Aveyond Studios Community
Demi

Hobbies

I went looking, and couldn't find a thread like this (unless it's been buried somewhere), so thought I'd start one.

Since this forum is built around Aveyond (and similar games), it's a good bet that computer games are something we all have in common, but what other hobbies do you have?

As my signature states, I am a voracious bookworm. Hardly a day goes by when I'm not engrossed in a book of some sort. I have a huge collection of paper books and also a large number of e-books. To be honest, I don't really care which format I read on, as long as I'm reading. :) Primarily, I read historical fiction and fantasy, although I'll read anything other than horror, true crime, or westerns. 

I also love to knit, something I've done since I was five or six, and am always on the lookout for pretty yarn to add to my stash. My favorite thing to knit are socks, but I also make hats and mittens, sweaters, toys, shawls, and the obligatory scarf.

My other fabric hobby is counted cross-stitch. I picked that up as a pre-teen and have done a lot of fun projects. I'm just about to start on a portrait of my cat Blaze, whom I said good-bye to a year ago. I took my favorite picture of him and had a chart made of it. It'll take some time to do, but will be a lovely framed picture to hang in my home when it's done.

As a smaller project, I've fallen in love with biscornu, which are little cushion-like items. They are stitched on both sides, sewn together with the corners off-set (one set like a square, the other like a diamond), and a button on each side pulls the middle in like a doughnut. They can be simple or elaborate, and are usually a good way to use up some extra fabric and thread. Don't ask me what they are used for; I keep mine as simple decorations, but I suppose you could make some as pin cushions, if you wanted.

I have a fledgling collection of comics. Most of them are ones I read as a little girl. If I had only kept them instead of throwing them away when I got tired of them....  I also have some books of paper dolls, mainly going back to the subjects I enjoy reading about - historical figures/costumes, a couple of steampunk dolls, and a book of Raggedy Ann dolls because she was my favorite thing when I was a little girl. I still have my copy of Raggedy Ann Stories, and have added to it with other books written by Johnny Gruelle.

I like to write, probably stemming from my love of reading. I've written a book aimed at the 9-12 range and currently have a set of fractured fairy tales that I am in the process of revamping and cleaning up. My mother, who went to art school, said she'll do some simple illustrations for me, which I'm thrilled about. We'll see what happens with it.

I enjoy singing, and did quite a bit of it in college, but now mainly sing along with the radio/CD in the car. 

What keeps me busiest are my two kitties. After losing Blaze (he was almost 18-1/2 and had begun having seizures), my mother dragged me to a shelter "just to look and see what was available" for when I felt I was ready to bring new kittens into my life. There were two babies - just 8 weeks old - who were simply adorable. Both girls, one was all black and the other was a tuxedo. Realizing that they were dealing with a sucker, they turned on all the charm they possessed, and I ended up taking them home that day. Raven and Maggie (short for Magpie, because she's such a talker) are about a year and a half old now, and I love them dearly. They are incredibly spoiled, as Blaze was before them, and have me wrapped around their paws. I wouldn't have it any other way.  :wub:

So, now that I've written so much, how about the rest of you?

Well I like drawing. I draw by hand. Most of thm r childish (coz I think m still a child) like volcano, ice mountains, houses, villages. I'm nw drawing avatars n dolls. Bt I'm kinda out of water colors so m gonna draw mre aftr buying thm! I listen 2 songs whn I'm upset, bord, hav nothing 2 do. I also watch tv n movies whn I get time. I luv reading books. Fantasy, comedy, tragedy, mystery, adventure, sci-fi, reality etc. Whn I start reading a book I can't let go it until I finish it.

My hobbies are kinda on & off. Currently I'm in wintermode and prefer sleeping, lurking on forums, reading blogs and books. I also like to sew, take pretty pictures of my kids (still no good at that) and my ongoing hobby would be music. I still play the French horn, never practice, but love playing in the band (mainly for meeting the other members and drinking coffee, but still, I enjoy playing too).

I haven't got that many hobbies. I used go to a first aid group as a hobby, but nowadays I'm just too tired with work. I still volunteer with the Red Cross, at a youth shelter, I'm involved in an art group there. We do all kinds of art every Sunday (but there are three of us adults, so I'm not there every Sunday). I'm super excited about that, because our kids are so talented and I get to do art myself as well.

Apart from that, I sew. I just bought a crazy expensive sewing machine, which I adore at the moment. I sew many of my own clothes and do patchwork. 

I used to love reading, but for about a year and half I haven't been able to concentrate enough to actually read a book.

Mae! <3 You're back again too! :D

Jealous at your clothes-sewing skills, everything I start to sew for me ends on the "will finish sometime" pile... Somehow it just never turns out as I imagined, kid's clothes & accessories are easier in a way...

I wish I was better at sewing. I'm fine at simple things and mending clothes, but when it comes to making wearable items, I'm completely at sea.

I think anyone who crafts has a generous UFO pile. :D I know I do. I also have what I call 'The Frogpond'. That's for items I've made but want to take apart and reuse the yarn (it's mainly knitting stuff) for something else. It's a clever way to hide more stash. ;)

@ Demi: Lol, let's just throw it on that... 

As for sewing, fixing stuff can be necessary but that isn't the type of sewing that I'd call to be my "hobby"... That's the OTHER ufo pile of stuff to fix. I hate fixing, rather make something froms scratch...

@ Mae: I lack skills too, many, but I understand patterns and can put those together. Sorta. I wish I'd be better at making my own patterns and make sure they fit. For me, for my stick-boys it's way easier...

I really should find a sewing machine fixer, my machine could use some love... It's not listening to me at the moment, maybe she's getting old. D:

...fixing stuff can be necessary but that isn't the type of sewing that I'd call to be my "hobby"... That's the OTHER ufo pile of stuff to fix. I hate fixing, rather make something from scratch...

You're right, there. And no one should make it to the age of 18 without at least learning how to tack a hem, fix a pulled seam, or sew a button back on. That was my parents' attitude, at least, and I thank my stars for their insistence. But the making from scratch is more fun. I have a darning egg my father made for me, and I have become pretty good at darning the socks I've made, but it isn't anywhere near as much fun as seeing a new pair come off the needles.

I really should find a sewing machine fixer, my machine could use some love... It's not listening to me at the moment, maybe she's getting old. D:

I hope you find someone to take a look at your sewing machine. I have a friend who enjoys using one, and I've seen how expensive they can be! For that price, they should cut, baste, sew, and press the fabric for you!!

I actually avoid fixing stuff. I love sewing my clothes from the beginning, but I don't like repairing at all. Actually, if it's possible, I save the clothes that need repairs to when I visit my mum (about three times a year). She's happy to do them, at least that's what I tell myself. :D

One thing I would like to learn is how to spin. I have a drop spindle, which I've tried playing around with, and I was given two wheels - a small Kromski Prelude and a larger Ashford Elizabeth.

My Prelude is lighter in color, because it was unfinished and I went over it with linseed oil. My Elizabeth (they don't make it anymore; they've come out with an Elizabeth 2) is about the shade of that photo. I haven't set her up yet, because I'm remodeling the room she'll go in. I can't wait to see how she looks all put together.

I sew too. :D ... nothing fancy since I don't have a sewing machine: masks, some simple embroidery, etc. There was a time I hand sewn a han-fu, a traditional oriental clothing. I thought that, since I can't find it anywhere I might as well make a set myself. Well, I managed just the shirt part before I got impatient. haha...

I love reading, both fiction and non-fiction. Call me old fashion but I prefer reading from paperback. There is nothing like holding a book and feeling and smelling the musty, yellowing pages. I enjoy a wide range of genre. But if I must pick up my most favorite, then it would be mystery/horror. Brian Lumley's Necroscope series has a lovely mix of fantasy, horror, sci fi, romance, and adventure. What about non fiction? The back of shampoo bottles. Joking. Joking.

I write stories too but... Rather then dropping a story halfway and leave the readers hanging in anticipation it's better not to start writing at all. I think. Lazy me. ._.

The piano. Nowadays I only play for fun...

Games!! RPGs!! (the reason I found this site so many years ago). Ever since my laptop decided to display that blue screen of death months ago I am basically stuck with PS games, for now. Speaking of which... it's kinda lonely when you make a reference from a game while at work but on one seems to get it. :'(

Games!! RPGs!! (the reason I found this site so many years ago). Ever since my laptop decided to display that blue screen of death months ago I am basically stuck with PS games, for now. Speaking of which... it's kinda lonely when you make a reference from a game while at work but on one seems to get it. :'(

I'm a Nintendo girl, but I get your drift. And none of my friends really play any games, let alone the ones I enjoy. Come to think of it, they don't really like the same books or movies, either.

*sigh*

It's so tough to be before your time, isn't it? ;)

Dnt worry abt tht. U r wht u r. Ur different bt tht doesn't mean thr's smething wrong wth u. It happens wth me also. My friends doesn't play games tht much thn I do bt still I like n thts it. So u shouldn't take it 2 heart

Oh, I don't really mind. Sometimes it's frustrating not to have anyone to talk about a book I just finished, but that's okay. And I recently got my cousin hooked on my favorite DS/3DS game series - Professor Layton, so I can chat with her about that. :)