Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Specter

Is the Avatar limit too harsh?

The site currently limits the avatar to 50kb. I think that this is too harsh a limitation. 200 KB should be fine, cause that'd allow much better resolution avatars.

Sent from my Aqua HD using Aveyond Kingdom

It'd not be much of an effort to increase the limit... It'd be good to be able to upload at least 512x512 avatars.

13435 members x 50kb per avatar = 617750kb of avatars, about .62gb

13435 members x 200kb per avatar = 2687000kb of avatars, about 2.69gb

That's a lot of avatar information to store! XD

13435 members x 50kb per avatar = 617750kb of avatars, about .62gb

13435 members x 200kb per avatar = 2687000kb of avatars, about 2.69gb

That's a lot of avatar information to store! XD

I had already done this calculation, but you are forgetting that more that 50% of these members have no avatar, and many more are inactive. The limit increase would create a gigabyte or two of data at most. Anyway, 62 GB is not much for a server!

Did it used to be 100kb? Shows how exciting my avatars have always been, lol.

I just found that most of the other sites have 200KB limit. It sounds reasonable as my avvie fits in full good quality

I propose a limit on signature sizes. Even though it may mean that I probably won't get to use my current one anymore. Sometimes I get lost between posts and signatures.

I think the avatar size is just fine for now.

Hmmm... But when you resize your avatar, the resolution considerably drops, and so does the quality of the picture, which is really painful for me

The colors, technically, shouldn't change. I guess your compressor is faulty

The issue is with our forum software... the current version imposes these limits and oddly, doesn't support editing them.

A new version is in the works, and we will update when it is out of beta... 'till then, I guess we all practice our photoshop skills. :(

I am a bit bothered by this rule too; the limit is very small and I also had to resize the image a lot and am not completely happy with it. And I agree that it would be more useful to have a limit for signature sizes, as they're cosiderably larger, and maybe a little bigger limit for the avatars.

The avatar limit is workable, I think. Especially if a new system is already in the works. But I'm all for having a limit on the signature sizes, or at least a guideline. There used to be one, on the old site, didn't there? Because there are some huge signatures floating around lately XD

Tei, what I do is I hide all the huge signatures permanently so that I'm not bothered by them in the future XD

As for the Avvies, I think 512x512 is way too excessive (I mean, even the old siggie limits were 440x135, and that's externally hosted pics!). Even back on the old site we were 100x100, and I think that's more than adequate. Increasing it back to 100kb should be enough, if the site bandwidth can withstand it.

Also: siggie pics aren't hosted on this site so it doesn't take away storage space or loading bandwidths unlike avvies.

Erm... I have no problem even if there is an option to have avatar pics hosted elsewhere like signature pics if that's possible. All I need is a bigger limit...

Allowing only advanced members (i.e. members who have met a certain post requirement) to have larger avvies may be another way to solve the unhappiness. This allows only active users to be able to use larger avvies(at least than their current ones), and saves storage space. Personally, I like my small avvie though, because chibi avvie=cute. In any case, it's just another way to distinguish yourself  in the forums.