Aveyond Studios Community
Danin

Aveyond Religion Discussion

daeva_agas wrote:

Hmm... seeing how Green Rock Temple was desolate and overrun with weeds even when Clearwater is still alive and running, looks like the people simply shifted religions.

Where'd the druids go, though? They WERE important enough to warrant being targeted by Ahriman, so... the Oracle said "Look, let me be in charge alone now so you won't be in danger", maybe?

Hmm... Since they were actual immortal people it would be more difficult to brush them off the same way people dismiss gods and other heavenly entities.

It looks like the old religions became less and less relevant, resulting in a reduced need for the druids. Kind of makes you wonder what happened to Talia and Devin though.

Bah, you replied before I was done editing my post.

That's the point. Green Rock Temple WAS actually dedicated to a god: Ahurani, the god of agriculture.

So... the druid serve minor gods individually, but the "great goddess" entrusted them with the Sword of Shadows? And because the minor gods become irrelevant/told them they're allowed to retire, they just retire and abandon the temples?

Or maybe the druids still believe in the gods, but the people don't anymore so they run off elsewhere because they don't need to answer to people anymore.

daeva_agas wrote:

Hmm... seeing how Green Rock Temple was desolate and overrun with weeds even when Clearwater is still alive and running, looks like the people simply shifted religions.

Which makes me wonder AGAIN what was up with the druids. They WERE important enough to warrant being targeted by Ahriman, so... whaddup? The Oracle said "Look, let me be in charge alone now so you won't be in danger", maybe? I mean, they're not just random priests serving some god. They have some kind of power/importance to be keepers of the Sword of Shadows!

Maybe they were hidden away by the Oracle to prevent anything like this from happening again? And that they still have their powers and do their duties but in secret? The areas they were residing in changed when they disappeared, people felt at unease, etc, etc. So they can't just have up and vanished.

Though that raises the question of why Rashnu didn't stop Gyendal, considering he was friendly enough with Teijal (Or was that in Kaz's story only?)

If the druids are immortal, then they must still exist. If I remember correctly, there was a Druids Guild in Naylith, and I think they were mentioned somehow in Mysten Far. So they haven't been forgotten completely. The Aia in the Lost Orb series seems to be monotheistic, so maybe the Druids just abandoned the temples when they saw that they were no longer being worshipped? What did they even do in AV 1? They were meant to guard the sword of shadows, but when that was no longer needed, maybe they just retired?

theone wrote:

Though that raises the question of why Rashnu didn't stop Gyendal, considering he was friendly enough with Teijal (Or was that in Kaz's story only?)

They never mentioned this in the actual game...so maybe it's from Kaz's story? I remember reading something about this on tumblr.

EDIT: I know this is extremely random and off-topic, but I just felt the need to tell someone - I just realized that theone's username is THE ONE. Up until now, I thought it was Greek and pronounced it thee-OWN-ee...

theone wrote:

First, the "WHERE DID DRUIDS GO???" question needs to be answered because that's the whole point :o

The shrines looked like they've been abandoned for a veeeery long time. If all the druids up and left at the same time, BEFORE Gyendal even started to do anything, it could have been that Rashnu wasn't even aware that there was anything afoot when he left :S

I mean, remember that Gyendal isn't doing anything weird before he found Mordred's book, and that is NOT very long before AV3 started. It's not like he's been at this project for hundreds of years! I would give it about a decade or so prior to AV3 because he said he spent a few years looking for Mel. Even then, he MAY have not made his discovery public. If nobody knows what he's doing, there's not any proof that he's doing anything that needs to be stopped at all.

Plus, there's this new vampire council that didn't seem to be there previously. My headcanon is that Rashnu was the previous governor of Ghed'ahre, got bored, established the council so the vampires can take care of themselves, then left to do... whatever.

And about Gyendal... well, remember that the vampire public didn't even KNOW about the orbs until Gyendal made his public speech in AV3? I supposed Gyendal only told his minions and Te'ijal about it and nobody else. Te'ijal didn't like the idea of enslaving humans and they got into a big fight over it. Then Gyendal ran off and the rest is history.

But that's kind of beside the point. I still wonder just what is up with Demon Realm. The Oracle said in AV2 that Aveyond bridges Demon Realm and Human World and it would be BAD if Aveyond disappears, so... WHY????? I mean, if Aveyond disappears, what would happen is that the Demon Realm would be lost and then it's a good thing, right? No more evil demons!

That is kind of important because there's the goddess statue in Demon Realm too! You have to steal from it to increase your luck, but hey. The mirror-Aveyond portal DID lead back home. The Oracle may be helping both Mel and Mordred, but she still DID help Mel home. She never promised she'd be home untainted. So the human-demons connection is kind of an important thing to consider in relation to the goddess.

daeva_agas wrote:

The Oracle said in AV2 that Aveyond bridges Demon Realm and Human World and it would be BAD if Aveyond disappears, so... WHY????? I mean, if Aveyond disappears, what would happen is that the Demon Realm would be lost and then it's a good thing, right? No more evil demons!.

The Oracle said that Aveyond was the binding between the human realm and demon realm, presumably meaning that Aveyond is what keeps the two realms separate (at least, that's how I interpreted it). Aveyond is the central point where the human and demon realms converge, and if it were to disappear, demons would be able to get through, the world would suck, basically what happened in Aveyond 1. The daevas were able to travel to the human realm and terrorize people because Aveyond was weakening and didn't keep them out, hence why there were bees everywhere at the beginning of the game, but they disappeared when you defeated Ahriman at the end. (But then the REAL question is, why did the Oracle say that Aveyond was weakening in AV 2?)

daeva_agas wrote:

That is kind of important because there's the goddess statue in Demon Realm too! You have to steal from it to increase your luck, but hey. The mirror-Aveyond portal DID lead back home. The Oracle may be helping both Mel and Mordred, but she still DID help Mel home. She never promised she'd be home untainted. So the human-demons connection is kind of an important thing to consider in relation to the goddess.

Yes, there was a statue of the goddess in the Demon Realm, but that was in Shadow Aveyond, where everything is inverted. So the donation box wouldn't be there to worship the goddess, it's just there simply because it exists in the regular Aveyond. My personal headcanon is that the donations go to a Shadow Goddess (who would also be the Shadow Oracle, I guess...), and you have to steal because the Shadow Goddess rewards acts of evil.

And the Shadow Oracle helped Mel only to further her own evil purposes. It wasn't like she was doing it out of the goodness of her heart or anything. She knew that Mel would return to the human realm tainted, so she really wasn't helping her at all. Mel probably wouldn't have WANTED to go home if she knew that it would make her a lunatic who would try to kill her friends and fulfill the prophecy that she spent 3 games trying to avoid.

moonpeace wrote:

And the Shadow Oracle helped Mel only to further her own evil purposes. It wasn't like she was doing it out of the goodness of her heart or anything. She knew that Mel would return to the human realm tainted, so she really wasn't helping her at all. Mel probably wouldn't have WANTED to go home if she knew that it would make her a lunatic who would try to kill her friends and fulfill the prophecy that she spent 3 games trying to avoid.

True, but that does raise the question as to why she wanted to help Mordred in the first place

The Oracle said that Aveyond was the binding between the human realm and demon realm, presumably meaning that Aveyond is what keeps the two realms separate (at least, that's how I interpreted it).

That interpretation makes no sense. "Binding" means "tie together". If she meant "keep separate", she would have said that Aveyond is what "separates" the two realm, not "bind".

Unless that's an editing error and whoever wrote that was sleepy and didn't realize they made a mistake :facepalm:

Yes, there was a statue of the goddess in the Demon Realm, but that was in Shadow Aveyond, where everything is inverted.

width=800http://24.media.tumblr.com/9438541d2a01b5dc2479a9524299fbd4/tumblr_mvxmpyomEI1sckaego1_1280.jpg[/img]

I never knew Shadow Aveyond is spelled "Sheian Lyr" :roll:

The very reason why I brought up the darn statue in the first place was because it's in Sheian Lyr, which is a demon village.

True, but that does raise the question as to why she wanted to help Mordred in the first place

I still say that the Shadow Oracle is like a robot/puppet who helps anyone who came her way without discerning between good and evil. That still makes some sense.

Why did she help Mordred? Because she helps everyone, evil intentioned be damned. If Ahriman comes along and asks to be sent to the human realm, she'd probably do it. Why did she send Mel off with the tainted staff? Because to HER, there's nothing wrong with the staff. It's just a super-special-awesome weapon and Mel is allowed to have it because why not?

The goddess in my opinion rules over both sides. Whether or not people actually believe in her is irrelevant.

To extend on that, my headcanon goes this way:

Shadow Aveyond is the "main door" of sorts between Demon Realm and Human Realm. This relates to the whole thing about Aveyond being the link between the two realms. The name is "Shadow Aveyond" not because it's dark/evil, but because it's a shadow of the real Aveyond. A weak copy. It's only there for function's sake.

And then "demons" don't always want to rule humans. Most of them don't even care. But every once in a while crazy ones show up and then problem happens because the Shadow Oracle keeps on helping them. That's why the goddess dissolved Aveyond in AV2, keeping only a small portion of it available, just so that the connection is not lost completely. Only after situation is back under control that Aveyond is rebuilt.

I won't elaborate too much because it's out of topic, but in my headcanon Ahriman also made a huge mess in Demon Realm way back before AP, so that's why it's dissolved in AV2. After AV1, the Demon Realm government has to sort out the mess that Ahriman made first.

Sheian Lyr has a statue because that's where the stray humans mostly land when they somehow stumble into Demon Realm. Because of Shadow Aveyond's presence, any "illegal" door to Demon Realm would throw the person to somewhere near Sheian Lyr. You have to steal from it because Demon Realm's law of existence is wonky (poison = medicine, anyone?).

The "main doors" connect to each other, provided both sides are open. Anyone who passes "legally" will land in the door of the other side (Shadow Aveyond and wherever the human realm door is). Anyone who passes illegally, or if the door on the other side is locked, will land in the nearest open (illegal) portal or somewhere near the main door.

"Legal" permission to cross over can only be obtained from the Real Oracle or Demon Realm government.

But yeah, that's just me and my theory.

I want to respond to that "Where did the Druids go?" question, since I think no one (or only a few) is trying to hypothesize or contemplate on that question.

I think the Druids may have taken their roles seriously, although not necessarily staying at their respective temples to do it. This probably would be the same with the nymphs, since we also see Heptitus doing evil things in Aveyond 3... except that she still is with her witch community (worth noting: she is not only an evil witch. She is THE evil witch).

Just a few of my thoughts. :)

I wonder if there might have been some crusade between AV1 and AV2, driving out the druids and the worship of their gods. The druids are strong, but Agas almost killed Talia, and Rhen and company soundly thumped his behind later in the game. With enough force, and good tactics, mortals could have very well forced them out. Then, the crusaders put up donation boxes everywhere, and boom. Money making scheme ultima. Then, the oracle sees what's going on, and says, "wow, this is really stupid," rushes in with all her oracle glory, and claims to be THE GODDESS, everyone believes her, she takes the money, and it goes towards helping people. Then, as people start worshiping her, she gets more power, which peaks at AV2. By AV3, people have stopped caring about her as much, hence her lessened role.

Hmmm, that is plausible, but I don't think the mortals would drive out the Druids, and if they did the Oracle would most certainly retaliate. And if she didn't, then what kind of protector is she? More likely, the mortals simply forgot about the Druids, and worshipping the goddess became more common. Most people didn't seem to know about or care about the Druids in Aveyond 1. Of course, they didn't know about the goddess either, but still...

See, that's why I love Aveyond so much. It leaves so much room for headcanons :)