Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sargon

How does Amaranth survive?

Well, people obviously still do buy the PC games and game making engines from Amaranth, as it's still in business. Personally, I'll buy a game from Amaranth instead of from a different place in order to support Amanda and her team.

And there have been no announcements or any talk about the site closing, and Amaranth continues to make games for us, so I'm assuming all is well.

Aveyond's a pretty famous game, I'm sure Amaranth still sells Rhen's quest.

I used to think she'd be super rich, but now I admire her for management. Amaranth ears the most at a single point, when a game is released. To manage that wealth for about 9-12 months min, until the next game must be hard

I think part of the reason is that Aveyond is pretty popular with RPG folks. I've been watching BFG's RPG list for a long time, and what I've noticed is that while new RPGs may dominate the #1 spot due to brisk sales during the first month, inevitably, in the long run, all six Aveyond games will still float back into the Top 10 RPGs. One or two may fall off for a short spell, but all six will always bounce back again, which is no small feat.

With the coming of the iOS and Android markets though, I cannot pretend that I'm not a little scared at the way Sandlot, Reflexive, Alawar, Playfirst, and many other prominent game developers abandoned the PC/Mac market (even abandoning support for their own game catalogue) and pray that Amaranth won't ever need to go the same way. What we have to remember is that those companies are probably very investor conscious, so they had to abandon what they saw as a declining market in favour of richer pastures. But I don't think PC games will truly die until Windows phase out support for Windows 7, which hopefully won't be for another five years.

(Aside from anything else, I don't think I can play my DotA on a Samsung pad - I'd get owned for sure! XD)

I don't think PC gaming will disappear for quite some time. I can't see playing the FPS's, RTS's and RPG's I like on a small touchscreen. I need a keyboard, mouse and big screen to get the full effect. :)

Ditto Arggie: I doubt PC gaming will completely disappear.

You can't really play money games like COD, Skyrim, WoW, etc. on a tiny screen. You could technically play them with a controller but I don't considering how small touchscreens are, the controller would be larger than the the iphone/android/galaxies lol.

Personally, I can't get with the androids/istuff. I prefer traditional pc with mouse/keyboard anytime.

Well, I didn't say PC market will completely disappear.

I said the PC market for casual and 2D RPG might have shrinked a lot?

I don't recall when was the last time I heard of BFG, and if I heard of them it's because they also put games on mobile.

A phone or even a tablet cannot compete with the power and big screen of a PC in games such as FPS. But 2D RPG and casual games don't need the same uber realistic power consuming 3D graphics the PC FPS games need.

I even got some final fantasy game to play on my phone while I am on the train(though I got bored of it XD).

I am not sure how much people use the PC for gaming as they used to. I think the "hardcore" PC gaming is always kind of competing with the consoles.

But the casual\2D RPG games are in direct competition with mobile.

A person who plays casual\2D RPG game is usually not the type of person who would play a bloody 3D FPS.

So first, this person probably don't own a PS or XBOX. And second, this person might ditch the PC for games altogether since he probably spend more time with his phone rather than the PC.

But...

There is another thing to consider.

Amaranth has always been a sort of a niche company. That is why I guess Amanda never got super rich like some other indie have from a single title.

So even if the PC market has shrinked a lot, nobody taps the entire market in the first place and there might be still plenty of players in the PC market for casual and RPGs.

There is another thing, how does Amanda reach new players? If she is not reaching new players, she might be in a bad position. It's harder for her to reach to new player with PC games because that is not the current buzz.

I don't recall almost any news who got viral about PC indie games, especially Casual\RPG.

There are certain gaming news that reach the masses, that "everyone reads". PC casual and RPG games don't seem to be in them at all anymore.

Amaranth has always been a sort of a niche company. That is why I guess Amanda never got super rich like some other indie have from a single title.

So even if the PC market has shrinked a lot, nobody taps the entire market in the first place and there might be still plenty of players in the PC market for casual and RPGs.

There is another thing, how does Amanda reach new players? If she is not reaching new players, she might be in a bad position. It's harder for her to reach to new player with PC games because that is not the current buzz.

I don't recall almost any news who got viral about PC indie games, especially Casual\RPG.

Not even sure what in the world is the point of this thread. Do you want business tips from Amanda and co on how to run an indie game-making business or do you want to criticize the way she's running things now?

Amanda is not limiting herself to PC games. Curse at Twilight is available on the Mac. It should be on iPad soon, and Gypsy's Tale already is. Pixel Pygmies is being developed for multiple platforms, and we are aiming to have our RPGs run on multiple platforms too, though I'm not sure when the first of those will be released.

Ok, that make sense.

I also remember Amanda saying that she makes Aveyond for fun so it's a hint Aveyond is no longer very profitable and she makes it mostly for her fans and her own fun?

shaz, did you notice a real drop in profits from PC games?

Edit: I bout a Gypsy's tale for the iPad eventhough it's not my type of game. To show support :)

Sargon wrote:

I also remember Amanda saying that she makes Aveyond for fun so it's a hint Aveyond is no longer very profitable and she makes it mostly for her fans and her own fun?

When did she say this? :S I had no idea that was the case. But . . . It obviously still has to be popular enough that Amanda can make SOME money off of it. If the game is popular enough that she'll make it "just for fun", some people are still buying it.

I phrased that terribly, but you get the point.

Sargon wrote:

shaz, did you notice a real drop in profits from PC games?

I am not privy to Amanda's sales figures, but even if I were, that's not something I could divulge ;)

you know i had this question too at some point this year, don't ask me why. however i only played the aveyond series, it's the first set of rpg games i've ever played - so i thought my doubts don't really weigh much. i guess you can say Aveyond is pretty good because for first timers like me, it ushers you into other playing other rpg games. i've since then explored other rpg makers, but i also plan to buy more of amaranth-made games.

one thing that i noticed is that rpg makers are very supportive of each other.

also when i like an rpg game maker i buy they games directly from their site, like what i did and will be doing with amaranth games and aldorlea games. i hope that helps them if at all. i just did that this month, feels pretty good.

here is my reason, i'll tell you anyway - i want to make my own rpg games!

EA doesn't make the games, they publish the games from companies they own. I'd argue that some of the companies are known much more for their story/characterization than the shooting part. It's just unfortunate that EA, due to forcing companies to release games before they're ready and stick in badly implemented multiplayer, ruins the product.

Bioware for example has made great games that usually have awesome characterization and somewhat decent storyline. If you asked me whether I prefer Mass Effect or Aveyond, yeah sorry Aveyond. Mass Effect is it (if I just ignore the last 10 minutes or so). My love of quirky Teijal doesn't hold a candle to the love I have for my dorky archaeologist turned badass Liara haha. Same with Dragon Age: Origins which doesn't have any shooting unless you've archers in your team heh.

What I've been curious about is the demographics (I'm not even sure if Amanda has a way to track this - unless age is recorded when signing up for accounts?).  I've long been curious whether these types of RPGs skew older to computer fogies like me (mid-30s) as they tend to be simpler to understand and play or whether for that very reason these RPGs skew younger to people first getting into gaming...or just somewhere in between!

Thanks for posting that Amanda - that's very interesting!  I love your games because they remind me of some of the first I ever cut my teeth on (King's Quest, Legend of Kyrandia were my favourites) and I wonder if it's the same for the majority.  Something fun to think about, thank you.

The oldest games have been around for 10 years already so surely the age group is quite wide. There are a lot of people who played the first games and have sticked around for the newer ones as well... I hope that I will be able to have the time and money keep with the games from Amaranthia yet for many years because of this love and nostalgia (especially the RPGs).