Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
vumpires_assistant

College & Gaming

Ever since I stepped into college, I found it hard to balance studies and gaming. But I know some people on facebook who are in college who can play games like they got too much time on their hands. I'm actually jealous.

Seriously college gamers... How do you do it?

im in my second semester of college now. im a pretty intense gamer. i think its my schedule that allows it. i only have class on tuesday and thursday, but i spend the whole day both of those days on campus. i usetuesday and friday for studying and hopework so ive got saturday, sunday, and monday to do whatever i want. like staying up all night killing zombies.

Honestly I don't sleep. I'm a full time college student and when I finally feel like my minds going to explode from to much studying. I take a break from it all. Sometimes when its possible, I play in between classes when Ive gotten everything for my classes done. Staying up till 4:00 at night also helps, but it also means that you will become a zombie like me. But if you don't want to crash like i do, I suggest you pick a time in your day, were you dedicate it to yourself entirely. Whether it be gaming or not, just do something you enjoy doing. It's the best way to avoid becoming entirely to stressed during your college career. Hope this helps.

You can game all you want after you're done in college. It's a management thing, if you're good at it and have the energy then do it.

You see, some people doesn't just need a lot of sleep. It's different for all of us. Get the big picture, if I'm gonna play during college how would this affect me in three weeks, in three days?

It's been almost ten years since I first downloaded Ahriman's Prophecy by Amaranth Games. I was eleven and my parent had just bought the first computer in my life (excluding school computers). It was the first game I downloaded and played at home on the pc. I've graduated from college, have a decent position at a medial research facility, I've never owned a computer that hasn't had Ahriman's Prophecy installed on it. It's been years since I played it. How did I balance school and gaming? I didn't sleep for years that's how hah.

If you include plenty of time for homework, studying, and projects you my be able to carve out some fun time. My schedule varied throughout the semesters, but sometimes I could keep a chunk of time open on Tues, Thurs, and Sunday for fun stuff including games. A friend of mine who did more gaming did school stuff everyday from 7am - 7pm and had evenings open.

Having music as a major, I really find it hard to have other activities since I need to allot my free time for practice.

I couldn't game much anymore, or write fanfics.

Although, I could have some time to game whenever it was summer vacation. But only games that have endings. Not online RPGs that I would be really addicted with. It's easier to have a goal to finish a game, than just playing for addiction.

But that's just what I think.

First year computer engineering student here. I practically signed myself a dismissal contract from life when I got into this uni.

I have a fourth year friend who studies medicine in a private uni. She still gets more free time than I do. Although her health is very poor and she mostly misses lectures and stuff because of that. Another friend of mine studies political science.

I am just drooling over all their free time and their status updates on facebook. :c

Ruffi wrote:

First year computer engineering student here. I practically signed myself a dismissal contract from life when I got into this uni.

I have a fourth year friend who studies medicine in a private uni. She still gets more free time than I do. Although her health is very poor and she mostly misses lectures and stuff because of that. Another friend of mine studies political science.

I am just drooling over all their free time and their status updates on facebook. :c

They probably spend their free time online, instead of doing something else.

Usually, most people tend to have almost the same amount of free time in Uni, just depends how you utilise it :)

I'm working on my Master's in Accounting at the moment, and I make time for gaming. It's a good way to relax and take a break from studying. Granted, I only have classes three days a week, but I do have a lot of reading and studying in between those days, plus assignments. I also have two children, one of whom has physical disabilities. It's just a matter of prioritizing and managing your time. You have to take some time for yourself or you will get burned out fast.

It all comes down on how you utilise your time. During my college years I had class mates who seemed to only play DotA the whole day but still managed to finish homeworks / group projects / research projects... and graduated as docs. xD

@BeMused: I have those too. They study 16 courses the night before the exam in 4 hours and pass with 7/10. It's frustrating for those who worked to actually understand what they studied, not just memorized everything like a parakeet ¬_¬

I'm well out of college (or university as we called it here) and I'll admit that I had plenty of time for friends/gaming/what not as I may not have paid as close attention to my studies as I could have. ;) However my study of the subject of life was amazing! lol

The real time suck that I'm now dealing with is two kids under the age of 3...and I have no doubt that the demands on my time will only continue to grow. At this point I save an hour for myself each evening after the kids have gone to bed and all the chores are done...it's my free hour for reading/games/tv which is when I usually get my play in. If I didn't keep that hour to myself each day I think I may go insane!

@Jayshe: Do you mind if I ask what field did you graduate in? I am really curious to see how people find a balance between free time and university/college and how the majors are affecting it.

I am in college too now even in the last of semester (maybe lol) I play games just when I have time and don't have any homework, but if I have lots of them, I will do that first. Studies are more important, right??

Right now, I'm a senior undergrad who's writing his thesis while pursuing 6 English linguistics courses. In addition, I'm also an organization officer, a part-time reading tutor, and I'm studying Japanese and Thai while also learning translation. :)

...And I'm proud of saying that I get to still play games on my laptop or on my consoles (Vita, 3DS, DSi) for as long as 4 hours. I play games when I think that I had enough dealing with difficult concepts, when I'm starting to get stressed over long, grueling readings, and when I finished something successfully.

However, while I think that time management DOES matter in all of these, there will be instances that you will have to sacrifice something to do something else that's probably of greater significance (e.g. emergency situations like sudden assignments, facing your professors, etc.). Nonetheless, it still helps if you begin a school task and finish it early/before the deadline.

This doesn't mean that I don't give enough time to sleep, although my body clock has been ruined thanks to thesis and gaming lol. ;) I hope I made sense lol