Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Demi

Reading (genre)

There's a thread already about books, but that's more about what format you prefer to read. I was wondering what types of stories you like to read, instead. So, list out your favorite genre, titles, authors, etc., and let's see what unfolds. Some of us might find new books we might otherwise have passed by.

I will read almost anything, if it's set in front of me, but I have a few that I enjoy more than others and some that are definitely on my "nope, not gonna buy" list. Since the latter is shorter, I'll start with that. Horror, true crime, lots of violence, and westerns. Spooky is okay, but I really have a strong aversion to violence. In fact, it's a huge reason why my television rarely gets turned on. 

Now on to what I enjoy. :)

The bulk of my bookshelves and Kindle folders are made up of historical fiction and light fantasy. I think both of those are pretty broad terms, so I guess I should give a few examples.

For historical-fiction:

The Memoirs of Cleopatra and The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by his Fool, Will Somers, both by Margaret George

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees

Katherine by Anya Seton

The Keepers of the Ring series by Angela Elwell Hunt

There are a lot more, but those are the ones that have jumped to mind. Royal-related reads are always fun, and my favorite English dynasty are the Plantagenets. I'm not a huge fan of the Tudors, except for Henry VIII, who reminds me of his grandfather, Edward IV. And no, I don't believe that Richard III killed his nephews, but that's a discussion for a different time. :P

As far as fantasy goes, that's also a very broad term. I grew up on Lewis Carroll, C.S. Lewis, and Tolkien, so naturally they have to go on the list. All of them are still favorites I like to go back and re-read. Jack L. Chalker's Dancing Gods series was a favorite of mine in high school. Again, it's one that's fun to go back and re-read every now and again.

As far as more modern books, I absolutely adore Debora Geary's A Modern Witch and Witch Central books. I'm sad that they are over, but I'm sure something else will come along. I've also become hooked on Heather Blake's Wishcraft Mystery books. They are fun, have a mystery to solve, and a little romance (without being too in-your-face). Add in that they are set in Salem, MA (which is not too far from me), and it makes for fun, light reading.

Sue Ann Jaffarian has another fun mystery series that crosses over to fantasy - Granny Apples Mysteries. This time, one of the characters (Granny) is a ghost who helps solve mysteries. It sounds silly and hokey, but they are pretty good.

I've recently discovered steampunk, getting my start with the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. I'm enjoying her Finishing School series and looking forward to the Custard Protocol series, as well.

Non-fiction can also be fun, whether it's to learn a new craft/skill or to help flesh out background in some of the historical fiction I read. I've read some good books about Native American life (my family is part Iriquois), Western Europe (that's where the rest of the gang hails), the Borgias (because they are one of the most interesting, dysfunctional families in history, IMO), and one written by Prince Charles a few years back about environment renewal/sustainability. A little technical maybe, but very interesting.

Of course, there is some guilty pleasure reading, too. Linda Wisdom's Hex series, the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig, and a few others.

I'm sure I'll remember other favorites in time, but I'd love to hear what you enjoy.

Whoa tht a lot. I luv books. I read many sci-fis, comedies, tragedies, novels of my own language. Md Jafar Iqbal is one my fav writers. A book of his is also in english- 'Faded Snow'. I've also read books in eng. Brum Stroker is also a fav. I've read his books- 'Dracula' series, The Jewel of The Seven Stars, The Lair of the White Worm'. They r adventures. I've also read 'The Robots of Dawn' by Isaac Asimov. Gonna read 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown, 'Doctor Sleep' by Stephen King aftr my xm

Another of my favorite authors is Gregory Maguire. I read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West when it was first released and went looking for others he's written. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is brilliant, Mirror, Mirror is a great premise (Lucrezia Borgia as the evil step-mother? Brilliant!), but got a little confusing here and there. Lost totally creeped me out and I ended up giving my copy away to a friend.

Andrew M. Greeley wrote some fun stuff, especially his Bishop Blackie books. In fact, I think Blackie and Cardinal Sean are two of my favorite literary characters.

I've read Piers Anthony since I was in high school, and enjoy his Xanth series, especially the earlier books. My favorite he's written is the Geodessey series, though. There are five books in the series, and it is really interesting.

(can you tell I've been thinking more about this since creating the thread yesterday?  :D

I didn't know 70% of the writers mentioned above. :P

I used to love horror fictions. Here are some books with their authors that I remember: Stephen King's It (yikes!), Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (romantic horror... is there such a thing?), Brian Lumley's Necroscope Series and his many other short stories such as in the Coven of Vampires, HP Lovecraft's... people called Lovecraft's short stories as 'weird' stories, instead of horror stories (I still prefer reading them during the day for good reason).

Fantasy: JRR Tolkein (don't think I need to mention his works xD), Garth Nix's Abhorson series, Terry Pratchett' Disc World series.

Mysteries: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle' Sherlock Holmes series, Ian Rankin's Detective Inspector John Rebus series.

And many more...

And the ones that I can't run away from? School text books. =.=

I didn't know 70% of the writers mentioned above. :P

Haha. I don't usually read from the Best Seller's List, so yeah, some of my favorites are a little less well-known. Or older books that have fallen off the radar.  :)

I love Anne Rice's vamps; I've named all three of my Kindles after her characters.

Disc World is amazing! I recently recruited my nephew to the Dark Side by buying him The Colour of Magic. I haven't read them in a while, so I might have to go back and revisit. I'm still trying to decide if my favorite character is Death, Carrot, or the Luggage. ;)

Sorry Black Princess just re-checked this now!  It's mmmmm modern fantasy maybe?  Harry Dresden is a wizard of the streets of Chicago...his adventures are set in the real world but include fantasy creatures such as vampires and the fae.