Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
afshispeaks

Video game

The term “Safe” is not very specific… if you’re worried that by being a game developer someone might sneak up on you and club you over the head with a haunch… well, it is possible (in fact, I keep an eye out for just such events with every trip through the deli section at our local market).

If you’re worried that there will no longer be a need for games… that’s always possible too… the world could be pressed into infinite work without a single moment for leisure (but I suppose if that occurs, you’ve got a bit larger issue to worry about).

If you’re worried that you will learn a skill that would not be transferrable in the event that you want/need to do something else… well, I can’t think of any skill you would learn programming games that you wouldn’t use if games were banished from the Earth and we were all writing line-of-business applications.

So, “Safe”… not really… but what is industry is immune from risk (and of course, if it did exist… would you not then worry that it didn’t have sufficient risk/reward… remember, those two are quite often associated)?

There are a lot of hi-tech jobs and it's a pretty good career choice.

If you learn Computer Science at university you can get into a game industry job but you can also get other hi tech jobs in case you are fed up with the game industry.

So I would say if you study to be a programmer you would both be able to get a job in the game industry(if you are good enough) but could also get other jobs in the HiTech as a fallback.

It's really much easier to be sell games today than it is before, what with the Google PLay market...

If you make an app, sell it for $1 and 1000 people is willing to buy it, you get $1000. But as with any business, you don't know how many downloads you'll get in any given time.

Ditto Bryce about risks. There's always a risk.