Aveyond Studios Community
ShadetheMystic

A Question on Setting.

I'm just wondering, when it comes to JRPGs in general, and RM games in particular, what kind of setting do you prefer? Is there a call for futuristic worlds, or modern settings, or should it only be Final Fantasy-type worlds? What does everyone here think?

I'd go with either final fantasy type worlds or rarely modern settings cuz it makes you wonder whether your world was like the games in the past.

Futuristic worlds are too much because it makes the game less interesting and it might (just saying) implant things into peoples minds such as: what if our world WILL be like this in the future

I like the old eras because of all the adventures by horse, boat, foot etc which makes the game look really adventurous. In the future we have cars, machines etc to help us in... well anything

If the story is done well and the setting is well-developed, any setting can be successful--it all depends on you, and what you need from it.

Personally, I don't care for futuristic, sci-fi settings. I don't care for dystopian settings. But I would sooner play a cheery, futuristic RPG than a fantasy horror RPG. I'd say I'm most easily intrigued by medieval-type fantasy, but there's just so much of that in the world that it's very easy to get lost and never choose anything.

Medieval Europe is an extremely popular inspiration because knights and dragons have captured imaginations since...well, since the Middle Ages XD Another popular one would be a feudal Japan-inspired world, because samurai and ninja have also captured imaginations for a long, long time.

And it IS possible to successfully combine the things you're thinking of. For example, Tales of Symphonia has components of medieval Europe and components of sci-fi future tech. Also, Final Fantasy settings vary wildly game to game. The world of FFX is much different from the world of FFVII, which is different again from Crystal Chronicles or Tactics. Some are medieval, some are futuristic, some are a careful blend of the two.

It really comes down to what serves your story best. And it could be worth a little thought about how easy you want to make it to stand out in a crowd. There are a bazillion (accurate number) of medieval Europe-inspired fantasy RPGs. That's not to say that you couldn't make a killer medieval Europe-inspired fantasy RPG, but you might have a harder time standing out in the crowd. It's called "saturating the market," you can see the same thing with sci-fi and futuristic first-person shooters.

Agreed with Tei on the fact that a lot of the appeal of your setting depends upon the plot of the game. For example, Unraveled is partly set in a modern ship breaking yard and partly in a fantasy world imagined by the protagonist, but the trailer looked amazing. Same goes for Skyborn. Part-steampunk, part-fantasy, full-entertainment.

I guess it boils down to the fact that when you use the right elements in your game and they're able to complement each other in a way that enhances your plot, so much the better.

Personally, I've never much liked games that are set in a world heavily influenced by machinery. We all need more magic in our lives. Mythical beasts, mythical gods, witches, warlocks, elves - these have become a way for a lot of us to escape the mundane-ness of our world.

Yeah, a setting totally depends on the game in point! I have no preference at all tbh. Your average tolkien fantasy world is pretty amazing on its own, and so is a futuristic world, a modern world... But I have to say I really long for creative settings. Chrono Trigger had a fantastic setting! Or rather, settings! It is something quite unlike anything else even if the isolated settings could sometimes be rather generic. (I mean, guardia is generic as hell. Zeal is a bit generic too but BOY ASK ME IF IT IS ATMOSPHERIC AND AMAZING and 2300 AD was pretty great!)

Now, I'm a sucker for astronomy and I'd love to see games mixing astronomy with fantasy in a coherent and interesting way! Please NO ALIEN WARS i'm tired of intergalactic space shooting.  But yeah, the universe is, well, a universe of untapped storytelling potential!