Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
jjthedark

Tips for making a good rpg.

Hello all, In my down time I like to work on my game i'm building, however, other than my story line I have little direction on where my game is going. I would like to know from you guys what is important to you? Good story line? Quests? Skill? And what is the best way to start things? I have been working on my first little town for some time now cause I keep thinking of new things I want to add. Is this a good way to develop a game or should I get all of the maps built then go back threw refining, adding quests, dialog, etc?

Right now the first game I am working on is "Inxain: Shroud of Darkness", Game two is Inxain: Orphan Army, and Game three is Inxain: Fade-lings. I actually have 7 games in the making, At first I was going to write the books, but I like the idea of playing threw my stories rather than just writing them.

The time frame of the games is to take place in medieval fantasy times.

Any ideas for process of creation would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

-Inxainian Knight   

The best way I've found is to get a good idea of what kind of story you want to tell: who the characters are, how they all fit into the story, what they each bring to the experience. From there, bulletpoint what takes them from the beginning of the story to the end, and what they have to go through to get there - that can be sidequests, if one so prefers, or little story missions in each town, or what have you. The best games take place in a world that makes sense, so don't forget that your characters had lives before the player got involved, and might have lives after the last boss goes down.

Also, seven games is a lot to juggle. The best and only advice I can give there is to take it slow, don't rush anything, and be aware that what you plan as seven games, might turn out to be two. Or five. Or twenty. Stories are living, organic things, and they grow and wither like any houseplant. Feed yours well, and see what blossoms. And most importantly, best of luck. It's not an easy thing to develop a story-based game.

And what is the best way to start things? I have been working on my first little town for some time now cause I keep thinking of new things I want to add. Is this a good way to develop a game or should I get all of the maps built then go back threw refining, adding quests, dialog, etc?

You're doing great so far, I think! What I personally like to do is keep a book and writing/drawing materials near me when I create my games. That way, whenever inspiration strikes me, I can quickly write it down/draw it down before I lose it forever (happened so many times, sigh!)

I think you're on the right track about mapping! What you can do is draft out a rough storyline first on paper/ or sketch, up to you. That way you get a vague idea of how you want your maps to look and feel (peaceful? creepy? bustling?), then you can do a quick map built. Then, yeah, you can go back refining etc!

And yes, for me, story is a huge plus! The reason why the Aveyond series are so well-received is because of its storylines :D

Also, the characters! Well-developed characters are what draws the players in, making them feel represented/ related to. One advice I can give: Use Aveyond 4 as a template in terms of character introduction. As in, all party members are mandatory, but in their own time. Compare AV4 to AV1. AV1 only had Lars, Dameon and John mandatory. So when players don't recruit the rest, we miss out on a lot of development (funny Galahad x Te'ijal scenes/ Elini x John scenes). So I suggest to make your party members all mandatory! ^_^ doing so, you can introduce your characters in their own time (no matter early or late in the game) and the players will have no worry of missing out any conversation/funny dialogue. It is from their "starting point" where you can easily plan out their dialogue and development! :D

The best and only advice I can give there is to take it slow, don't rush anything

^^^ Yup, what they said! Just take your time, enjoy the process, fall in love with your game :)

Wow! thank you Rosetyler, this actually helps out a lot :) thank you! Here are some screen shots so far.

World map:

World+map+screen+shot.png

Title Screen:

Title+screen+shot.png

Intro:

Intro+screen+shot.png

Starting screen AM and PM full working in game clock:

starting+town+screen+shot+AM.png

starting+town+screen+shot+PM.png

Full skills and professions

:

skills+screen+shot.png

professions+screen+shot.png

Plot of the game is even more important than all systems, I really recommend to  try top make those characters feel living. In many rpg's systems might be intriguing, but characters just very basic. If you are able to make a game with really good plot and moderate mechanics, I would most likely play it ;)

The screenshots look really nice. I like the red color scheme for the menus.

Another thing I suggest - a lot of people don't like having to spend ages grinding on monsters in order to level up enough to get to a new area, so make sure leveling up proceeds as naturally as possible.