Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aveyond06

The Rpg Maker XP vs VX thread...

System should be VX and Ace. XP has Icons folder. To import yout icons, though, you have to go to resources (f11?) and click on import. Select icon folder before importing. First you select the right folder where to import the file, then you click on import and select the file from your pc (don't need to be in rtp). It will appear on the right side with a red dot instead of blue (that's for rtps).

Thank you very much, i managed to do it, but i have a new problem. I used an icon set from internet and now, when i want to select a new graphic for something i got a whole set with a lot of icons together and i cant select just one. Should i use them in another format to separate them or what?

The set is for Ace or VX, probably that's why you found the istruction with the System folder. You have to crop the icon with an image editor program like Gimp or Photoshop and save it separately. If you see the RTP folder every icon is a single file.

Remember that if you are using VX and ACE rtp icons you have to own the program to have the right to use them. And to ask the permission if they are not, maybe the author doesn't want them to be used on XP or something :D

I prefer rpg2k3 over both of those. :P

Mostly because I am quite familiar with rpg2k3 having spent a large amount of time working through AP's custom system. AP v1 was a breeze compared to APv2. I don't make games and haven't had any need to mess with xp/vx.

With that said, I've played some truly awesome games from rpg2k, rpg2k3, xp, vx, Wolf RPG editor, etc.

It's less which game maker you use and more if you have a good storyline, characterization, music, etc. that makes a good game.

I started with vx and loved itttttttttttttttttttttt...wow...i was mesmerized.The only problem i found in it was the lack of tilesets it had. Then i started using xp and i love it toooooooo.... And also if you stay tunned, you can get lots of stuff by almost nothing.The rpg maker vx ace was 19.99 this x-mas on steam...i wasn´t fast enough and didnt bought it, but maybe in easter, they make this thingys again. :lol:

So, to set my mind right i have to say rpg maker vx has amazing music...but not many tilesets.And rpg maker xp has lots of tilesets, but the music kind of gets old in a while...But they are both amazing and i think that each one has its own magic, and whom ever wants to try either one, will have lots of funnnnn for sure! :wub:

Omg I lost track of the conversation, what were we talking about???

It was about how we liked rpg vx or xp better^^a Like...if rpg maker xp was in a ring and vx came to defy it, who would be knocked out...if any! :wacko: Maybe they would fight forever...while we eat pop corns...and nachos! :wub:

Just noticed that rather huge price difference between RPG Maker VX Ace and RPG Maker XP. Was actually considering buying VX Ace since the tilesets look rather cute but I think I'll just stick to XP for now *much sad* Is there a specific reason why VX Ace costs so much?

Just noticed that rather huge price difference between RPG Maker VX Ace and RPG Maker XP. Was actually considering buying VX Ace since the tilesets look rather cute but I think I'll just stick to XP for now *much sad* Is there a specific reason why VX Ace costs so much?

Because it's relatively newer, I suspect.

Ace is far more powerful, but I hate the squashed character pics and such. Besides, I like XP better as it is much lighter on my old PC

Sent from my Aqua HD using Aveyond Kingdom

Yup as Shade says Ace is the newest. It's btw more cheaper than it was when it came out.

If you really want to purchase Ace, just wait around until there's a sale. I've bought one through Humble Bundle lst year, when Ace was literally a dollar. A few weeks ago, Ace was minus 75% sale, so yeah. Keep your eyes peeled.

(I should mention that the above sales Always got you the Steam version of Ace, not the standalone in case that's what you want. If you prefer standalone, keep your eyes on RMW. They have sales as well (though not as often) and they have contests/giveaways.)

I've bought one through Humble Bundle lst year, when Ace was literally a dollar. A few weeks ago, Ace was minus 75% sale, so yeah.

*Sigh!*

I spent 70 bucks on it. I could have had it for a dollar if I'd just waited. I need to go check in the mirror if I have the word "sucker" written on my forehead.

Yup as Shade says Ace is the newest. It's btw more cheaper than it was when it came out.

If you really want to purchase Ace, just wait around until there's a sale. I've bought one through Humble Bundle lst year, when Ace was literally a dollar. A few weeks ago, Ace was minus 75% sale, so yeah. Keep your eyes peeled.

(I should mention that the above sales Always got you the Steam version of Ace, not the standalone in case that's what you want. If you prefer standalone, keep your eyes on RMW. They have sales as well (though not as often) and they have contests/giveaways.)

After giving it some thoughts, I decided I preferred XP more :lol:  True, there's way less flexibility and features provided but it appeals more to me now. The ONLY problem is, I love the tilesets that you can use in VX. Been trying for two days to somehow be able to use them on XP too, but in vain. My heart wants to wail.

*Sigh!*

I spent 70 bucks on it. I could have had it for a dollar if I'd just waited. I need to go check in the mirror if I have the word "sucker" written on my forehead.

Don't be so hard on yourself :lol:

After giving it some thoughts, I decided I preferred XP more :lol:  True, there's way less flexibility and features provided but it appeals more to me now. The ONLY problem is, I love the tilesets that you can use in VX. Been trying for two days to somehow be able to use them on XP too, but in vain. My heart wants to wail.

The tilesets - simply export them and edit them so they fit into a XP tileset - this won't work for auto tiles so easily. With auto tiles you'll have to do edits so they fit with the XP autotiles.

The tilesets - simply export them and edit them so they fit into a XP tileset - this won't work for auto tiles so easily. With auto tiles you'll have to do edits so they fit with the XP autotiles.

Editing is not as easy as it sounds. I've been at it for 3 days and so far, I've had to toss aside tons of test maps. One of the reasons for this is : shadows. A lot of VX tiles use shadows (beds, cupboards, plants etc) that don't mesh well with the background and I cannot erase them properly enough either.

How are you approaching editing? What program are you using? If you're doing it in paint that's obviously going to cause a big problem, however if you do it in photoshop or gimp it should be an easy fix in minutes.