it's loads of fun.

Shovel/lockpick/etc. - Awesome. I absolutely LOVE finding lots of things in RPGs, plus those locked chests tantalize you and give you a sense of satisfaction when you can FINALLY get to them. I'd also love to be able to search barrels/vats/bones again like in AP. Finding stuff is so much fun.

Guilds - It's cool to decide what guild to join, especially when you get something extra from joining a guild like Talia's weapons and Iya's dresses. Plus it gives you incentive to play the game again.

Attraction/love triangles - I enjoy being able to pick your own bride/groom. I like the idea of hidden attraction spots, but I prefer if they involve something that goes beyond gift-giving. And oh yeah, the Soul Pendant, that was brilliant.

Split Party - I already talked about this, but I enjoy following multiple storylines like in TDP. It gives the sense of a real party, not just one character and a bunch of people following her.

Some other things I can think of:

Goodie caves, especially the level cave. I don't really use them (execpt the level cave in AV2 - levelling up gets tedious in that game), but they're fun to find.

The atmospheric locations. That's one of the things that got me into the games in the first place. There's real variety in Aia - everything from elf villages to vampire towns to desert cities.

I like how in AV3, ALL your characters, including those in the reserve party, gain experience from the battles. It means you're not unprepared when someone unexpectedly leaves the party.

Conversations between the characters throughout the game, not just in the house. Like how Te'ijal and Galahad's banter is scattered throughout the games - stuff like that is hilarious and helps you get to know the characters.

Dressing Up

I do not mind whether I can dress up a character or not, but it is a cute little feature. Many people enjoy personalizing their main characters, so the option to change clothes is probably a keeper. A nice thing would be if the clothes added a little bonus in battles (such as renewing HP or MP, heighten the chances of a critical hit, etc)

Buying Houses

Hands down a feature that I love. I am an avid Sims player and I enjoy expanding and collecting things for my house as well as having characters interact. Having pets is also a nice bonus (and it would be even more interesting if we could take said pets to battle, have them interact with each other, or maybe even control them while in the house). An interesting thing to see would be a haunted house. Maybe add the house a sidequest? A nice big manor that no one would have because of the current supernatural inhabitants and that you can wrest from the more sinister evil that lies within? And even with the main evil defeated, it would be nice to still have some things about the house that you get to discover like hidden passages you use to spy on the interaction of other party members, a hidden basement maybe that holds a very extra party member that may join your group (vampire, petrified fairy, ancient griffin-dragon, whatever), there's many possibilities.

Fast Travel

I think many would agree with me in that this is something that should be implemented in all Aveyond games--for obvious reasons.

Cooking/Crafting

I don't mind having to craft items. Perhaps the rarest and strongest of weapons should be the ones crafted rather than bought? That's all really the suggestion I can think of for this since I'm not big on cooking/crafting.

Intelligence Agencies

I neither like nor dislike this feature. Puzzles are entertaining sometimes though.

Cute. I'd of course only want them if the items the dirt mounds/chests/closed doors have something worthy of interest (potions and healing items don't exactly do it for me--maybe rare crafting ingredients, powerful weapons, or pets, but if it is merely generic items that can be bought in stores, then no thanks).

Guilds

Sure, why not. I like to personalize my character as much as possible, and getting to join guilds do satisfy that particular desire. Though perhaps joining a guild not only decides what skills you may have but also your appearance? Just a thought.

Attraction

YES. I am what you would call a sucker for these things. I have no shame in admitting I like my main character to have multiple love interests. I'm an avid otome gamer so it's even better when the main character is female and her love interests are also in the party (or even the villain). I have to say though that having attraction points available for Spook was...a rather troll move.

I had my hopes up sky high for a Gyendal/Spook-Mel pairing, but it was crushed.

Shattered into infinitesimal pieces like an infant crab happily skittering about in a tiny goldfish bowl in the middle of a desert until Mars is suddenly pulled away from its orbit and crashes its mighty celestial bulk onto the helpless crustacean.

Love Triangles +

See above.

Split Party

Indifferent. Many RPG games implement this, but it sometimes get annoying shifting scenery because I sometimes forget something for the other party while playing the other.

Dressing Up

Not too interested. I get equipment that makes my characters more powerful so I have little interest in how they look. (Hence why I'm running around Skyrim in a Jester outfit that I dislike for 50% of the game.)

Buying Houses

Sounds good though I probably would not like it if it was mandatory. Farming gold for a house does not sound appealing to me.

Fast Travel

YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES. While I understand going through it at least once to get there, I dislike having to walk slowly to B only to learn that I forgot something at U and have to backtrack >_<

Cooking/Crafting

As long as it wasn't as hellish as the first incarnation of crafting, I'm okay with it. Seriously, that first one was an abomination. Taking from Skyrim: what about a system that lets you eat an ingredient to learn of its side effects and that way you can theorize how it works in a recipe? And eating it will affect you too.

Intelligence Agencies

I like Portal 1/2. I definitely like puzzles in my RPGs.

Definitely! Nothing more annoying than a chest that's just taunting you with your inability to break it! Better yet, what about something that will let you smash the chest open for lesser rewards since you 'damaged' the goods?

Guilds

I'm definitely all for this.

Attraction

Sure, gives a little more realism to it. Though hopefully no red herrings like Gyendal.

Love Triangles +

This would be very interesting though I'm not sure with the execution.

Split Party

That sounds pretty cool and require a bit more brain power to play with characters you might not have before.

hmm very good question =D

Dressing up

I never really wanted to dress up my characters cause i simply couldnt do it. I didnt like dressing the party members that i dont like (i HATED Lydia) But if i was avle to dress up Mel or Rhen it would be awesome. For example there was a part of aveyond 1 with Rhen where she had to wear a ball dress. And the feeling of wearing new clothes to her was awesome =D. And btw i am a guy so i never played with dolls Dx. I just like doing so in Aveyond =D.

I wanna see more of Dressing up, if possible =).

Buying Houses

Ofc Buying houses is one of the best things in Aveyond. I couldnt w8 every time to buy a house and get allmy characters in and speak to them! And ofc... the pets xD i was buying all the pets/animals i could xD.

Fast Travel

Indeed the best thing in fast travel where the runes in Aveyond 1 xD but... what i loved most was to walk very fast with speed crystal/fast sandals/boots. But all the fast travel systems Since Ahrimans Prophecy with the Mule Express were great =D and ofc i wanna see again fast travel and fast boots/sandals or speed crystal =D.

Cooking/Crafting

I never really cared about cooking. Only if i was to cook to gift a girl in my party and gain atraction points i would do it. Or if game wanrted me to / side quest. About Crafting i feel exactly the same way as about cooking Dx lolz.

Intelligence Agencies

OMG LOVED IT! All those skills learnt... Awesome puzzles and great idea.

I would love to see it more with more puzzles and more skills to learn if possible =).

U didnt need to ask xDD. It is just great to have to find a certain key to open chests that wouldnt open. (Or having a thief oppening them, and up to his level, open the hardest ones? xD) And ofc Shovels WERE AWESOME =D i was searching ALL the areas in EVERY PLACE to find even 1 pile of dirt or graves xD.

Guilds

lolz ofc i LOVED the guilds (especially in Ahrimans Prophecy i finished the game and i still have saves of ALL the Guilds =D. In Aveyond i would like to see more of it... Like it was in Ahrimans Prophecy.

Attraction

One of my favorite things to do in Aveyond lol xD I just couldnt stand Edward merrying an ugly creature while Mel was w8ing like stupid! I would love to see more of attraction =D like gaining more attraction points =)

Love Triangles

Ofc i loved this one... Nothing more to say x)

Split Party

Defenetely Loved it. I was spending hours on decideing who is staying in the party. and who not, or who is fighting and who is not xD.

Also

Only thing i can think of right now that u didnt say is about the Donations to the goddess, that raised the luck. I was donating in every single statue of the goddess xD. I would like to see more of it if possible... =)

I think I agree with most of the comments above.

However...

Not sure I like the dressing up part. Not unless it's mandatory as in to complete a quest or side quest(s) or to gain attraction points.

About donations: not sure if it serve any purposes. It says it raises luck; but I don't see any difference. Maybe I was mistaken? lol

Dressing Up

I never liked dressing up dolls as a kid either. There was nothing fun in that. But there is something fun in seeing your characters in different outfits - especially hairstyles, though I suppose the latter may be harder. It gives you a physically different perspective of your character, especially if it's a hairstyle change, and it provides fanart fodder. And you also won't get bored with moving the same character around. I didn't actually like Lydia's outfits though - they're all gowns, and it gets boring fast. Iya's were better - they had variety.

Buying Houses

Definitely. Houses are awesome. I love talking to everyone and see what they have to say! It gets even better if over time in the game, people end up saying different things.

Guilds

The ability to make choices is always a definite yes in my book. It allows for more replay value as well.

Attraction

Yes.

Love Triangles +

Yep - but I like complicated stuff even better. For example, it's not as fun if it's just Girl A and Girl B liking Boy C - and then Boy C choosing between A and B. It gets more fun if it's, let's say, A B C and D, and with choices throughout the game it may end up with an AxB and CxD couple or an AxD and BxC couple.

Split Party

Yes, I find this really interesting as well.

Oh forgot about something else - the bookshelves. Hilarious titles are awesome, though I'd also like more shelves that gave some information about the world like in AP. Also in AV3, when one of the quests required looking at the shelves - that was neat.

Dressing Up: Heck yes! It makes me bored to see the characters in the same clothes all the time. Iya's dresses were amazing (I was so sad that she had to throw the princess dress away :( ). I even dressed up Lydia (still hate her) from time to time. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing boys be able to dress up as well. I thought Ean looked adorable in that servant outfit. :3

Buying Houses: Interacting with other team members s fun~ I really loved Grimm's Farm as you could have all kinds of amazing pets.

Fast Travel: Yes, please. Walking gets tedious over time.

Cooking/Crafting: I'm really not a crafting/cooking person, so it doesn't need to be in it for me.

Puzzles: I like puzzles. I think Aveyond could use some more :D

Guilds: Sure. Getting something special from your guild besides spells, is always nice as well :)

Attraction and Love Triangles: Yes to the first, not too sure about the second, considering all my favourites (besides the AV2 ones) are not canon.

Split Party: This is always fun. :D

EsmeAmelia wrote:

I like how in AV3, ALL your characters, including those in the reserve party, gain experience from the battles. It means you're not unprepared when someone unexpectedly leaves the party.

THIS :D

Even minor swear words aren't allowed.

~Mopiece

Use the visual equip scripts!!! This is more an add-on to the dressing up thing, but yeah. The thing you equip will show up in battles and sprites. I mean, you character wear and switch around armours all the time. That DOES TOO count as "changing clothes". I'd rather see that than have pointless dressing up :S

Re Love triangle: Yeah... Let's not make it one-sided, shall we? I love it if A can love B by gaining attraction points, but B doesn't necessarily love A back. I always thought it's weird in game. You make X love you via "attraction points" earned by doing things that sometimes almost seems like a very banal thing to do (being nice, helping out, etc), and you automatically love X back. I can be very very nice to my male friends and listen to their problems and understand them and still not fall in love with them!

@Slimm:

Attraction and Love Triangles: Yes to the first, not too sure about the second, considering all my favourites (besides the AV2 ones) are not canon.
You having issues with the canon is not the game developers' problem :P

daeva_agas wrote:

@Slimm:

You having issues with the canon is not the game developers' problem :P

So I realize :P I was just stating what I wanted; after all since that is the question ;)

Re: Visual Equipment: Meh, rather not. Armour can be quiet ugly after all. (And the point of dressing up would be to make them beautifulll~) Also, won't that be a lot more work then outfits?

Dressing Up

It was a fun part, because you could choose the characters how to look like. You could make them silly, stylish, look powerful, etc. And it adds a certain feel to the game. It would be amazing if we could see in the future the equipment of the characters on sprites.

Buying Houses

This I found interesting, because the characters not only have their small world to live, but they interact with each other. Also, it would provide a great feature if you could play mini-games in the house to win certain prizes.

Fast Travel

I loved the Quick Silver and the Traveling Runes. They were so darn good. But the Traveling Runes had that small counterpart, that you could be stuck on an island without any means to transport back to the original place. That, if ever happens the Runes to appear again in future releases, to be fixed.

Cooking/Crafting

That would be an amazing idea to be able to craft your ultimate equipments, or potions, rather than having to turn the world upside-down to find them, or pay immense amounts of gold to be able to get them.

Intelligence Agencies

That was interesting, but at times rather annoying, having to backtrack if you stumble across an area where you need that skill, but have to back-track for it. It would be easier if the players are prevented to leave the area, by adding a text like : "I feel we aren't done yet here. "

Shovel, Lock Pick, Magic Key

That was terribly annoying, having to fight hordes of monsters, remember where the chests were, find the item, fight your way back through the dungeon, use on item-requirer,get the item, just to discover it may be useless. Goddarn, that was one thing I couldn't stand. ( *hint* *hint* Aveyond 1 and the Quail Egg in the Pile of Dirt )

Guilds

Yes. Just yes, no need to explain why. In AP, that was just so awesome, especially getting a special equipment item. It was just worth the challenge and the grinding needed for that, to discover the skills and awesome item you get. It was all that great.

Attraction

That was rather.... I am not allowed to say those words here. I couldn't figure what to do, and where, because it would end in a stupid result. I killed Stella three times until I figured out how to save her....It's too much of a mind-bugger...

Love Triangles +

Too much drama....

Split Party

That was amazing, and I wish you would be able to do that in some dungeons too, like the whole party splits in two sides of the Dungeon in order to find *x important item*. That would be great if improved a little. Or simply to be able to split parties at own's wish, to explore separately. So if one party is in a city, for example, and you use one to explore, have the other one search for the required item, and get the needed healing items, to ease the process of the game.

I'd like to add Bonus Dungeons or Side Dungeons to the list, optional places/or areas, for that matter, where the characters could train with higher level monsters, and obtain items which in the storyline you couldn't, and to be unlocked if certain conditions are met.

Edited to remove profanity. Please refresh your memory on the forum rules.

~Mopiece

oh i remembered something =)

In Aveyond 1 there was a house in Veldt where we could pay to get exp. and gain lvl =D. It may come in handy in the future (next aveyond xD)

I like literally every one of those features, especially dress-up. It's genuinely really surprising to me that it's apparently pretty controversial. If you don't like it, don't use it. I don't understand why people complain about extra features. :blink:

Because people like to give feedback. And if a lot of people don't like something in a game, the maker may want to consider taking it out.

Just because it's an extra feature doesn't mean people aren't going to have an opinion about it, or just going to ignore it.

In Aveyond 1 there was a house in Veldt where we could pay to get exp. and gain lvl =D. It may come in handy in the future (next aveyond xD)

Oh yeah, a training dojo to increase EXP! That's epic! I think that was one of Elini's husbands. We also had that training ground where Rhen can pay to learn new skills in Sedona.

Why not have training centres (both to learn new skills and to grind) again next time?

Yep - I want to know what's loved and what's not, and by how many, whether it's an integral part of the game, or an extra (in fact, I'm particularly interested in what people think of the extras)

Ha! i remembered one more thing!

Best things that all Aveyonds had and they were like my favorite characters cause they always played a very main and strong part of the game. Te'ijal and Galahad ofc. I loved them and i would be a little sad if i dont see them at all in aveyond 4.

Pointless "cool" characters are one of my biggest pet peeves in ANY story. If they're just there to be awesome without any story arcs, backgrounds, or any purpose whatsoever... I'd rather not have them there. That's why I was quite annoyed when Uma and Nox were said to return for AV4, but at least I have hopes for their character to get development because they're major PCs.

Te and Gal's runtime are running thin, IMO. Since they're probably just gonna end up being NPCs if they return, I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

shaz wrote:

This is not about the characters or the story - it's about the extra things added to the game that make it more fun to play, even though it's not necessary.

I'm quoting this, because I don't want to hear anything about the characters (and I dread this running off onto a tangent about this character or that one). I'm JUST interested in the extra stuff that has nothing to do with the story or the characters.

Please, please, please, no Te'ijal, Galahad, Edward, Mel, Stella, Uma, Nox or whoever else discussions.

It's also not a thread about what will or won't be in AV4. I'm thinking of things to include in DAU. Whether Amanda reads this and decides what will be in AV4 based on what's said here will be completely up to her :)

shaz wrote:

shaz wrote:

I'm quoting this, because I don't want to hear anything about the characters (and I dread this running off onto a tangent about this character or that one). I'm JUST interested in the extra stuff that has nothing to do with the story or the characters.

Please, please, please, no Te'ijal, Galahad, Edward, Mel, Stella, Uma, Nox or whoever else discussions.

It's also not a thread about what will or won't be in AV4. I'm thinking of things to include in DAU. Whether Amanda reads this and decides what will be in AV4 based on what's said here will be completely up to her :)

oh sorry then =d >_<, I guess my excitement made me post more than i had to D:.

And btw i think the extras of a game are the most important thing in making the game fun (at least for me). In 100% of the games i play i like not doing the main thing/quest,(if i can) I prefer wondering around doing side quests that help nothing but wasting time and satisfy my passion for fun =).

I dont know if i were to play Aveyond without all these extras, each one for its own reason.