Aveyond Studios Community
callmedan

Ahriman's Prophecy (REBOOT)

13 hours ago, RedButterfly33 said:
  • ¬†

Oh oh, OR replace this with Herbalism ? Or maybe call it Alchemy? I don't remember where I saw this, but what if instead of 'creating food' with magic Talia just made, you know, potions? You know, like a priestess that is known for healing would make? Also, it was Talia's dream in the beginning to be an herbalist, so it would help to make sense of why she'd choose this order in canon. 

In terms of suggestions, the biggest problem I found with the original (I love it to bits but it is very very flawed) is the insane amount of grinding you need to do. I get that it makes the game longer, but it also makes it more annoying. I don't want to spend hours wandering around the Dwarf Mines or Faiara just to grind gold/levels. A bit is okay, but damn, I think I spend roughly a half of each playthrough just grinding. Also, I know you'll probably be adding this, but it would help a lot if we're able to see the levels of all the characters and the exp for each like in later Aveyond. 

Also maybe vary the Alicia and Talia dialogue a little? Both girls say the same when Devin does sweet things for them, and it makes it almost irrelevant which one you pick, because everything happens the same way anyways. Also, totally agreeing with Scarlet Pendant that a special item would be nice, again to make a difference to which girl you go for.

Add character profiles? Maybe ones that keep count of merit and attraction points?

Maybe add different lockpicks for Jack so that he needs different ones to open different chests? Instead of.... whatever was going on in the original¬†ūüėā

I know a lot of these suggestions is stuff that the later Aveyond games had, but it would be nice to see them in the remake. Would make it feel more like a part of the same whole.

Anyways, looking forward to this! Looks simply amazing thus far, very reminiscent of the original. Can hardly wait for the demo! 

Ah herbalism might be too different from the base game, as it adds another aspect, and potions in game are barely if non existent (is holy tonic, aquifolium, etc considered potions?).

After many times replaying, I don't feel that the grinding is too unbearable. I'm not sure why, but perhaps I attempted to take on more difficult enemies at once, and I wasn't afraid to use lots of healing items, especially after you can buy fish from Tucker and buy Aquifolium from Witchwood. A good balance of story and fighting would be that a trip to the objective and a trip back is enough to make you advance to the next stage/objective ( for example, going to the dwarf mines to get the earth relic, straight killing every enemy once, and killing every enemy on the way back from the mines. Applicable for the Fire Cave, Water Cave, Underworld and other places which serves a linear purpose and is either too cumbersome to revisit.

A good way to rephrase what I write above is: a good balance is found when you only kill monsters when you come across them, not hunt them actively. When you hunt them, this is where it gets boring fast. 

Regarding the XP level info, I think it's obvious enough to include the numerical value. Agree with different lockpicks, and adding character files. I should probably add that to my suggestions post, if you don't mind. 

An interesting aspect i found after riding the game again is that you always end up with too much money in the end game, whilst your spend so much time grinding for that Doublet in Devenshire, or that Tivanna Robe in Tar Vedron. 

I have already spotted two major errors. The first one occurs while trying to heal in the middle of battle. The second occurs when Talia looks into Avrail's pool.

1811306700_In-BattleHealError1.png.4fb4c2ed8fa59456935392162eebfa67.png

1624121331_AvrailNamingPoolError1.png.a79eafbff0e1efebe465d8b460df6d76.png

Also, the correct phrase is "an herbalist," not "a herbalist." It's a weird thing that involves some words that begin with "H."

Overall, this demo is very good so far despite the major bugs.

Yaaaay demo is here! I've played it (as far as I can, I'll get into that in a minute) and in short I love it and you've done an amazing job! :rhen_love:

That doesn't mean I'm not going to be constructive, so here are more detailed thoughts, conveniently separated into sections:

• What you kept the same

The music instantly shot me back into childhood, so yay for that! Elden looks and feels just like the original, it was kind of neat to know where everything is but have it still feel like I'm exploring a new map. From the enemies to the NPCs to the quests, most of the original has made it in here. I love how you even have the exact same random animals walking about, the pig specifically was very nostalgic for me, I used to love chasing it.

• What you added

The portraits look cute as hell, and THE CUTSCENES OMG. They looked and flowed great, no complaints there. Certainly an upgrade from the original, as most of the cutscenes, if you can call them that, were conversations held in empty space with some sort of vaguely menacing picture in the background. I love how you've actually made the maps for these places, and we get to see Prince Zorom's attempted assassination instead of just being told about it. Seriously enhances the experience. Speaking of, small things I really loved throughout include the animation on the blacksmith (how great was that), also adding Gemma's letter to her dad (so sweet) and keeping the bit about Talia warming her hands over the fire when she touches it. Small stuff, but it makes the world come alive a little more, especially with small additions like the interactions of the farmer and Bessy, and before that Talia and Gemma in the beginning. Also, neat with the little firewood quest to start off with, and also SO MUCH YES on seeing the quests pop up when you obtain them! Great idea!

• Battle system

Love it! I feel like it's as close to the real time stuff as you can get it, with the hero sprites moving in to attack and their facesets showing up to frown as they take damage. Makes it feel more dynamic than a static battle screen, but with the added bonus that you can actually take your time and strategize without fear of being mobbed and cut down while wondering how to execute a spell. Excellent handling of that aspect!

Overall, looks incredible so far! Loyal to the game, but with enough little things to make it feel fresh and more fleshed out.    

Now, moving on to the technical side of things. This will also be separated so that you get an idea of what is personal bias and what is objective. 

• Bugs

Okay, so there are a few. First one is when Talia first talks to the cow -- for part of the dialogue her portrait and name disappears only to be replaced by 'talc'

Next, and I'm not sure if this is an error or intentional, but if it's the second do ignore me. When Talia fights, her faceset bounces up and down when expressions change (when she gets hit and frowns or wins and smiles). This might be because you intended the battles to be more dynamic, but thought I'd mention it just in case it wasn't supposed to do that and it was a positioning error.

A small one is the spelling of 'a herbalist' which should be 'an herbalist'. 

I was not able to finish the demo if it goes further than the naming. Reason for this is an error, most likely an altered or deleted line: Script 'Monster Spawning' line 263: NoMethodError occurred. undefined method 'refresh' for nil:NilClass 

Those were the only ones I experienced, tried to do as much as I could and clicked on most things, but stuff might have slipped through the cracks

• Personal nitpicks

Okay, so loving the faceset, very nice. And I love the sprites too, buuuut... well, Talia's sprite looks like an adult. When she speaks to the kid characters, which are supposed to be her age, it's especially noticeable, since she's obviously got an adult sprite. I love parts of it, the hair especially, and the dress is cute, but it sticks out when speaking to Gemma and the other kids, and  in the original she did have a kid sprite in the early game. Didn't get to see Devin's (as I mentioned couldn't get past the naming) but he can probably get away with it being a little older. Come to think of it, I didn't get to see Devin's faceset either, if the demo goes so far. Doh, now I'm sad.

Second one is that we didn't get to see Bessey follow Talia once she gave her the carrot! The cow just disappears, even though the game tells you it's following her. Just wish it actually did that, is all. You could probably do that on the same principle as the monsters that follow the player, but again this is a biased thing and not objective at all, so feel free to ignore this whole section. :rhen_sweat:

Anyway, hope this was helpful! If the rest of the game is like this, I've gotta say you nailed it.

I played the demo version already. The nostalgia really takes you back (nevermind the fact I recently replayed the original game)! I did not play the most recent one you updated, but I see you already implemented some features I am suggesting. Comments about the demo so far:

1. The graphics and sprite improvement is sharp, to say in the least. I really like it. The music also takes you back, (it seems that the music in AP is fast-forwarded? Compared to the original audio tracks)
  2. The accuracy to the original map, whilst adding your own twist is on point. I love it. However, I think Elden, as a tutorial area, should have some wide areas (rather than tight spaces around the forest)allowing Talia to skirt around monsters, whilst the more forested Devenshire provides lots of cramped spaces.
  3. The additional scenes during the prologue really surprised me. It was a job well done compared to the wall of text in the original game! It really adds to the flavour of the base game
  4. The way you explained the game makes it still very understandable for new players who directly play the demo, a solid introduction.
  5. The heal whilst in battle function seems to be nonexistent. But I understand, this is just a demo.
  6. Autosave feature is a saviour when a sudden crash happens (which often occurs in my original AP when I try to move the character and hit the esc button at the same time)
  7. The new turn-based system definitely changes the basic dynamics of the game (As a matter of fact, I don't play the other versions of Aveyond that much). Since this is a demo, I'll just suggest to balance the speed you level up and gold you receive for the time you spent battling monsters. It feels difficult for me to defeat the monsters by myself, even the flies. As battles become longer, it gets longer to level up and collect gold
  8. The new battle system means difficulty for fighting groups of monsters in the beginning. Going to Avrail's cave seems mostly evading monsters. There is no way Talia can 1 v 3 the monsters.
  9. I had particular difficulty getting back to Grandma after being named by Avrail. I was trying to avoid all the monsters, but upon crossing the bridge, where the path is only 1 player wide, forces me to face the lone Green Snake, which I seemingly unable to defeat unless I level up Talia (Leveling herself up alone is too grindy for a demo). Again, I think this is a balance issue.
  10. The gold sacks, although common in later Aveyond games, seem odd in AP? I don't know, maybe because I'm more used to the treasure chests, barrels, and vats

That's all I see. I'll update it if I see fit.

Edited by Scarlet Pendant
Added new things and adapted list to the updates

Okay, having played the updated version the two bugs princessbinas pointed out have been fixed, so hurray! Agree with Scarlet Pendant on most points. I played all the Aveyonds, so that could be why, but I didn't find the battles hard at all, and I was able to take out 3 enemies with just Talia. Had to heal afterwards, but eh. Didn't level up at all, but did equip the knife found in one of the houses, so that could possibly have made a difference as well. BTW, noticed no armour to buy this time around? (what was it in the original? Hats?) But that could just be for the demo. 

Update since I was able to finish it from the naming afterwards: 

No attraction point counter for Devin? Found this odd, since Talia has one. 

During the cutscene where he joins the party, some of the text went by automatically and way too fast, I wasn't able to read all of it. 

Some minor spelling issues. Same cutscene, Talia says 'one of your apprentice' but the plural is 'apprentices'. 

I finally got to the end of the demo in the latest release and I have to say that I am impressed. It is definitely an accurate remake. Graphics are pristine and add a new flavor to an old classic. The music is perfect. The animated battles are really nice and blend the APv2 and early Aveyond battle systems perfectly.

As I said earlier, overall, this is a high quality remake and it is enjoyable. I look forward to the full release.

So I figured I might as well critique just in case there are some minor things you miss when finishing to rest. It is just the demo though.

Butterflies are on the same layer as the player, and therefore cannot be moved past.

Bookshelves so far don't have content.

A single tree in lower Elden can be walked through.

I'll more than likely be back.

Thank you all!

@Scrivener of the Gods Well, as the trees in Elden are 2 tiles width, so I let the player can walk around the trunk, just wrong priority setup :rhen_sweat: Also, no butterflies are on the same layer as the player. If you meant those tiny yellow animals around the well, they're chicks. I'll try to find a solution for that, so they won't block the way

finished playing the demo I downloaded on Christmas Eve, did get the two bug errors mentioned previously, and also got another one when trying to exit Gramma's house after telling her what Avrail said, but I was able to load a previous save and it didn't happen the second time. And I did download the new version and will try it tonight. But other than that, it was a lot of fun to play!

Will you have Goodie Caves or something like the cash cow in AV1? I will admit, I do use the Gold Goodie that was available for the original AP sometimes, but it would be nice to have that option since the other Aveyond Games do have Goodie Caves or the cash cow. Can't wait for the full version!

10 hours ago, callmedan said:

Thank you all!

@Scrivener of the Gods Well, as the trees in Elden are 2 tiles width, so I let the player can walk around the trunk, just wrong priority setup :rhen_sweat: Also, no butterflies are on the same layer as the player. If you meant those tiny yellow animals around the well, they're chicks. I'll try to find a solution for that, so they won't block the way

Thanks, although I there is one that the bottom is above the player. Shoild be the lowest one under Genna's house. Only noticed it because the kid ran through it. It's not major though.

I'm assuming that the demo stops after Talia picks up Devin and they talk to her grandmother, since the game just stopped after that.

I can definitely tell that this project has had a lot of love put into it and I eagerly await the finished product. I LOVE the added cutscenes and the character portraits are really cute, especially how Talia changes expressions when she's hit in battle.

Few critiques/suggestions:

Talia's an even bigger wimp at the beginning of the game here than she is at the beginning of the original version. Seriously, when fighting the flies she would often take of ZERO points off when hitting them (and yes, that's with the dagger equipped).

Also, since the Elden Woods is a fairly-expansive map, it might be nice to add a couple more treasure chests or moneybags. 

This might just be my computer, but the music tracks from the original game seemed to play rather softly, especially during the Zorom cutscene in the pool. Also, at one point the Elden music simply stopped and didn't start again.

Why did you remove the hats and practice swords from the Elden store?

I REALLY hope you're not getting rid of the bookshelf-reading feature - I love exploring the bookshelves in AP and the AV games.

Also, I like how the cow follows Talia in the original game, but here the cow just disappears. 

There's a barrel in the blacksmith's that doesn't give any messages when you try to search it (the one by the north wall).

It's "granddaughter," not "grand-daughter."

Finally, I had an idea for later on. Maybe when Talia joins a guild, she could get a new outfit depending on what guild she joins (for example, maybe a white dress similar to what she wears in AV1 if she becomes a priestess or a black dress if she becomes a witch). Just a suggestion, but I think it would be fun.

@EsmeAmelia Thank you!

1. I've got a report about the zero damage before (yours is the 2nd one). I'm pretty sure that I fixed it before the demo release, but... well, I'll take a look again

2. I'll see if I could add more chests in the woods. Also, could you when the Elden music stops and does not play again?

3. My bad, I forgot to add them to the store process.

4. In the original game, there's only a bookshelf in the writer's house, and it's a tutorial about the battle system. Since we have another system in the reboot, so I'm finding something else to replace it.

For the other things, I'll add them in the next update.

Finally, it's a good idea for the changing outfit when Talia joins a guild. Well, it's not a problem for me to create more sprites for her, but not changing her clothes in the faceset would be sort of weird. Tbh, I've spent a bit too much money for this project (much more than what I could earn a year), and all those awesome facesets were made by an artist I hire. In order to ensure the consistency in the art style, I'll have to hire him again to create the variations. Eh~ Y'know, that's a problem for me.

23 hours ago, callmedan said:

Finally, it's a good idea for the changing outfit when Talia joins a guild. Well, it's not a problem for me to create more sprites for her, but not changing her clothes in the faceset would be sort of ÔĽŅweird. Tbh, I've spent a bit too much money for this project (much more than what I could earn a year), andÔĽŅ all those awesome facesets were made by an artist I hire. In order to ensure the consistency in the art style, I'll have to hire¬†him again toÔĽŅ create the variations. Eh~ Y'know, that's a problem for me.

I'm not sure why you even bothered to outsource that one? I mean the Alicia faceset in your art thread looked pretty damn good, and you said you did this with MV ? Don't get me wrong, the facesets look great and I get wanting a more distinct, professional look , but you seem to already be quite good in that regard, and there are plenty of free resources/parts out there.

Regardless of that, I totally support whatever decision you want to make on this front  ^_^ I have a small idea for the reboot btw, since you're adding content. How about a glimpse of the Militant Squirrels? I mean, they show up in literally every other AV game and they're kind of a series staple, so idk would be nice to come across them, even if they're just an easter egg. 

Talia's an even bigger wimp at the beginning of the game here than she is at the beginning of the original version. Seriously, when fighting the flies she would often take of ZERO points off when hitting them (and yes, that's with the dagger equipped).

This is what I was talking about, seems more difficult to battle in the beginning.

2. I'll see if I could add more chests in the woods. Also, could you when the Elden music stops and does not play again?

@callmedan The song does not loop when walking around the village. Granted, it takes quite a few minutes to notice this

I was finally able to play the demo, and let me just say that it was AMAZING. It left me wanting more :rhen_cry:.

#Now here are my opinions:

1. The maps are so spacious! I love them! Everything looks better than the original (probably because they are an entirely different type from each other). And as usual, I think the characters walk way too slow (I'm used to having speed crystal on, like, all the time). So please let there be speed crystals in this game.

2. The cutscenes are BEAUTIFUL! You made the start of the story easier to understand rather than only showing text.

2.1. I really like the first quest. It's a lot like the marionbell quest in Aveyond 1.

3. The carrot. Whenever I replayed AP, I always take the carrot before going to the farmer. It's so cool that I can still do that!

4. When Talia lies to her grandmother about getting named, can you add a little cutscene where it shows Talia's life as a herbalist? or possibly the end of the world? or maybe just a "THE END?" Or, maybe none of the above haha, your choice, of course.

5. When Talia talks to Barbar (is this right?), she asks "May I borrow one of your apprentice?" Shouldn't it be 'apprentices?' She also said, "I need someone escorts me to mainland." I think it should be 'I need someone to escort me to the mainland.'

6. Some dialogue are too fast. I didn't even click and they move to the next dialogue. 

Overall, I still think that it was really great. Other than opinion #5, I don't find anything weird or out of place.

Thank you, Dan, for all your hard work. Looking forward to the completion of this :rhen_love: 

I just finished playing the demo. Excellent work on the map. I loved exploring and was happy you kept the secret area chest. I love the faces of Talia and Devin. The music took me back. It was a wonderful overall experience. I encountered a few errors so I will go ahead and list them.

1. Renald the barkeep says, "Business is good. Thought without the presence of your beautiful grandmother." Thought needs to be changed to though and I would personally add a couple of more periods at the end of the sentence to show him trailing off into thought but that is just my opinion.

2. Talia's profile says she hopes to become a herbalist someday. Should be an herbalist.

3. Hebert, the old man who needs the quill, regives you the quest when you speak to him until you have the quill.

4. "There are 0 more firewoods," for the firewood quest. Firewood would be singular and plural.

5. When lying to your grandma about your naming, "You tell grandma that Avrail said you were to become a herbalist, as you have always wanted to become." Grandma should be capitalised and a herbalist should be an herbalist.

6. Talia asks for one of Barbar's apprentices. "May I borrow one of your apprentice? I need someone escorts me to mainland." A couple of errors in those sentences.

7. The words tend to transition quickly and sometimes I cannot read what is being said.

8. When Devin says, "Let's take the ferry to mainland." I would say let's take the ferry to the mainland.

9. All monsters reappeared on easy mode, not sure if this is intentional in the first area though. I added this because it says on easy mode that most will not respawn.

Overall, very good job. Mostly spelling errors are what I found. This was fun to play and I cannot wait to see more. Thank you so much for my smile.