Aveyond Studios Community
Faruheist

Aveyond 4 and its ending *SPOILERS*

Hi all, if there's already an official place for people to discuss the ending of the game, let me know and I'll delete this. I just wanted to hear all your thoughts.

Mostly, this was my favorite Aveyond yet, although apparently I hoped for a few more threads to untangle that never did. 

Ingrid and Boyle - I chose their ending mainly because of an accidental attraction point gain, and I went with it. Even so, I thought there was probably more potential for that match to add up with a few reveals I expected and didn't get. Here was some clues I thought would add up:

1. When the group is captured by goblins, Ingrid starts to say something about the curse and is stopped by the action. 

2. Ingrid prevents Boyle from confessing his true feelings under the effects of the blabbermouth potion.

I was hoping for an ending in which Ingrid reveals the curse was fake all along, and Boyle admitting he always knew. They both would have kept up the charade rather than admit their feelings, as both characters are just more comfortable expressing rage and vitriol than share their secret squishy hearts. That at least would have been a consensual relationship I could get behind.

As it stands, if the curse is real and we know nothing of Boyles true feelings, it's a very sad ending. Boyle's a prisoner for life to someone who actually doesn't care about his feelings, and due to his loyalty to Fang (and eventually Mist, after a little development) he's a much better human being than Ingrid deserves.

='(

Ingrid and Boyle - I chose their ending mainly because of an accidental attraction point gain, and I went with it.

This is built in the game to just show that attraction points can be gained. It wasn't accidental. You will always get that point.

I haven't done the Ingrid and Boyle path yet. I don't like a pairing people together if one of them is being forced. I gave the attractions points to Hi'beru the first time. Just because I thought there interactions were funny. I think I'll try Phye's path before seeing Boyle's path.

The curse is real. It just has a small tweak to it, which is that it can be broken by true love. This can be seen when Grunhila and Ingrid are talking in Grunhilda's house. Ingrid says, "Who can ever love Boyle?". Meanwhile, she might seem like she doesn't have a soft spot for Boyle but I faintly remember at lease one instance where you can see she cares for Boyle..a lot. That is, during the whole spider kidnapping incident.

Also, if you consider any of those attraction point incidents occurring in real life, they would clearly show favor and change your opinion about the other person. Ingrid openly shared her crab meat and arena spoils with Boyle, after all.

Te'ijal and Galahad started out the same way. Now, I think they are the most adorable couple ever. Love doesn't always develop before a marriage, sometimes it takes a soul pendant or a curse to meet that fated person.

Mopiece - I accidentally made the cookies to get to that second attraction point, and just decided to go with it. 

I hear you Valkyriet, But If Ingrid doesn't give Boyle a choice, I can't really see that as anything close to love. Feeding crab etc is just a master looking after a slaves well-being as a valuable possession. If that's really feels no one can love Boyle but forces him to marry her due to his power, of course she'd see to it that he got things to increase his power like the giant crab. Meanwhile, the only match Ingrid would deserve would be Hercules without a change of heart!

I'm really hoping someone can tell me one of those other endings are more satisfying. Perhaps even if the curse is real and Ingrid lifts it to be with someone else, there'll be hints of her otherwise developing enough empathy for me to root for her in a match with someone else. I take it from Mopiece's comment that this didn't happen with Hiberu, What about Phye?

Also, what does everyone think about Teijal and Galahad's "ending"? I would have agreed with you Valkyriet that they had become adorable through Aveyond 3, but I was hoping we'd get to see how that argument ended. If the door was locked after Galahad went in, I would have at least been able to assume the two of them were "making up" =) 

I thought the Ingrid-Boyle ending was decent for both their characters. Cursing someone to marry you is a very classic Aveyond witch thing, and seemed like a suitable way for ex-villains to woo each other. If they weren't both ex-villains, I might have more of a problem with it.

Furthermore, I do think Ingrid secretly cares about Boyle. If I can dive really deep here and throw out some guesswork, I think Ingrid has self-confidence issues (Her powers aren't that strong, she is outshone by her sisters, etc.). This is supported by her asking her Boppity Woods sister if she's the most beautiful witch she's ever seen, as well as not wanting to talk to her child prodigy sister Lorelai.

If this IS the case, then I'd guess that she's secretly scared out of her brains that Boyle hates her/doesn't love her/would reject her at a moment's notice. Hence why she doesn't want to hear his true feelings at Grunhilda's. (Not that I'm saying Ingrid is some lovelorn maiden - she's tough as nails - but tough people aren't immune to insecurity.)

A couple other thoughts:

-- As Valkyriet said, Ingrid does seem genuinely concerned when Fangder nabs Boyle.
-- As Faruheist brought up, Ingrid nearly reveals something about the curse when they're about to be eaten by goblins. I don't quite remember the dialogue in that scene, but I think she was about to reveal how the curse could be broken. If I can go out on a rickety limb here for a second, I wonder if the reason she was going to say that is because she loves him unconditionally, therefore making the curse completely ineffective from the start.

But that might just be my inner romantic. :P And it definitely bears saying that just because you love someone, doesn't mean you're allowed to walk all over them, or in this case, enslave them. If it were any other two characters, or (goodness forbid!) real people, I'd be a lot more concerned, but the two of them already act like an old married couple, and I'm pretty sure Boyle can handle anything Ingrid throws at him anyway.

Still, between Ingrid + Boyle and no marriages whatsoever, I kind of like the no marriages ending better. XD Just my personal taste. I haven't tried Hi'beru or Phye yet. I may be back here when I have.

Interesting to note here that from the beginning it was stated that Ingrid was no good at any curses so maybe she never actually cursed Boyle - he only thought she did and it was just a ploy

I think that might just have been a joke, haha. Like you said, he's "probably" a descendant. I like how they left that ending ambiguous so as to give the players the freedom to draw their own judgement though.

Well it was fun playing, lots of crazy laughs. Hope they make another with some returning characters, that'll be awesome.

The game was GREAT!!!!! ^_^  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^  ^_^

P.S. It was worth the wait.  :D

Good day everyone. I'm fairly new here so please forgive me for any mistakes I make.

So about Aveyond 4:Shadows of the Mist. I'm not offending anyone, but somehow this installment of the Aveyond series didn't feel the same. In a way it doesn't feel like a game from Aveyond at all, which is pretty much of a downer since I was so hyped on its announcement. Nonetheless, it was refreshing to finally play a lead male who was also a villain in the past.

(Aveyond 2 cast a male lead but was pretty much a supporting protagonist to the female chosen one)

The huge difference of AV4 with all other installments is its shift from melodramatic adventure to a comedic one. I found the game hilarious and had fun. It was both the reason why I love it and the reason why it didn't feel like an Aveyond game for me. It leaned more on the comedic side, unlike the others. The plot would still be the same though, beat the big bad and save the world. Only this time they do it without the Oracle's influence.

Another difference is the lack of housing for the party. It's seen that all other installments had it but AV4 instead had a huge library where your party is separated and can be talked to. Too bad, I really liked party interactions with one another. But I guess they make it up with the story telling of party members when Ingrid comes back from potion making (which really makes me curious on what they talk about)

Attraction is still the same, but this time only Ingrid can do it gain it with three guys (I really wanted to play cupid and couple them all up, not just one)

With all that's happened in AV4, I think I've gained more questions than answers to the events. Like:

1. Ingrid and Boyle. Does she really love him? How did he get cursed in the first place? WHAT WAS SHE GOING TO SAY ABOUT THE CURSE WHEN THEY GOT CAPTURED!?(The ending where they marry didn't seem much to me, I was expecting something more touchy-feely)
  2. What was Boyle's reason to enact world domination? I WANT TO KNOW WHO WERE THE HEROES THAT BEAT HIM
  3. What was Boyle's past as a villain? Why did he have to kill Fang's mother?
  4. Tying to Q3, how did Boyle and the demon Baal get involved? He's the reason Boyle is afraid of demons(if I remember correctly), so what did Baal do to him?
  5. What happened to all those cowardly paladins and the leader who got seriously injured(we got to see Forthwrong but not them at the end)
  6. Will Robin and Myste get together, or have they already gotten together?(They're so cute)
  7. Is Robin an official paladin at the end? He's braver than the paladins seen.
  8. And last but not least, is Boyle actually a Pendragon?(I don't remember if the story said Darkthrop or Pendragon since I misclicked and missed one dialogue box, while another poster said Darkthrop descendant) 

What I do know is that Boyle never had a father(scene at End of the World with Robin) and doesn't know or is not proficient in reading(library scene at Halaina). If so then is Wolfbane just a surname he gave to himself or is it his mother's?

Gee, of all Aveyond games, AV4 is the only one I want with a direct sequel. So many mysteries unanswered.

The ending was funny and entertaining. I'm not going to question that. We all know the militant squirrels were at an advantage. It was only a matter of time. (I'm guessing the party was at fault for selling that weapon blueprint at Robin's shop? ROFL)

As a side note. Where does H'iberu live? I found the rosemary at Boyle's house (after wasting a whole afternoon) and found a post saying the rosemary is seen at the love interest's house(so Phye's is in Ulrock)

Also can someone explain the H'iberu and Phye romance ending? I only got Boyle's(since I like their relationship building throughout the game. To be honest I didn't like them at first but the idea finally warmed up to me.) And unfortunately I overwrote some save files I have where I can start again at 10H and so.

And finally; WHEN WILL THEY EVER MAKE AN AV2 CAMEO? 

I miss all the characters of AV2 that never get mentioned at all

I agree that the Oracle didn't have much of an influence in AV4. Unlike the prequels, where she's always been the one to guide the protagonist on their quest, here, she's been turned to stone so sadly, she doesn't get much screen time. I really like that old lady.

As for attraction points, there are only three females in the party : Ingrid, Myst, Rowen. We know Rowen is married (with a child), and from what we know of Myst, she doesn't think much of land-dwellers. So, for one thing, you can definitely expect Myst to not rush into love so easily. At the end, we do see that she regards Robin differently because of his personality, but I'm guessing they're only at a stage of good friendship thus far. Somehow, it feels like they wouldn't look so good together as lovers, imo.

As for your questions :

1. I suspect (as does Myst) that Ingrid has some special feelings for Boyle. We don't know exactly if it's love but she's definitely attracted to him. What she wanted to say when they got captured was probably that the curse she put on him can be broken by true love (we know this because she told Grunhilda about the curse and can be seen telling her at the end - "Who can ever love Boyle?"). This is also proven by a cutscene if you play through to the end without getting the love potion for anyone.

Knowing Ingrid though, you can see that she's not good at expressing her own feelings or letting them be known (she's somewhat of a tsundere). But judging by her actions when Boyle was captured by Fangder as well as by the Windshire residents, she really does care for Boyle. I think they suit each other quite well and I can't imagine her being with anybody else.

5. Leader? Do you mean Ellie Brightsword, the girl who found out her father had betrayed her? She made it back to the shore where the party wakes up(walk right) and you can find her nearly dying because of drakefang poison. If you interact with her, the party takes her back inside the crusade grounds, triggering a chain of quests. After it's all done, she can be found again at Delamere and if you speak to her, it triggers a rather hilarious cutscene.

7. I believe Robin became an official paladin after you finished everything Ellie asks you to do, just prior to leaving for the voyage to the shadow isles.

8. Pretty sure Ingrid said "Darkthrop". Even I can't remember, haha xD I do recall she said that the true heir (to either Thais or something else) was missing and that she thought it was Boyle. At that stage, it's pretty much just speculation.

Hi'beru lives on a different continent entirely. If he ever mentioned a name, I can't remember it xD The secret ingredient for Boyle's love potion is at Boyle's house. The one for Phye is in a small part of the Depths of Fire (go through basement of love potion recipe shop). The one for Hi'beru is inside a small mushroom house (can be accessed only if you finished the God Water quest).

Yup, you'd think the Oracle would do much more seeing as she's actually a higher being and all (AV2)

Thanks for the answers. I doubt we'll ever know Boyle's past. It kind of makes me sad.

About the paladin leader, Brightsword, I actually meant what happened to her after all that happened in the game. We see an epilogue for everyone, even Forthright(wrong) but not her at the end. Just makes me curious.

About Myst and Robin. Yes, I actually agree with you. Part of me thinks that individually, it's better that they remain their separate way while another part of me wants them together. I feel Robin is a tad too childish.

I KNEW it! I knew I wasn't mistaken when I remembered Hi'beru saying he lived elsewhere in another continent. I got confused when another poster said that the love potion item is in a love interest's home

The tease at the end that Boyle might be a Darkthrop really gave me the "wow" factor....actually more of a "WHAT?!"

Sadly it is just a tease. Unless Amanda Fitch drops us more hints.

Or she could just break my heart like she did when she confirmed the canon ending of AV3 series

I read these with great interest since I can't bring myself to finish the game. I went into Galahads house with Tei'jal to see Galahad sleeping and Tei'jal just saying how tired he was. As far as I've gotten, I love all Aveyond games, but this one I felt really disconnected from. The others I could really get into, this one seemed more linear and I found it kind of disappointing. However, I thought the dialogue was awesome as were the graphics. Some of the stuff I was so happy to see I was fangirling like crazy XD

I think AV4 leaned more on the ~personal~ side of things. It wasn't really about the ~grand scheme~ of things like Aveyond & Aveyond 2 (AV3 had a different, more sinister feel too, but that was in chapters so it was hard)... where it really is a GROWING CONCERN...

...that I think it's cool that they turn to the humorous path. It just made much more sense and the characters really developed... BUT I WAS HOPING BOYLE x MYST should have been the one that happened. It always seemed hinted at :[ <3 

Since spoilers are presumed to be here, the curse never existed

Think of the priestesses in Aveyond, which is pretty much the alternate ending. They love everyone of the Goddess's children. 

What I loved about the end was Myst threatening to turn the Oracle to stone, made me laugh as she can be annoying :D

Hmm I believe the curse Ingrid placed on Boyle is nonexistent. I personally believe that Ingrid fell in love with him and lied to everyone about the curse in order to snag her man. Which is probably why she said she was going to Aveyond so no one undid her curse, it didn't exist and she didn't want Boyle to find out.

As for Boyle's origins and the possibilities of him being a Pendragon( yes the book said The Lost PENDRAGON, not Darkthrop) only his mom knows and yes she is still around because Ingrid asks Boyle if he wants to invite his mother to the wedding in the Library cutscene. Though I think it is true because Boyle himself doesn't know his own last name and why would Amanda sneak in this little tidbit id it didn't mean something.

I definitely see Myst and Robin as a couple but not yet. Robin is a bit too childish and needs to grow up, Myst needs to open up more with her emotions. Maybe when they travel some more and mature a bit they can be a couple, but the potential is definitely there.

I didn't get sufficient attraction points with anyone (too lazy to complete all the steps), so no weddings for anyone. The epilogue cutscenes were hilarious, though I find many of them rather weird.

Phye randomly getting together with that bridge harpy, for instance. Do they actually know each other? I've never tried talking to her while playing the game...

And why is Hi'beru suddenly looking for love? Nowhere in the game was it even hinted that he's even considering romance, much less settle down with someone.

Boyle finding a loophole in the curse by getting the priestess' "love for everyone" was funny though. Well, at least he didn't hook up with her.

I actually like the militant squirrels segment the best because it's so bizarre it kinda cross the line twice. Can we get one as a party member next time?

I set up Ingrid with Hi'beru because Ingrid kept on beating him up and it was funny. Alas, as per my usual fare as the lord of crackships, I ship Boyle with Myst ever since Windy Valley, so I just can't stand the idea of Ingrid getting to Boyle.

I was a bit baffled Phye was even an option, to be honest. He barely said anything to Ingrid. I personally don't mind, but it was still random as heck.

Also, one thing that I've been confused throughout the game... Hercules was revealed to have been... something else... in Aveyond 3. Why is he suddenly back to being the faux hero that he was pretending to be? Continuity? Hello? And I was a bit torn about how the final battle went. To say it was anticlimactic is an understatement.

^ Just because it's not canon doesn't mean it's a crack pairing you know. The Mystical Waif archetype is typically (one of) the love interest for the classic RPG hero, so if this wasn't an Aveyond game I'd expect the development to go that route (same with Devin & Talia, Rhen & Lars and Mel & Edward in the previous games). But given Amanda's track record of deliberately NOT going the typical route, I suppose it's only natural that she wouldn't pair those two.

Oh, I was very much aware of that. And I suspect one of the other reasons that Boyle/Myst is not meant to be is because appearances matter. Despicte being hundreds of years old Myst looks 14 or 15, and I'm being rather generous here. Boyle could easily appear to be her grandpa, and obviously Amanda would want to avoid creepy implications to appeal to a wider range of target audience .

Oh, I was very much aware of that. And I suspect one of the other reasons that Boyle/Myst is not meant to be is because appearances matter. Despicte being hundreds of years old Myst looks 14 or 15, and I'm being rather generous here. Boyle could easily appear to be her grandpa, and obviously Amanda would want to avoid creepy implications to appeal to a wider range of target audience .

I agree. Myst is a bit more naive too. Ingrid's got this Boyle thing hammered down. But who knows, maybe the relationship hasnt reached its full potential yet. Anyone know yet if this'll be part of a series like Aveyond 3 was?

P.S. friggin love these games.

That is up to Amaranth. The previous Aveyond was going to be the last, but Amaranth changed her mind. It's best to just watch the Facebook page if you have Facebook, or this site for news relating to the Aveyond games.