Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ruffi

What is this world turning into??

@Addicted_Emma

The scene where the glaciars collapse is fake, just watch and you can see it's CGI. And it's been pointed out on the net that it's fake.

@Mopiece: of course it's a fake, they weren't passing it off as a live footage of something that's already happened, they were either recreating the scene or predicting the events (i don't clearly remember which), but this is why you should see it for yourself.

I won't watch it for myself because it isn't a real documentary. and I know that global warming is not that big of a deal. People are just freaking out.

@ Mopeice: oh my god. mopeice, youre completely missing my point. WHETHER ITS REAL/NOT OR FACT/NOT you should still watch it. you should always be well informed about the oposing veiw. whether your representing it in a debate or even just have those beliefs, YOU ALWAYS KNOW THE OPPOSING VIEW. period. im saying watch it to know what your trying to argue. even if it is garbage and fake, the point remains. honestly, watch it, or dont watch it, it doesnt really make a difference to me, but before you try to disprove something and say its fake you need to know about it and have seen it first. watching it would be to your arguments benifit even; do you follow what im saying?

as for rising temp: this world relies on balance, nature relies on balance, pretty much everything does, so if you begin with a little thing like raising the temp by a degree, essentially youre screwing with the balance.

@Nick

I am not missing the point. I'm just telling you I will not watch the movie. I pretty much know what the movie is about and pretty much know what Al Gore stands for, which is why I don't need to watch the movie. And for rising temperatures, yeah nature relies on balance, but if the temperature doesn't rise more than a whole degree then the rise is insignificant.

what is the world coming to...all this talk about the future reminds of something that happened today...

i had a group of children that i was speaking with about the summer program we are putting on...it is a take on the pandora's box story...anyhow, in going over the script, the children were asking why Hope was called "hope" since she didnt do anything "but hope didnt put the troubles of the world back in the chest, ms. s, pandora and kalliope did...she isnt hopeful at all"...so i said..."hope did her job because as the hope of the world her job was to bring out the hope within pandora...by not solving pandora's problem, she allowed pandora to have hope in herself and realizing that she could make a difference, as difficult as it seemed at the time"...

later, i overheard one of the girls telling another girl (quite calmly i might add) "i am going to give you the gift of hope by not fixing this for you...if you want my help, i will help you...but after you have tried on your own first and only if you have an idea of how you want me to help you"...

this little girl was 8 years old...and now i, too, have hope in this world..

s

About global warming...it IS a big deal. Maybe some people aren't quite feeling it as much as others but I live in Canada and so I hear stories from the Arctic about glaciers melting and the weather up there becoming warmer, making it difficult for the animals to live there because they're used to colder temperatures.

Even here in southern Ontario, the weather is getting a little off. I have clear memories of climbing and running along snowbanks in the schoolyard as a kid - it was what made recess during winter a lot of fun. Now when I pass by during the winter, there's hardly anything there. (This winter was an exception because we had a few major snowstorms but in the years before that, our winters were quite mild)

@serendipity

Wow, that's a pretty mature 8-year-old girl o_o;; When I was 8, I don't think I ever talked like that. But indeed, the kids are our future so we all need to lead and teach by example, I think. If we teach them right, then they will grow up and perhaps make the world a better place. Let's just make sure our world is still here for them when it comes to that time.

@aeternus - the funny thing about children is how we underestimate their abilities to perceive and express...they are not sponges...true, they are molded by their experiences more easily than adults, but they have their own opinions as well...

what a wonderful resource they are...and what a disservice we do to them by not preparing them for the real world...we take and take from them for our own adult studies and statistics...

what is the world coming to, indeed, when we take from the children to feed our own over-sized egos...

s

not only is the ice melting, but its killing off animals that were already endangered, such as polar bears and penquins. 400 penquins washed up on shore in brazil awhile ago, hmmm... i wonder what the cause was; polar bears have been drowning due to not enough ice, doesnt take a genius to figure the cause of that one out. hurricanes, tsunamis, tornados. all increasing in frequency and power, weather may be unpredictable, but you can map it, and you can know when its increasing. if you screw with the temp, you screw with the weather. high temps becomeing higher, lower temps becomeing lower. gee, i wonder what all those add up to.

Yes it's sad that animals are dying, but sometimes that happens in a climate change. If they want to survive they will adapt, if not they die. The temperature has not changed significantly in the last 100 years.And a tsunami is caused by an earthquake, not the climate.

Mopiece wrote:

Yes it's sad that animals are dying, but sometimes that happens in a climate change. If they want to survive they will adapt, if not they die. The temperature has not changed significantly in the last 100 years.

so it is a problem or it isnt? you keep saying its not a big deal, i agree with the point that right now its not suddenly a huge deal, but it is a problem that we're going to have to deal with eventually. but hey, a few massive huricanes, tornados and tsunami are no big deal... i mean after all, we need to learn to adapt, right?

I know for me the weather changes have killed (frozen) the fruit on my trees for 3 years running now. We've been getting snow in higher levels than in the last 80 years. And at least a month longer of cold too. 12 years ago I could put my vegetable garden in by the end of Feb. Now I have to wait till June. I don't necessarily believe the cause is mankind, but the weather is changing radically whatever the cause.

@oracle - we had troubles in our school garden because we have had no bees...usually the children would watch them (they almost never stung them) on the plants and flowers...this past year they kept asking for the bees...we got ONE cucumber only this year...

s

IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Is that clear enough for you? Yes animals died, big deal.They'll adapt or die.And we won't have to deal with it, the planet will fix itself. And a tsunami is caused by an earthquake.

I'm fortunate in that area. We have a local bee keeper just down the road. When it gets warm enough they all come out. The problem is the warm spell only lasts for about two weeks. Then everything freezes again and kills the pollenated flowers. All I have this year are figs and grapes. Oh and maybe one pomegranite.

Mopiece - enough! If you want people to respect your opinion, then respect theirs as well. Watch the documentary, or don't watch it. Believe in global warming, or don't believe in it. If you have nothing to contribute to the conversation other than rubbishing everyone, then don't contribute.

@oracle - here in texas it has been quite a problem with our lack of bees...the okra have been coming up like crazy, lol...but, then, they like the heat...our cherry tomatoes are so so tiny...they are smaller than actual cherries...it has been an unusual season for our vegetables, likely due to the weather...too much rain last summer, not enough this summer...

s

serendipity wrote:

this conversation is not going anywhere

s

Agreed. i believe ive at least somewhat proven my point. no need repeating it...

@ mopeice: correct, tsunamis are caused by earthquakes. just like tornados are caused by different temperatures and humiditys meeting, and hurricanes are caused by intense low pressure areas that form over warm ocean waters. They all have to do with nature.

@Mopiece: Global Warming = BIG Problem for the way of living we are experiencing now. Berries in Ontario were bad this year. REALLY bad.

It wont be MAJOR for a long time yet; but we are, even now, making small changes and sacrifices because of it...things that are easily adapted to.

And the planet will fix itself when we're gone.

Edit: Eeep. Sorry. Case closed! :)

Plants and animals dying off due to climate change are natural processes; however, the problem lies in the rate in which climate change is occuring. Human activity has speed it up significantly and has directly or indirectly lead to the extinction of many species.

And we will have to deal with it, either in the long term or the short term. Humans aren't isolated from the environment and the changes that occur.

Edit: it took a while for me to post this, I didn't see the previous posts.

@Nick: Cute but deadly.

The sadest picture I've seen of polar bears are the ones that live at the city dump outside of Churchill, Manitoba. It's easier for them to find food there than to find seals to eat.