Aveyond Studios Community
Emma.

Searching for Power

Hi everybody!

I'm going to start posting another story that I've been working lately. It's a retelling of Av2. Hope you'll like it. I've been working quite hard on it (for the last two years...actually...) and I have some chapters written but I'm going to post them one at a turn. Hope you'll like it!

Ean’s Quest

Searching for Power

~Prologue~

“Wart, where are you?”

The Snow Queen called for her subject – an imp. She was surrounded by ice and shiny snow, just like her white dress and diamond crown. All of the sudden, the imp showed up giggling. It had a bluish color and ruby-like eyes.

“Stop giggling! Have you found a kingdom?” she asked impatiently.

“Yes, your majesty. I found a kingdom in far away land to the East. A kingdom of snow and ice just as you asked. It’s called Shaenir.”

“Excellent! I shall take it as my own!”

“Now that I’ve helped you, I’d like the jewel that you promised. May I have them?”

“Of course…NOT! I still need you! Fulfill my orders and I may let you live.”

“I’m a poor imp, with few powers. What need have you of me?” said the imp slowly.

“You have the magic of trickery! It’s not enough to rule the world, but I can use it so that one kingdom can bow at my feet.”

“That wasn’t our agreement! Give me the reward!”

“Fine… Take it!” she said and aimed her hand at him. All of the sudden, a blue light started to shine around the imp. When he turned and gazed at itself in the ice and saw its face, it realized that he was now a human.

“I’m… human. What have you done to me?” he shouted.

“You’re not just any human. You’re my new Master of Arms. You’ll stay close to me and allow me to use your magic to control the kingdom of Shaenlir. Oh, and Wart, if you kill me, you’ll never gain your true form. Be a good servant and I may let you go.”

“Noooo!!!” he shouted desperately.

“You see, imp, I can play tricks too.” said the Snow Queen laughing. “Take me to Shaenlir!”

The Snow Queen ruled Shaenlir for ten years. Eventually she decided that one kingdom was not enough. She wanted to steal it from another. To rule them all, she needed more power. So, in a true evil fashion, she decided to steal it from another.

“Wart, what news have you?”

“I have discovered a young elf girl of great potential.”

“Has she come into her powers yet?”

“No, your majesty. She does not know that she can use magic.”

“Excellent. She’ll make a perfect sacrifice!”

“Now will you let me go?”

“No, Wart. You’re part in this has only begun.”

~ Ean ~

Ean was an elf boy who just turned seventeen. He lives on a small remote island called The Vale. Today, his best friend Iya had a test through which she will se if she has the potential to be a magic singer. If she passes she will be able to study the Magic of Nature.

He got out of home and into Oldwoods anxious to meet his friend.

~ Iya ~

Iya lifted her eyes full of tears from the ground and looked at the blue sky above her, then to the Elder Oak. “Why? Why didn’t I pass?” This was her third year lost.

“Hey, Iya! There you are! So, how did it go?”

Iya looked around her and saw Ean. He was looking at her with he’s big brown eyes. She liked Ean. He always managed to make her feel better. But now, seeing him just reminded her of her failed exam. Her parents were going to be so disappointed…

“Oh, Ean… What am I going to tell mother? I’ve failed her again…

“Iya… what are you talking about?”

“It’s all I’ve ever wanted. My mother, my grandmother – all singers. What’s wrong with me?”

“There’s nothing wrong about you! You’ll be the best singer The Vale has ever seen. You’re grandma says so.” he said confident.

“Grandma is a batty old elf. She’s half mad. You know that…”

“Come on, Iya. It’s going to be okay. Look, mum is making today her famous butter biscuits. Want to see if she needs help?

Iya hesitated.

“Don’t be silly. I know you want some of my mum’s biscuits. Come!”

“Okay… Let’s go.”

Ean grabbed her hand and kissed her on the cheek. Iya blushed. On the way home, the boy reached his hand to his pocket and pulled a beautiful ribbon out. He handed it to Iya.

“Oh, thank you! It’s so beautiful!” she said excited.

Once home, Ean asked his mother if she needed any help. She sent them out hunting for some honey. On the way to the hive, Eand kept making jokes hoping that his friend would feel better. At first she was still upset, but eventually she gave in and strted to laugh loudly. Time passed like magic and the two of them were home an hour later with honey. Unfortunately it was too late for biscuits and Iya had to leave.

“I’ll see you in the morning and I’ll bring some biscuits over.”

“Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow. Good night Ean!” she said and gave him a small hug.

~ The Disappearance ~

That night, Iya woke up in a strange land. A tall woman dressed in a white dress and wearing a beautiful crown appeared next to her.

“Who are you? Are you the Goddess?

The woman smiled a bit but her eyes remained cold. Her face and her hands were white like the snow that surrounded them.

“Not the Goddess, but somebody with powers just as great. I’ve come to answer your prayers.” She said with a gentle voice

“My prayers? I don’t remember praying.” Iya answered.

“You desire power young girl. The power your ancestors have… the power that wasn’t granted to you.”

“Oh, that. I failed the test. I don’t have the magic that my ancestors have. I can’t talk to the forest… I can’t wake her.” she said sad.

“I can give you the magic that you seek. In return…”

“You will give me power? What price must I pay for it? I’ll do anything…”

“I’m lonely… I desire a daughter…”

“But…” said Iya. “My family wouldn’t let me come with you.”

“They will forget you.”

“They would never forget me! My sister would never forget me!”

“I will make her forget! I will make them forget! You mean nothing to your family but a failed magician. They don’t care about your fate anymore. Tell me, girl, do you accept my offer?” shouted the woman.

“I don’t know… I…” Iya kept stuttering. The she took a deep breath and said: “Okay! I’ll take your offer.”

“I’ll give you power, a crown, a kingdom to fall at your feet. You will never come back here. Welcome, my daughter!”

“What? What do you mean I won’t come back? Wait!”

“Too late! Come, my dear. Your new home awaits!” said the woman while grabbing Iya’s hand. Suddenly, a bright blue light surrounded Iya. The next second she was wearing a beautiful blue dress and a tiny golden crown.

“Who are you?”

“I am the Snow Queen!” said the woman and then, both of them vanished.

Ean dreamt of the wind and the cold. Something was falling from the sky. “What’s this? Frozen rain? What is this white substance?”

“Ean, help me!”

“What? Who said that? ... Iya, is that you?”

“Ean!!!”

“Iya, where are you? Iya!”

Nobody answered. Ean woke up with his face turned towards the window from his room. The light coming from the window was so bright.

“What a strange dream. I feel as if I haven’t slept at all.”

Ean went to his mother…

“Good morning mum!”

“’Morning dear! You have to go outside. Something amazing has happened. The is snow everywhere!” she said excited.

“Um… snow? What is that?”

“Go outside and you’ll see. Oh, before I forget, here’s a biscuit. I just pulled them out of the oven.”

“Thanks mum. Do you mind if I take one to Iya?”

“Who is Iya?” asked the woman. “Is this a new friend?”

“Mum… you know who she is. Stop joking. And stop looking at me like I’m insane…” he said cautiously.

“I’m sure I know her…” she said with a weird voice. “Go on, now. Go outside and enjoy the snow before it melts away.”

Ean went outside. Everything was white, no sign of green. Ean was confused. “What did my mother ment by who is Iya? Why can’t she remember her? This is weird.” He decided to go around the village and search for her. Everybody was talking about the snow; kids were screaming and tossing snow at each other. But the adults were concerned. The Valley of the Elves, as some call it, was always protected by magic which did not allow the cold to settle in. Flowers bloomed throughout the year and leaves were always green. The Magic Singers took care of it. They were incharged with the protection of the land. But now, it seemed that Elfwood and The Vale were threatened by a magic more potent that everything they saw since Ahriman’s time.

Ean went throughout the village asking for Iya. But all he heard was :Ean Okho! The snow has gotten to your head, hasn’t it? There is no one in Elfwood named Iya.”

As his confusion grew bigger, he decided to go to Iya’s house. There, the same answer. There was nobody there who knew a girl named Iya. Her grandmother said that Iya’s name sounds familiar.

“You’re not making any sense. Ean, are you sure you’re okay? Maybe you caught a cold. Go home and drink some hot tee. I do not have a girl named Iya.” said the woman leaving Ean alone in the hallway.

Ean, however, went to Iya’s room and searched under a loose floorboard where Iya kept her favorite things. There he found it.

It was her ribbon. The ribbon he gave to Iya yesterday.

“I knew Iya was real! But how come no one remembers her?”

He got out of Iya’s room and then out of the house. On his way home, an idea came to his head.

“Maybe if I go and meet the Elders. Maybe they can help me.”

Ean made his way to the meadow where the Elders usually gather. He asked to speak with Elder Lery.

“I’d like to ask you something, Elder Lery. My friend Iya is missing… I don’t know where to look for her. I went to her deserted room and found the ribbon I gave her, but all her other things are gone… And then the snow came…”

“Child, I do not know what you’re asking of me. We are all worried about the snow. I know nothing about this Iya.” he answered with a grave voice.

“Nobody knows her. Nobody remembers her. She’s my best friend. I have to find her!”

The Elders looked at Ean surprised. Ean kept quiet for a few moments.

“Wait a minute….” He said all of the sudden. “Elder Lery, what would you do if you had a question. A question no elf could answer.”

“I would ask the Elder Oak, of course.”

“But I don’t have magic. I can’t wake him. Only a singer can.”

“The Elder Oak will wake if that who asks for his help is in need. If you’re need is great enough, young Ean, the Elder Oak will answer your call. Go now… We must talk” he said while turning towards the other two Elders.

After talking to the Elders, Ean went home and packed a few things including the ribbon and his biscuit which he saved for Iya. The he set out for Oldwoods. He turned around and looked at his village, covered in snow and then he moved forward.

He arrived in the center of the forest. The trees were so tall that they seemed to touch the sky and their branches were so rich and tightly sealed together that the whole forest seemed frozen in an eternal twilight.

That was a tough one. It's a bit bigger than the rest of my chapters (From Redeemer, The Lord of the Twilight Or Searching of Power). But it will make it up for the long wait you guys had to .... well... wait:))

Anyways, hope you'll like it:)

~The Land of Man ~

Once he arrived in the center of the forest, Ean looked carefully around him. The Elder Oak was the biggest tree in Oldwoods. That is because he was the one that gave life to the entire forest. Through him flowed one of the most powerful magic there were, nearly as powerful as the Goddesses. The boy came closer…

“Elder Oak, I need your help!” said the boy, but the Elder Oak remained silent. “Please tree spirit! I need your help! Winter came in the vale and my friend, Iya Tiki is missing!” Ean shouted. The tree remained silent once more. “Nobody remembers her… I have her ribbon; I found it in her deserted room. Nobody can help me… Please talk to me!”

The Elder Oak’s branches stirred and cracked and the tree was coming to life. His voice was grave and old voice. A voice that hasn’t changed in ages.

“Your friend is at great peril. The snow Queen has her now. If Iya does not escape, the Queen will take her magic and claim it for her own.

“Are you sure we’re talking about the same elf?” he said confused. “Iya does not have magic. She failed her magic test yesterday.”

“In time, she will find her magic. But until there, she is vulnerable. You must help her escape. Should you fail, your friend will die along everyone else.”

“And how am I supposed to do that? Where is this snow Queen?”

“Go to the Land of Man. Climb a mountain covered in ice. Your friend awaits you there.”

“The Land of Man?” Ean said. “Few elves have survived that place to tell the tale. I’m doomed to fail even before I’ve begun.”

“You have a power of your own, young Ean. Find it, and you may survive.”

The tree went silent for a few minutes. Ean was shaking in fear. The Land of Man? Who was this goddess? Why would she want to hurt his friend? Eventually, Ean raised his eyes and looked at the tree.

“Is that it? That’s all the advice you have for me?”

“When you need is great, the Oracle will come to your aid.”

“The Oracle? What Oracle?”

The elder Oak did not answer. Then he said again:

“Careful the way thy footsteps fall. Mystery lies ahead and Mystery lies behind. Thread carefully on the path you choose.” Said the Elder Oak and then he went silent.

“Wait a minute! I’m not ready for this!”

The Elder Oak didn’t answer. Then, Ean went to him and grabbed one of his branches. A moment later, Ean opened his eyes in an unknown meadow.

“Where am I? Ean said while looking at the forest above him. “This must be the Land of Man.”

The meadow was poorly lightened because of the big threes. Large drips of water were coming down o him making their way through the labyrinth of leafs. Ean got out.

Once he reached the end of the forest he saw a river making its way through the plains. Far away to the north, he saw a huge chain of snowy mountains surrounded by a thick fog. “I think those are the mountains I’m supposed to get. Hmm… is that a canoe? I think I would get there faster if I go upstream.” Ean went to the canoe and placed it on the water. It was light, but intact. He placed his backpack in the canoe and started to paddle.

Half a day later, he was standing at the base of the mountains, eating. “It would be better if I made it to a city until tomorrow. I don’t have that much food left” he thought. After he finished eating, he started to walk on a tiny path that made its way through the mountain, hoping he was taking the right one. Not too far from the place he stopped, he saw a sigh. Moving closer to it, he saw that there were two cities. Shaenlir - North and Ryva - South. He kept going until he saw a small cave in which he decided to stop for the night. Because of the high peaks, the Sun had already set. He found some dry grass and some brambles and two stones. After a few failed tries and a bruise to his finger, he managed to make a fire. In the morning, something shiny got his attention. A small amulet with a sapphire in it was standing near the place where he made the fire along side a pouch full with gold coins. “What luck!”

Ean took the gold coins and the amulet and then he got out of the cave. After a half of day of walking, he got to an ice covered bridge that connected two peaks. Beyond then, on a high plateau he saw the city gates.

Okay. I always mean to comment on this but then I never do. Sorry, I'm just that kind of person.

This is really good! I especially liked the description of the Elder Oak. It was . . . What's the word I'm looking for. [d]Cool? Neat? Poetic?[/d] . . . I can't think of it. I'm just going to say it gave me a very nice visualization. Keep it up!

It does. I enjoy descriptions in stories and books. Even though I've played the game and I know what the places look like, I like it a lot. Descriptions just add . . . Something. I don't like when a book has just action after action. It gets old.