Aveyond Studios Community
SilverDragon

Procrastination

Do any of you guys feel like you procrastinate too much, and can't get any work done on time? I think I am a hard worker (once I actually start working) and a good student, but when I get my hands on the Internet or the TV, I just can't seem to let go and do any useful work. Unless there is some sort of pressure on me like a major exam the very next day, but by then it is obviously too late to complete all the syllabus I need to study. Any solutions? 

Get a study partner, if you can. Probably be best if it's not a very close friend, because there's a higher chance of procrastination if the friendship is close, I think. There's a sort of social pressure to study when with a study partner, if both are committed to their studies. Make a schedule, no more than 45 minutes without a 5-minute break. After a couple of hours you ought to have a longer break. Remember to eat and drink. Make the studying as comfortable as possible. Those things help in the future, you're less likely to procrastinate if studying is more comfortable rather than less. These things have worked for me in the past, the study partner most of all.

Set time to study - usually first thing in the morning before you get too tired - away from interuptions and no more than 1 hour - have drinks and food but not carbonated drinks - water is the best- a study partner seems to be the way with young people these days ( not in my day) and study the least favourite subject first-do not be too hard on yourself - you will not achieve anything if you are under stress- good luck

Unfortunately, none of my friends live nearby my house. The children who do live nearby are too young or too careless. Also 1-2 hour study sessions won't do. At least 5 hours a day if I want to get marks anywhere near my teachers' expectations (I do respond well during class, but my marks in tests aren't that great ). I've tried to study while putting on some music. I once completed 185 Integration problems in one sitting while listening to linkin park in about 6 hours, but it never happens again. I get distracted too easily. :\

Okay, gotta go study now, lol

Evn I do tht bt only whn m doing math. I studied frm 3pm-10pm whn I was in 6-8 grades. I evn studied 4 10hrs without break jst 2 watch a tv show! Bt nw I jst can't. I hav 2 take a 5min break. 5hrs at a strech would b too much, silver. It is necessary 2 take a break. U'll see whn working without break ur mind won't function tht well whn it did at the start. U'll evn get distracted. The mind needs rest. If u rest evn 4 2mins u'll u got a good speed. N dnt forget 2 take a healthy diet ;)

Okay, first of all, lower your expectations! If you think you have to study for five hours without breaks, you'll never do it. Take 30 minutes for studying at a time. There's this tomato-technique developed by an Italian person, I'll get you a link when I get home, or you could google tomato studying. That might help.

Edit: here's a link http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

I totally agree with the pomodoro study method- I have used that technique when giving seminars- the brain seems to only absorb info in the first 30 odd minutes so trying to study for longer periods without a break will not achieve much- also you stated that you do well in class but not so well in tests- do you get stressed when doing the tests ( eg teacher's expectations, fear of failure  etc)- if this is the case- maybe you might have to learn calming excerises to lower stress levels before the tests - I hope that this will help a bit

I suggest you get up and move around. That way your brain and your muscles get the oxygen they need. If you can go outside for a bit, that's ideal.

I think reading might be something that requires concentration and on your breaks it might be best not to do something that requires concentration. It's more about letting your brain rest for that time.

If you pay for it, eg. exam / course work, you would less likely procrascinate. :P

It seems to me that you already know your weakness to the internet / tv. So I suggest no internet / tv? If you think you get easily distracted by background music... the radio / MP3 might have to go too.

Back when I was seriously studying, and if I was back at home, I would inform my family so that there would be minimal interferance. Not sure bout your style but I prefered a quiet environment, either at home or at my hostel. The library may not be always quiet or calm: people walking, whispering, clickings on keyboards, sounds of flipping pages, chairs being dragged across the floor... these are all distraction to me.

Maybe, at the end of the week, reward yourself with something, something that does not require too much time or energy, a movie for example. Try to avoid TV series, you might get addicted to it. Or comic. Or manga. Or games... especially RPGs (big uh-oh! levelling / looting / exploring and goodness-that-amazing-plot-twist-I-just-couldn't-resist lol).

Just my two cents. I see there are already a few good suggestions up here. It is up to you to find a study method most suitable to youself. I wish you good luck. :)

When I was in university I would head to a different area (library, breakout room, caf) to study so that I'd be unplugged and unable to procrastinate.  Of course that was in the days before wireless and smartphones. 

To add to Bemused's comments starting a book series during exams isn't all that smart either.  My second year midterms didn't thank me for starting Harry Potter at the beginning of them.  ;)

I was once recommended to manage my time (between being productive and the proscratination break time) using this android application Pomodoro ClearFocus.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=personal.andreabasso.clearfocus&hl=en>

I tried it out, and it actually help. Probably you should try it too.

Happy working and procrastinating!  :lol: