Aveyond Studios Community
emilywake

Aveyond on Android

Is there a way to play Aveyond on Android and iPad/iPhone? Because that would be awesome! Plus, it allows you to get a wider range of players. Or keep players who have no computer anymore, like me.

Nope. Currently, Aveyond (and any other game made with RPG Maker) is PC-only.

RPG Maker MV, the brand-new one, DOES have cross-platform exporting capabilities--PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS--but the jury is still out on the possibility of switching to a new program. There were rumors about switching to Unity--which can also do cross-platform--but nothing ever came of that, either. At least to my knowledge.

(Admittedly, I guess XP is getting outdated--but man, I love the graphics style so much more than VX/MV. I'd have a very hard time playing if they switched to the more squashed-looking sprites in the newer programs XD)

Maybe. That is only just a mere thought. But, it is a possibility, Amaranth games is changing game engines. The last few games were played the game engine Enterbrain. Amaranth games is changing to Unity game engine. Amaranth games did say that Aveyond 4 was going to be played everywhere. But past games on mobile, is a just a mere thought. Anyways, I doubt the past aveyond games are going to be on mobile, i'll believe when it when it starts raining more often in the Sahara desert. Just my opinion.    

Dang it! I was both hoping for the ability to play them on my tablet. I prefer the RMXP graphics and stuff more. It also sucks that I can't use my Android to make games. I can't even remember what my game was about. Oh well. I'll just start over.

AV4 is not on mobile, sorry guys XD I can say with 99.99% certainty that it was only tested on PC, and thus it will only be released on PC.

Some of the games are available on Steam (I know Gates of Night is, that's where I got it XD) and you can download them on any computer you've logged into Steam on--which isn't quite as handy as having them all on one device, but it's still pretty handy.

It's not that simple, guys--if it was, it would've been done by now.

Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and iOS are all extremely different operating systems, and run different types of programs. Windows runs .exe--but Mac has no idea what to do with .exe files. Apps have to be developed for iOS separately than an app on Android. RPG Maker XP--which Aveyond has been developed in up until this point--only exports finished games as .exe files. Thus, they can only run on Windows machines or Windows hard drive partitions.

The newest RPG Maker, RMMV, is the first RPG Maker to have capability to export games made in it to Windows, Mac, Linux, Android AND iOS. However, this requires the game to be made in RMMV or RMVX Ace and the project to be imported using a special script. There is no way to import RMXP data to RMMV to export as a different format. The games would have to be completely remade from scratch. I'd say "maybe someone will create a script for that too," but RMXP handles a lot of things very differently from VX, such as the format for characters (12 frames of animation in VX instead of 16 frames in XP, 8 character sets per sheet instead of one, etc.) and tilesets (fixed height by variable width in VX instead of fixed width and variable height in XP) I haven't gotten a chance to try MV yet myself, but I expect that it handles things more like VX, since the import script exists.

There are plenty of other engines out there--such as Unity and Unreal, even GG Maker--that can create games for cross-platform. Unity and Unreal can even do console formats. But it would just as much work, if not more, to recreate the games in Unity or Unreal--not to mention, it would likely take a larger team to do so.

So, in short, porting games to other platforms is a big, huge lot of work. If a script is written that enables XP to MV import, that would be 484628293 kinds of awesome--but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Actually, it's not just technically difficult to do this, but there are legal complications involved. For example, see the link in my signature that points to my thread where I've got Aveyond working on Linux. As Android is basically based on Linux, it should be possible to implement this. However, the makers of RPGXP forbid users from exporting games to other platforms. I've seen exceptions, however (like To The Moon, which is available for Linux and Mac as well as windows is an RMXP game)