Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
theone

Your views on a 3-D gun?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/06/3-handgun-fired-cody-wilson

Really raises huge problems for security, I think. You do not have to smuggle a gun anywhere, if there's one of these printers, just need a few bullets. It's a significant development.

However, I just can't agree with any internet censorship either, so I'm undecided either way. Not mentioned in the article is that their's a case on its legality going on.

So what's your view on it?

I think it's pretty neat idea and a great step forward in technology.

I don't agree with banning the gun, the 3-D printers, or any kind of censoring that people want to do with this. I just think that technology regarding security also needs to go forward.

We are lucky enough to have one of these 3D printers in our class, and it can make some pretty darn impressive stuff. And all from a biodegradable plastic made from corn.

I've been told by my teacher about its ability to print a working gun, and I have mixed feelings about it. My first reaction is "Whoa there."

My second is that technology has come a long way. It's crazy that you can "print" a working weapon, and it kind of scares me. But I agree with Mopiece that people should stay safe as long as security measures improve.

Really raises huge problems for security, I think. You do not have to smuggle a gun anywhere, if there's one of these printers, just need a few bullets. It's a significant development.

While I do agree that there is a security issue, I don´t think it lies with the use of the printers. I doubt criminals or who ever else will just bring the bullets with them and make the gun with the printer at the place of the crime.

One reason is that these printers are not widely available and won´t be for a while.

second reason that printing a gun is not very subtle

third reason because the gun cannot be detected anyway, so they actually take the same risk of being detected as when they would just carry the bullets

One reason is that these printers are not widely available and won´t be for a while.

Exactly this. 3D printers are hard to get, and are not at all available to everyone. It would be difficult for a criminal to obtain one of these printers (if they were just an ordinary person).

Besides, the criminal would have to design the gun. You can't just print any object you want. You can either use one of the designs that are pre-programmed in, or you go on a 3D crafting program, design something, and print it out. This requires some fancy programs.

This is just some stuff I thought about since my earlier post.

yannes wrote:

While I do agree that there is a security issue, I don´t think it lies with the use of the printers. I doubt criminals or who ever else will just bring the bullets with them and make the gun with the printer at the place of the crime.

second reason that printing a gun is not very subtle

third reason because the gun cannot be detected anyway, so they actually take the same risk of being detected as when they would just carry the bullets

True, but I was thinking about it more from a terrorism perspective. Assuming that an airport has one, and it is very likely that they will as this becomes more common, and an employee (And prospective terrorist) has access to it, it could be dangerous

The time, money, and accessibility needed to create a gun using a 3D printer is astronomical compared to simply buying a real gun. I don't think we'd ever have to worry about criminal use of 3D printers.

Though if there's one thing humans prove about technology and demand, it's that if it's popular enough humans will find a way to make that tech cheaper, smaller, and more efficient.

On a scale of 1-10 for nervousness, I put 3D printers in general at a 3. Not much cause of concern currently, but later in the future?

Eh hopefully it doesn't come to that.

And oh look! I'm online! This is fabulous! <3

As was said...

The issue is not that you can actually print the gun, it's more that you can easily make a gun from a material that is hidden to metal detectors.

What Sargon says is exactly the problem with this gun. While Federal Laws in US would require anyone printing this gun to insert a piece of metal, it's unlikely that any criminal would actually follow that law. This would make it dangerous, as metal detectors can not detect it, thus allowing a potentially harmful weapon into sensitive places, leading to loss of human life