Aveyond Studios Community
callmedan

Learning about cultures

So, I'm English so we don't have any clear culture as we are mainly made from other cultures.

First it was the Romans. Then the Germans, then the Vikings, the the Scandinavians.

It's pretty much an amalgamation of other cultures, it's pretty overlooked if this would be in regards to a game as not many in game worlds have that varied pasts. Most games keep it simple really, I suppose it would be hard to infer bias towards certain people in just text though.

For example as an English person, we dislike Wales as sheep shaggers , the French are frogs or wusses, Americans are yanks and speak English wrong. I could go on but it'd be interesting to see inferred culture in a game, I reckon it would help with immersion a lot.

Just adding a bit. My family doesn't celebrate Halloween. Everyone else that I know does, but not us. My church does what they're calling a ' Fall Bash'. I tend to volunteer at those.

I'll be looking for a mooncake. And unlike the rest of everyone I know, I love sushi. White Tuna is one of the best I've tried, but you can't find a lot around here. Basically I'm obsessed with any form of Asian food. That includes tofu. I LOVES ME A GOOD TOFU BURRITO!!!

I'm American, but I totally agree with @Bullyreaper. I hate it when people say that I'm spelling colour, honour, anything like that wrong. I pronounce onion as ungin, but that's just me. Now the yank thing is a bit offensive, because I'm from the south, but I always refer to my family as a bunch of yanks and hicks, so I can't really blame you. Sorry. This is more me than my culture. I rant too much. Espessially about beards. Anyhu... Welcome to the community! 

@Scrivener of the Gods The sweet mooncakes are better. The 'modern' ones like the ones my mum makes are quite salty and not very nice to eat. There are also mooncakes with jelly fillings. I've never tried them, but I've heard that they taste amazing and are aimed towards little children who don't like to eat the regular ones with the Chinese sweet fillings.

@pixelheart Welcome to the forums! Ahhh, that's a strange one xD; But you're still allowed to do that when you're alone, are you not?

@callmedan Malaysia actually isn't just Malays. The government likes to promote something called '1 Malaysia' which means that all of us, no matter what race or culture, will always be one. And so, there are Chinese, Indians and Bumiputera here too. That's why we have so many celebrations and also public holidays for each one. And so, the Mid-Autumn Festival is celebrated here as well! Which answers your question. Yes, my ancestors originated from China and they came here to do business and whatnot.

This is such a beautiful forum :')

I'm half Syrian half Egyptian, but I've never been to any of these two countries. No idea why. Was born in the UAE so clearly don't have a big idea on how my  culture is like 😕 

But my mother tongue language is Arabic! 

On 8/13/2018 at 10:32 PM, Scrivener of the Gods said:

@Honey Butter Chloe. Eureka!! https://www.sidechef.com/recipes/1438/Traditional_Chinese_Mooncakes

Now time to figure out what to substitute for golden syrup and this paste stuff, because we don't have those where I live.

Light corn syrup can be used in place of the golden syrup.

The lotus seed paste is for the filling, so you could use whatever sweet filling you like.  I read that in an "American-ized" version, peanut butter was used as the filling. :)