Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kinnison

DirectX. I need to re-install it or what?

I checked the DirectX in my computer and found out that the system.dll is missing. The computer told me to install the whole thing again and I did. But somehow it never replace the entire thing. I was wondering if it's the cause why my videos aren't running.

Did I make a wrong turn or something? How am I supposed to fix it? X_x

Seems to be very difficult to uninstall directX once you installed it.

What you can do is try to fetch the system.dll from somewhere, but on second thought. What does system.dll has to do with directX?

Well, its the stuff that are in the system32 folder. You know, if there's something in it got deleted, its like the total end for the computer :roll:

System.DLL is actually a component of the .NET Framework.

The reason DirectX may be complaining is because DXDiag uses .NET.

You can install/update your version of .NET here.

If you would like/need to... you can update/reinstall DirectX here.

* If you haven't updated DirectX since before March of 2008... you may want to visit the link. ;)

Oh ok, so it got updated? I doesn't have my computer working back on March so I've missed it. I was just thinking if this has something to do with videos? Just asking

Highly unlikely... unless your video driver also installed a control panel application which was written with .NET and they felt compelled to provide the redistributable along with their product... stranger things have happened... :)

Anyway, i downloaded the DirectX. How do I install them when they extracted a bunch of compressed folders. There's lot of March 2008 DirectX, do I have to install all of them?

Whenever I've downloaded and installed DirectX, there's always been a Setup.exe-type file to run. That takes care of the installing.

Yes I downloaded the file to and had a setup exe, so if you had a lot of files, its wrong on the download, you should delete that stuff and make a new download, try to save as a file this time, when the exe file is down loaded, just click on it and it will install it self, after you can save the file (if you got place) or just delete it, the direct X it works with games mostly, and you need that for playing most of the games, you also have it when you need to simulate reality!

Well the last game that I played with out direct x was Commander Keen in the late 80 ties :D

Edit: Heh, you was right, first when you load it down it looks like this:

dxupset.jpg

when you accept the license the exe file wants you to chose a map to extract the files to, when you do (just make a map any name) then the exe extract the files to that map, and in all those files are a setup exe:

dxupset1.jpg

Just click at that one and the install starts :D