Aveyond Studios Community
Tei

[XP] Need Some Scripts--Party Switch, Character Bio, Journal

All right, I have a bee in my bonnet and I want to try out a couple of things in RMXP to see if they work. I know RMXP will soon be considered outdated (if it isn't already) but I'm extremely fond of it. (Things Tei learned in college: Thou shalt always justify thine fondness for RPG Maker, lest thou be walked all over and laughed out of the room.)

In any case! I'm looking for a Party Switch/Leader script (a la Aveyond), a Journal script (also a la Aveyond) and a Character Biography script that either adds a picture of and a blurb about the character to the Status screen, or adds a separate entry to the main menu. Similar to what you'd find in Tales of Symphonia, if you will. 

I have found all of these things...but the Party Switch script I found (Dargor's Party Switcher) doesn't play nicely with the the Biography script I found (BigAce's Character Biography) and I haven't even tried with Amanda's Journal script. All three Both would modify the main menu, and things get bungled up there.

I've been poking around all afternoon--anyone know if such a trio of things is out there? I found another couple of Bio scripts on the HBGames forum, but both contained characters that appear to not have been English, and I'm not sure if they work...? Like Enyo's, which was apparently originally Russian, and a revision of Claimh's, which I can't seem to make work (it says press the decision key to view the bios, but neither Enter nor Space did anything.) L's Custom Menu Scenes has a Status window like I want (so I could theoretically skip the Bio window altogether), but it requires the SDK and I'm not sure if Amanda's journal script is SDK-compatible. ...or where to find the SDK.

MoonPearl's Custom Menu Script is beautiful and has a Bio and Party Switch built in, but commercial use is restricted. I'd like the scripts to be available for commercial use, because there's a chance that this project I'm noodling with could actually turn into something.

Is anyone out there a scripter who can help me find a combination that doesn't have conflicts, or instruct me (use very small words, please XD) in how to make these three functions play nicely? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: All right, so now I have ForeverZero's Bio script and Amanda's Journal script playing nicely, I just need a party switch script. Man, sometimes I wish I had a programmer's brain XD

All right, Forever Zero's script is nice, I can use that. Thank you!

However, the change leader common event thing--while snazzy-is not what I'm looking for. I want to be able to change the party at will. Forever Zero's script plays nicely with Dragor's, because there's no modification to the menu, but it does not play nicely with Amanda's journal. Because both modify the menu.

So I'm looking for either another party change script (that will let you change your party from the menu whenever) that works with the Super Simple Journal Script, or I need a way to make them play nicely together. Logically, I know it can be done, I just don't know what to change where to make it so.

EDIT: all right, it seems I am doomed to script conflicts.

Amanda's Super Simple Journal Script does not play nicely with ForeverZero's journal/profile script. They must modify the same thing, somehow. I've tried putting Super Simple Journal before ForeverZero's journal/profile and vice-versa--one results in the "Journal" option on the menu bringing up Journal, AND the profile command bringing up  Journal, and the other results in both bringing up the journal/profile.

I did not expect this to be so difficult XD Anyone know how I can fix it? I really like both scripts.

Egh, I'll have to go looking for Amanda's script to test it out. It's been so long since I touched RPG Maker engines.

ETA: I found the issue. This is because BOTH Forever Zero and Amanda's script call their feature "Journal". That's why the commands are overlapping. Since Amanda's one consist of multiple scripts working together, it's probably better to fiddle with Zero's script. Let me double check to see what parts need to be edited.

ETA2: Go run a word search for "Journal" in Zero's script, and replace them all with... well, you could name it anything you want, really. I don't remember what the label names for the default RMXP functions are, so pick something that is not likely to clash with any of the built-in stuff. Maybe something like "Bio" or "roster" or whatever. It should work.

Or you can just use other scripts.

There's this total menu overhaul script/system thingy: http://www.gdunlimited.net/scripts/rpg-maker-xp/window-scripts/prussian-interface-engine-p-i-e

Moonpearl's menu supposedly works with most other scripts, if you don't mind the fancy sparkles and whatnot: http://www.gdunlimited.net/scripts/rpg-maker-xp/custom-menu-scripts/moonpearl-s-animated-custom-menu-system

It already has the Bio and what looks like a party-changer sections built in.

A stand-alone party-changer script: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/37100-party-changer-menu/

Dunno how well it works.

Whoops, sorry, I should've tracked down a link to it in the first place. Doing that now.

Changing "Journal" to "Bio" did work, thank you! I figured it would be something that simple, but I was afraid to try without confirmation lol ^^;

I did look at Moonpearl's Custom Menu, but it's non-commercial only and I'd rather stick to scripts that are free for commercial use. Just in case something comes of the thing I'm noodling with. But it was pretty, I did think about it, and that Party script looks like what I'm aiming at.

The P.I.E. menu looks cool, but it too is non-commercial and still isn't the party changer I need.

BlackMage's (the last one you linked) is actually the first one I tried, but you can't switch your party from the menu, which is what I'm trying to do. So either I'll poke at it at a later date (because, again, it's something I'm noodling with) or just make it so the party can only be changed at certain points in the game. Which would not be nearly as cool, but meh. Or I'll attach the script call to a common event and add a party-switching item. We'll see. Or I'll keep looking, haha....ha...OTL

Mind if I see your project?

See, I tried this myself and Amanda's script kept on giving me "Syntax Error" for some reason, so I might as well just look at what you already have and see what I can do to add the Party Switch into your project.

wahahaha it's just a heap of test scripts, at the moment XD But if you want to poke around with it, sure. I'll email it to you. If I can get my blasted "compose" button working, which I haven't been able to do in......months ^^;

Oh, well, okay LOL. Adding BlackMage's party switcher function to the menu is simpky done by editing the scene_menu. But if you did anything to AManda's Scene_menu_mods script, then you might need to do the stuff on THAT one instead.

I wanted to see yours because for whatever reason both the Journal and Bio scripts don't want to work for me and gives me syntax error. I don't know enough programming to identify the issue here :(

If you can show me how to add BlackMage's to the menu, you'll be my hero XD

All right, I sent you the test project. My yahoo mail is still broken, so it's from my gmail.

Gotcha! Okay, so just follow the steps in Amada's Scene_Menu_Mods instead of the Scene_Menu that I did in the example.

Warning: You might end up needing to get rid of the Steps or Play Time window if you don't know how to rearrange the placement of the texts, because adding too many new entries into the menu would screw up the windows' look.

tumblr_nwx4h3AMLM1sckaego1_540.jpg

tumblr_nwx4h3AMLM1sckaego3_540.jpg

I'd be more than happy to ditch the Steps window, I have NO need for it XD

BUT AHH THANK YOU. I was hoping it would be something like this. Resizing arrays and modifying switch statements I can do, I learned that much XD

I'll try this out later and shout/wave my arms/etc if something breaks XD Thanks so much!