Aveyond Studios Community
Ishti

Rhenegade - an Alternate Canon Fanfic

I'm super excited to share with you all the first four chapters of my new Aveyond 1 fanfiction, "Rhenegade"!  I wanted to see what would happen if I switched up Rhen's attitudes and reactions toward the environments and events in the game.  The plot differs drastically by the third chapter.

My hope with this fic is not only to give Rhen a new lease on life, but also to explore interactions between characters who 1) have little to no canon dialogue, or 2) would have very different relationships outside of canon circumstances.  I intend to cover the ENTIRE plot of Aveyond 1, which will take around 24 chapters, so no detail will be left uncharted.  You can expect to read lots of action and bonding time, the adventures of two separate parties with a couple unanticipated members, and 1,000% more piracy & swashbuckling!

The fanfic is rated T for teenage drinking (not in the original canon), mild violence (similar to canon), and slavery/abuse (similar in scope to canon with some additions).  No NSFW content will ever be present in the fic, but let me know if these elements violate the guidelines and I'll take down my post.

Here is the link to Chapter 1 of Rhenegade!

When Chapter 5 (and subsequent chapters) are finished, I'll update this thread with a link to each latest chapter.  I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it!

I'm back with a huuuuuuge Rhenegade update!  Chapter 5: Land's End is live today!

If you haven't read Rhenegade before, you can access Chapter 1 here!

Chapter 5 is much longer than prior chapters, at around 7500 words.  It features a little bonding, a little combat, some key plot progression, and an ending you probably won't expect!

Woah, that's a long fic :o I will have to make time to read this at one point when I don't have a migraine - the plot bunny seems awesome. I remember seeing this on AO3 when I was browsing the AV archive - it's cool to see someone else on here that uses that website.

Whew!  This chapter is definitely among my favorites, so I'm very excited to announce that I've posted Chapter 6: Lars on AO3!

If you're new to Rhenegade, you can start with Chapter 1 here!

Chapter 6 and Chapter 7 were initially written together, but when I reached around 9,000 words, I decided to chop it in two.  As a result, "Lars" is 5400 words long, and I'll be posting Chapter 7 with some unplanned content sometime in the next couple of days!  Stay tuned!

EDIT: As promised, I just posted Chapter 7: Talia!  I'm glad these ended up being two separate chapters.  I got to add some interactions which I really, really love.  This chapter is around the same length as chapter 6.  There's some plot, some development - I even wrote a song!  Check it out!

Edited by Ishti
Chapter 7 added

Hi again - it's been a while, and after moving to a new apartment, starting a job hunt, and volunteering as business manager for a friend, I finally have a Rhenegade chapter for you. Good news for people who like Lars: it's another Lars chapter! Good news for people who don't like Lars: chapter 9 will NOT be another Lars chapter!

That said, I'm happy to present to you Chapter 8: Elini! This chapter is a bit of a crossroads, setting the framework for how different plot elements will work later on. It's also got some great character moments, including the introduction of one of my all-time favorite characters... guess who!

As always, if you haven't read any Rhenegade before, you can find Chapter 1 here!

--EDIT--

I decided to push out the next couple of chapters! I really want to publish Chapter 10 on Halloween for dramatic reasons.

Therefore, I'm excited to present to you Chapter 9: Piracy! This might actually be my favorite chapter since Chapter 3, and my test reader agrees! It's about 4000 words of swashbuckling and dramatic discovery. Follow Rhen and John's voyage into the wild ocean!

Hopefully I'll be editing this post again in a few days to give you Chapter 10! For now, I hope you enjoy my two favorite pirates.

--EDIT--

And here's your Halloween chapter! It's technically 1 a.m. on November 1st where I am, so let's just pretend I'm posting this from California. It still counts. I wrote my butt off here, and it was a struggle to bring the mess together at the end, but it paid off beautifully.

Here is Chapter 10: Te'ijal (a Lars chapter)! This one's also around 4000 words long. You can of course expect plenty of the title character in this chapter, but there's also an entire arsenal of emotions and character development awaiting you. Some tensions are resolved, while others just begin to show their faces.

Whew! I can't tell you for certain when the next chapter will be out, but keep an eye on this thread. Rhenegade stole my soul, and it won't let go until I finish the entire fic (or get married and become a vampire; whichever comes first.)

Edited by Ishti

Heeeey, everyone! I'm here to tell you about the latest THREE Rhenegade chapters, all published in the past couple weeks, and to make a few announcements! All of these announcements are available to view in the notes for Chapter 12.

First of all, Rhenegade hit 50k!!! Woot! I want to thank my phenomenal test reader, who as of right now does not have an account on the forums. I'd also like to thank everyone who's read and who's reading! It gives me so much joy to bring my stories to you. At this point in the process, most of the pieces are starting to click into place. I know what each character's "ending" will be, and I've already written all of the dialogue for the epilogue. (Plus some concepts for post-canon fic... and a couple Rhenegade-specific character studies... oof!) I also have a rough chapter count: I'm expecting 30, not including the epilogue! And finally, there's a chance those ship tags will be updated sometime in the next few chapters...

If you haven't read Rhenegade before, the link to Chapter 1 is in the previous post in this thread! If you're all up to date, here are the three newest chapters:

Chapter 11: Fellowship, a Lars chapter

Chapter 12: Peter, a Rhen chapter

Chapter 13: Two, a Rhen chapter, published today!

We're getting into the thick of adventure now. Alliances are forming, oaths are sworn, and new quests are surfacing. Rhen is hunting down her own peace and Lars is hot on her heels. Will Rhen meet her pursuer in the verdant highlands, or will she slip out of sight yet again?

Guys... I write too fast.

So! These three chapters introduce some wonkiness into the chronology. Once the next chapter is published, I would be happy to provide a clear image of the timeline. For clarity's sake: Chapter 15 begins, chronologically, before Chapter 14 and Chapter 16 begin, but ends a few hours AFTER Chapter 16 ends. Therefore, I wasn't certain in which order I should publish them! I decided to split the two Rhen chapters, which actually creates a rather satisfying cliffhanger, but note that the events between the two different parties do NOT necessarily occur in any sort of sensible, chronological order in these chapters.

If this is your first time reading Rhenegade, the link to Chapter 1 can be found in the first post in this thread! Otherwise, here are the three latest chapters:

Chapter 14: Galahad, a Rhen chapter

Chapter 15: Teamwork, a Lars chapter

Chapter 16: Juniper, Cedar, Lavender, Sage, a Rhen chapter, published today!

Oh, and... did I mention to keep an eye on the ship tags?

Okayyy, so I'm too freaking EXCITED to wait until I have 3 more chapters to give you!! Here's a dual-part update.

First of all, here's Chapter 17: Apple Juice! There are a lot of content warnings on this one, so please be sure to read them carefully before proceeding. It's a Lars chapter. He's having a rough time.

Second of all, if you've checked Rhenegade in the past couple days, you'll have noticed by now that each chapter is preceded by CUTE LITTLE SPRITES!! I decided I wanted to use sprites to show the primary traveling party members in each chapter, as well as what they look like during that chapter! Some of the sprites come directly from canon, but you'll notice that most of them have been edited, from recolors to outfit swaps to height changes! Each chapter only shows the party members traveling during that chapter, but I made just for you a graphic depicting ALL of the sprites which have been used in Rhenegade as of chapter 17:

allsprites-chap17.png.dc99dbec096482013d87024ee76e87d4.png

Credit for these sprites is due to Aveyond Studios (original outfits and styling), RPG Maker (base sprites and original graphics), sithjester (original sprite elements), @darwin (Frankenspriting - she's to credit for Rhen's new hairstyle, so lots of thanks to her!), and myself (recoloring, Frankenspriting, and being generally obsessive enough to spend hours on this nonsense project). All of these credits can be viewed in the notes for Chapter 1, as well.

The best part is, there are even MORE sprites to come! You won't want to miss all the spritework I've done for the next thirteen chapters. I wish I could post my favorites, but they're quite spoiler-y!

Anyway, stay tuned for more Rhenegade! I might take a break to work on my original fic, just for the next couple weeks, and after that I'm leaving town for a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least one more chapter squeaks through. Rhen is off to hunt for Danny with some surprising new allies at her back, and Lars is... well, you'll see what Lars is up to soon enough!

It's me again! I'm here to let you know that two more chapters are published, and that this will be the LAST Rhenegade update until the new year!! That means, if you were planning on catching all the way up to the latest chapter, this sleepy December stretch is the perfect time to dig in!

If you've already read Apple Juice, then the next chapter you want is Chapter 18: Three. I've started calling Lars' party "the fellowship" and Rhen's party "the crew", so this is a crew chapter!

Finally, the last chapter before my break is Chapter 19: Danny. This is also a crew chapter. The last several chapters have all been around 4k-5k words each; this one is shorter, closer to 3k.

Things have started to fall apart for Lars. Rhen, on the other hand, seems to be nearing the end of her quest, and once she rescues the boy and returns him home, her heroic journey should reach a happy ending ever after. But are things ever quite so simple in the unpredictable world of Aia? 

Two last things before I drop this thread 'til January. First of all, a TREMENDOUSLY HUGE change is coming up VERY soon in Rhenegade - something that completely alters the structure and course of the plot. If you've been following Rhenegade, you probably already have an inkling of what I'm talking about! We're around two-thirds of the way through the story... if you ask me, it's about time. The second thing: keep an eye out for one more alteration to the primary ship tags sometime in the next few chapters - the last ship, but arguably the most important by far.

That's all for now! You'll see me around in the Winter Exchange, but it's time for Rhenegade to hibernate. Have a fantastic December and a happy new year! :kawaii-wave:

Happy new year, everybody! It's your favorite Rhenegade author, back with three more chapters and a whole lot of excitement!

Chapter 20: Fairies, a Fellowship chapter, comes with a content warning for alcohol abuse. The druid delivery service continues doing Rhen's work for her, while making oddly little progress in finding Rhen herself. Lars is burning up.

Chapter 21: Four is next, and it's a Crew chapter. By now, you may have figured out what the numbered chapters mean... but don't be fooled - there's nothing predictable about this rollercoaster chapter!

Chapter 22: Retrospect, another Fellowship chapter, is the last chapter I have for you this evening. Take a look at the content warnings before you proceed. This one's a little different from typical Rhenegade chapters! You won't want to miss what Lars has to say.

Most importantly, I'd like to add: remember how I've been talking about something HUGE coming up in Rhenegade? Well, next time you see me update this thread... something HUGE will have happened in Rhenegade. It's so big, SO exciting, that I'm not even going to let myself publish it for at least a week. I need some serious time to work on it. Some of you might have already guessed what it is! Rest assured, when I publish chapter 23, Rhenegade will never look the same. Don't worry, it's not the ending - Rhenegade will be 30 chapters long, plus an epilogue! - but it is, in some ways, an entirely new beginning.

Anyway, please enjoy the new sprites I worked on for these chapters! My favorite sprites that I've made for any Rhenegade characters are in chapters 20 and 21; I think you'll love 'em, too.

See you on the flip side!

It's finally time, everybody.

I'm proud to present Chapter 23: Union, a chapter which I think needs no further introduction. It's very long, at 7400 words, but this is the climax of a narrative arc which has built for 22 chapters - long, it should be.

(Check out Lars' 22 and 23 sprite, by the way; I added, like, three pixels of stubble. Lookin' good.)

Rhenegade has passed the 100k mark, so I want to give a thousand shout-outs to @darwin, my test-reader and BFF, who has probably read each chapter at least 3 times. For Darwin, Rhenegade has passed the 300k mark. That's some dedication right there.

When next we meet in chapter 24 and onward, I'll be telling you a very different story.

Hi, everyone! I'm going to start posting about these chapters two at a time as we near the grand finale of Rhenegade!

If you've read Union, the next chapter you'll want is Chapter 24: Five. This chapter features both a tense and exhilarating battle scene AND plenty of character moments! It's time for the fellowship and the crew to find their places in a new group dynamic.

Next comes Chapter 25: Devin. This is an emotional chapter. Rhen and Lars are more comfortable in their new group now, but it's time for them to become comfortable with the destinies for which they're meant.

As always, check the content warnings for both chapters before proceeding! Chapter 24 contains my first ever LANGUAGE WARNING, but please rest assured that there will NEVER be slurs used in Rhenegade. I'm retroactively editing a little more mild language into my old chapters, as well as adding mild language warnings to the chapter notes.

The next two chapters are super exciting, so I can't wait til I can post them here for you! Rhenegade is over four-fifths complete... all tensions must be resolved soon.

The next two chapters are already published because I write too much and/or have way too much free time. I've been waiting to write BOTH of these for ages, and I hope it's clear why when you read them!

Chapter 26: What Happens in Sedona is a wild ride of a chapter, in my opinion. A lot of things happen in this chapter, most of them dramatic, all of them significant to how our characters will conceive of their futures.

Chapter 27: Dameon is a dip into the psyche of a character who, up until now, has remained an enigma to his companions and to his audience. You might be shocked by what he has to say in the depths of the Dreamworld.

The next two chapters will also be exciting to write and to read, each for vastly different reasons! Remember, there are only 30 chapters in the core story of Rhenegade (plus, of course, the epilogue). We're almost done.

I thought I already posted about chapter 28, but it seems I was wrong! I'm here today to give you a BUTTLOAD more Rhenegade, 'cause each of these chapters is long enough that they could be considered three or four chapters when combined. As always, take a careful look at the content warnings before proceeding.

Chapter 28: Something Borrowed is about a wedding. It's also about borrowed strength. Rhen's always struggled to release her status as an independent, neutral figure. Let's see what happens when she visits Thais for the first time.

Chapter 29: Reckoning and Resolution is the second-to-last full chapter in Rhenegade. You might recognize the chapter title from an earlier scene. The final battle can't be delayed any longer, nor can our characters' maturation. Far more than one reckoning will be resolved in this climactic, 9k+ chapter!

I can't wait for you all to see how Rhenegade ends in chapter 30. It's blowing my mind that we've come so far, especially looking back at each set of chapters I've posted in this thread. Galahad! Fellowship! Land's End! So long ago, they feel like a different story entirely. The cast of Aveyond was already a firm part of my heart before I started writing Rhenegade, but they've since become me; I'm inseparable from Rhen, John, Lars - even Dameon, whom I used to despise. This has been a life-changing experience.

Okay, enough mush. Please enjoy these chapters!

This is it, guys. Rhenegade is finished. I actually did it. I'm in disbelief right now.

Chapter 30: Princess, Prophet, Pirate, Priest brings some unexpected resolutions and answers a few thematic questions. Our characters have done everything in their power to heal Aia. What comes next?

The epilogue may answer a few of those questions, too.

At 151,472 words, 30 chapters and an epilogue, Rhenegade has changed my life. With the help of @darwin, I wrote all of that. I don't even know what to say at the moment. I've done what I've always wanted to do. I wrote myself in, through the sails and the jokes and the friendships and the heat and the transformations.

Stay tuned for some spinoff fic. I have four pieces planned (Dameon fic, Danny fic, Te'ijalahad fic, and fic involving a Rhenegade OC), plus I'm thinking about writing a serial, monster-of-the-week style fic set post-fic. And then, of course, I'll turn my gaze on Ean's Quest...

When the first spinoff is finished, I'll post it in its own reply, and all subsequent Rhenegade spinoff updates will be edited into that reply. Thanks for coming on this journey with me. I can't wait to show you what else I have in store.

Aaaaaaaa I just finished reading this whole thing and it was marvelous! Ishti, you've got skills. I love your characterization of Te'ijal, the whole split party idea, all the pirate adventures and the ships (in every sense of the word), and all the rest! I also love how Lars was less of a brat but wasn't one-dimensional, and Rhen was just brilliant.

Hidden because it's maaaybe a spoiler?

Spoiler

I liked how you didn't frame Ahriman as the big bad to overcome at the end, but Rhen's unwanted inheritance as the end challenge. This fic seemed to deal with feelings and internal struggles rather than external struggles, and that was so much fun to read. I can't wait to see what you do next!

@Danin - thank you so so so much!! It's a delight to read your comment! Te'ijal was tough to pin down because I have such high expectations for Te’ijal characterization that I worried I'd miss my own mark, haha! My characters seriously became an extension of myself, and it means everything that you love them, too!

Can't spoilertag on my phone, oops, anyway -

You're absolutely right about the primary themes of the fic. I wanted it to be about freedom and forgiveness from a very internal perspective - how the characters could grant those things within and for themselves. For my next project, I'm thinking about something thematically quiiiite the opposite!

Hey, everyone!! The first Rhenegade spinoff is finished! I'm posting it in a spoiler tag because I don't want the ending of Rhenegade to get ruined for anyone. I looooved writing this one, and yeah, it's a little self-indulgent. It's rated M (Mature).

Spoiler

The Twelve Labors of Dameon Maurva is a fic from Dameon's perspective about the first 3 years after the end of Rhenegade. Here, we watch Dameon atone for the wrong he's done under the strict tutelage of the Oracle. It gets shippy.

Stay tuned for more!

Yo!! This is a post to inform everyone that the final edit for Rhenegade is FINISHED! This baby now looks as good as she ever will! Very few changes have been made to the actual story, but the few which have (in addition to the monstrous quantity of excess commas and other stylistic minutiae) make Rhenegade far cleaner and more streamlined. I'll probably not make any more changes from here on out, unless someone notices a typo! 😁

In addition to that, I have a sprite roundup for you! The following image includes every single sprite ever used in Rhenegade, plus the sprites used in the post-Rhenegade fic in the comment above and below. Some of the sprites are identical to those in canon, but most of them have been edited in minor or major ways. As before, credit to RPGMaker, sithjester, @darwin, and myself for what you see below! I don't expect future spinoffs to involve unique sprites, but... well, darn it, I just love making 'em so much. For now, assume that these are ALL of the Rhenegade sprites, full stop! (Spoilers within.)

Spoiler

1449zlz.png

I've got another spinoff for you! This one is unique in that you really don't need to have read Rhenegade for it to work! There's like half a sentence that might be somewhat confusing, but otherwise, this fic could be considered an alternate post-canon story for regular Rhen's Quest!

Anyway, it's Te'ijal and Galahad. You could consider it Te'ijalahad (I wasn't sure whether I should tag the ship or not, so I just did it anyway). It's a little sad.

No spoilers - here's the link! https://archiveofourown.org/works/15353190

EDIT: I forgot that I was gonna put all the spinoffs into a single reply. Uhh... oops? This is probably fine, right?

New spinoff! This one does absolutely require a readthrough of Rhenegade. It takes place between chapters 25 and 26. You can read it after chapter 25, or really anytime after then!

It's about Danny. I always wondered what he gets up to during his adventures away from Clearwater in canon, so now, I've written a bit about him and his struggle to find himself in Rhenegadeverse.

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15775572