Aveyond Studios Community
Emma.

Short story Part I A Cat's tale

A Cat’s Tale.

Dark and cold. I saw the cricket jumping through the thick, tall grass. I was so hungry, so I shook my tail and prepared to jump. Suddenly, the wind changed and with it came the scent of something I thought I’d never smell again: humans. They were nearby. I let my pray go. It wasn’t worth the effort of catching it anyways. I thought of my mother and brothers. The thought of never seeing them again made me sad. For fourteen moons I’ve been away from them.

But these humans were different than the ones who threw me away. They sounded…younger. And among them I could smell the scent of cats mixed with the weird things my mother called clothes. They used that to keep warm. Why they didn’t grow fur…it was beyond me. They did have this awfully long hair covering their heads.

I ventured out into the unknown, trying to find where the voices were coming from.

A large wall was covering them from sight. I tried to climb it, but my claws didn’t have anything to clutch on and I fell. I felt my fur being pulled down in the spot where a sticky…thing was on my tummy. Some human put that there and made a sound like it was chocking. My mother called that laughter.

Laughter from the wooden bench they were sitting on. Now I could see them. The pale moonlight revealed five humans sitting on the bench, talking. I jumped again and this time managed to climb it. Then, I picked the one human who had the cat smell on. And I climbed on her leg and I looked right into her eyes.

“Awww, look it’s a cat! Oh my Gosh, he’s so cute!!!” she said. I didn’t understand a thing she was saying, making that weird sounds. But I could tell from the look on her face that she was happy… happy to see me.

And so, she started scratching my back gently. Ah… it was so nice and cozy. I stood there for many hours, just enjoying the petting. I must have fallen asleep for a while. Then she got up and said to the other human who was sitting on the bench. The others have gone.

“What I am supposed to do? I can’t leave him here… the dogs will kill him.”

I heard a howl not far away. Dogs… brutal creatures that enjoyed chasing me around. They even caught my father once. But my father was a strong cat. He scratched the eyes of the dog and got away. My mother told me to get into a tree whenever there are dogs around. Dogs can’t climb. But she was holding me.

“I’m going to take him home.” She said

“Ok. Then I’ll walk you home.” Said the other human.

And thus, we started moving. I had no idea where they were taking me. But it was better than being alone. It was a short walk. I think I saw that house two moons ago. It was rather big and with a distinct smell of a big dog. I shivered and then I saw the dogs. There were five of them chasing each other and making a lot of noise. But they ignored us for some reason.

“Ok, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said

“Good night!” he said, then left.

“Well little kitty, here we are. Welcome to your new home!”

She was talking to me. I looked around and saw a nice box with lots of cloth in it. It was a good place to get some sleep and I was so tired. So I jumped from her arms and made my way to the box, jumped in it and coiled. It was very cozy. She came to me and petted my head whispering something, then she left. I was left alone again. But I knew that night would be the only time when I would be left alone. I looked around and saw a nice fence around me. It would keep me safe. So I closed my eyes and suddenly it was morning.

Another human was walking into the yard. I was so hungry, so I went to her and told her I need food.

Not sure if she understood, but a few minutes later I had a big bowl full of a delicious looking white liquid. Ah, the smell of milk in the morning. I drank it all. She left shortly afterwards.

~A new friend~

While waiting for the girl to get out of the house I was looking for something to do. And then I gound  it: a fluttering white thing hanging near a door. I looked at it and it fluttered right in front of my nose. I declared war to it and jumped to attack. I scratched and I bit it and scratched again. It stopped fluttering. Ha, I had shown it.
Then I heard the door. So I rushed to get there and there she was coming down the stairs with the most beautiful expression I’ve ever seen. The expression of love. And she was looking at me.
“There you are!” she said and came and grabbed into her arms. She started petting me. Then she found the sticky thing that was clutching to my fur. So she flipped my over and started pulling gently.
“Who in their right mind would stick a gum on a cat? Jeez!”
I hurt a bit but it was soon over and I no longer had the…gum… on my tummy. I was happy. Then all of a sudden, the ground started shaking and I saw a huge dog running towards us.
“Lucky, she said, this is our new friend… hmm… I think I’ll name him Fluffy. Because of his fur.”
Fluffy… I like that. But the dog was staring at me with a fierce look. I was… well not afraid of course, but… ok, maybe I was a bit afraid. But he was so big. Out of the blue I found myself being licked by the horrid creature. He was looking at me with an amused and friendly face. And then I knew we would be friends. Not to mention that he was a good place to sleep on.
I started scratching. Those darn flees were getting the life out of me. She noticed and went to get some weird looking thing that had a cat drawn on it. I looked at it and hit it with my right paw. She put me down and pressed on the tip and some foul smell came out of it, hitting my back.
Ugh… I take the flees over that foul smell. So I tried to run away, but she held me and pressed again. Another, even fouler smell followed. I started hissing and tried to attack the ugly looking “spray” like she called it. With no success as she was holding me too tight. She rubbed my fur for a while. The itching disappeared almost instantly, but the smell didn’t. It took a few days to get it out of my fur. In the meantime I befriended the dog named Lucky and declared war, alongside my new friend to the foul chickens.

A new life.

Playing with a big dog means you get dirty. And I mean dirty. Whenever we chased each other meant more dirt sticking to me. Each time we pluck some chicken feathers we got more dirt from the wriggling and twisting on the ground in order to get a good grasp at them. I had gotten so dirty, that my morning wash wasn’t doing its job.

Then, in a morning, we saw the girl coming out with a bottle of something (I had learned many new words from my friend Lucky – he was 7 human years older than me, thus more experienced), and said something that sounded like a bath, whatever that was. My friend looked at me amused and before I had the chance to ask him, she took me in her arms.

“Don’t be afraid Fluff, I will keep is short.”

She took me to something that look like a big pot filled with water. And then it occurred to me. She would drown me!!! Any water volume that was too big to drink at once, was trouble. There was no way I was getting there. So I tried to get away, shouting at her in my attempt to make a stand. I looked around to find something that will help me, but we were already in a chamber with a closed door. The window was shut so I knew there was no way out.

She seemed to notice my fuss so she placed me on the floor. It was cool and slippery to the touch.

“Ok, maybe I won’t place you in water.”

She then let the water drain. I heard the noise and climbed the small wall of the pot looking fascinated as the water disappeared forming a small vortex (I liked that word). So maybe she wasn’t trying to drown me after all. I felt relief wash over me. She took me up and placed me into the pot. There was no more water there. I did not understand what she was doing. She then poured some white gooey stuff into her hand and gently started scratching me. It had a rather weird smell. Not very unpleasant… but weird. I tried to sniff it and taste it, but she would not let me. I didn’t understand why. After a thorough scratching she took another weird looking device and from it poured water. It was like a heavy rain, only warmer, but equally uncomfortable.

I tried to get out of the pot, but I could not as it was slippery and she was holding me. It all took a few minutes while she was avoiding my head and only placing the water on my back. I saw dirt and fur pour off of me and then it hit me. This was a bath. I had to remember that smell in order to avoid it always.

I tried to leap out again, but I failed as she was still holding.

“Stand still please, I’m almost done. The worst has passed already.”

Was she crazy? How could I possibly stay there under that blasted rain? I could not. I would not, so I hissed as loud as I could. She looked surprised. Upset. Well so was I. But I was starting to feel sorry for doing that. So I sat quietly as the water was pouring down on me. And then it was done. I was a bit cold, so she wrapped me in a thick cloth and started to rub it gently against my wet fur.

But it was not the end of it. She then took another device which blew wind. Wind, of all things! Warm wind which again blew over my fur! The inventions these humans have… Except for the loud thunder sound it made, it was rather pleasant. A few minutes after and my fur was shining again, and I smelled funny. I figured it was nothing a little time spent with my playmate couldn’t solve.

Although both me and her atoned for our faults against each other (me by purring and she gave me some delicious meat), the “bath” was not something I would like to do again.

And so another day has passed…

Another day in Fluffy's life. And his first encounter with bath. After I was done with it, I was not sure who had taken the bath: he, or I :)