Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Pokémon

Two questions on Aveyond 4 (Walkthrough + jumpscares?)

So does anyone know if there's a free walkthrough aside from the strategy guide that's at least going to be completed sometime?  Like a FAQ or at least maps?

I've recently developed a bit of a sensitivity to horror games (particularly things jumping out at me), and after perusing the sound files I noticed a very unsettling, toy-boxy-ish track that takes place in a windmill, which hints to a haunted locale in the game.  After progressing through the game I discovered that there is indeed a haunted windmill in Windshire, and doing a bit of data mining I discovered that it IS indeed part of a required quest.  There were also "ghost" sprites in the files that looked just like villagers in Windshire.

I've played previous Aveyond games and they never contained anything scary or psychological, but Aveyond 4 be ...different to the previous games.  I'm perfectly fine with just ghosts wandering around that you fight like normal monsters if the place is just a normal dungeon, but I'm really worried that Amanda threw in a jumpscare or two.  The reason is because I've played other indie RPGs like, say, Undertale which maintains a relatively friendly fantasy setting but there's still a terrifying jumpscare in one of the endings where a character's facial expression turns blood-curtailing horrifying and approaches the screen with a loud "laugh", so I don't know if that's the case here.

Sorry about the childish mini-rant.  Tl; dr: is there a free walkthrough that has at least gotten to the Windshire windmill quest, and if not can someone tell me if there's anything that jumps out at you, screamers and the like, feel free to spoil the full details on the Windshire windmill quest to me.

Thanks!

Nah, that's not a childish rant at all! I don't do horror at all myself, but I can assure you that the Windmill isn't really scary. A little spooky, because ghosts and the aforementioned music box track, but mostly it's a puzzle involving fans that push you around like the wind dungeon in LoZ Wind Waker. As you said, the ghosts are just blue and white villagers. The music can be turned off from the Options menu or by hitting F1 and turning off BGM.

There aren't any jump scares that I remember. Nothing screams. The worst you'll get it a sudden stop, a little blip where a ! pops up over Boyle's head, and the background music will change to a little more intense battle music.

And thanks for the heads-up about the jumpscare in Undertale--everyone's telling me I should play it (my friend even bought it for me) but I don't do jump-scares. So I'll be sure to watch out for that >_>

There isn't a free walkthrough for this one, but the forums are here to help you out! We're not instant like a walkthrough, but we're pretty quick :)

Sorry for going off topic, but that jumpscare in Undertale only occurs in one ending where you have to go out of your way to kill every single enemy in the game.

As Tei said, the windmill dungeon isn't very frightening at all. I found the soundtrack a little creepy, but for me the scariest part was when I couldn't find the last ghost.

Everything up to the point where he gets stuck in the bucket might seem a little creepy. Heck, I thought the abandoned house back on snake plains (that's what I called them) in AV1 had ghosts that were creepy as fudge. Thank god for comic relief though :'3