Aveyond Studios Community
Duffer123

Third Person Controller (Opsive) - Compatibility?

Understood.  I'm holding fire now on any full project development with HK til i have seen and considered at least the first line of RPG actions/support...  I may have a better idea about TPC compatibility then...

That's not to say I won't prep in the meantime with some more HeroActions.

I'll probably need you to ultimately do those 3D movement/AI HeroActions that I put in Requests... ?

Also, just occurred to me, what about a First Person Controller?

@Ant,

I was simply refer there to any first person (perspective) controller rather than a third person controller... so the camera would then be from your character's eyes rather than from behind and/or above your character...

Sorry to semi-necro this topic (I just bought HeroKit!), but I'd be interested in integrating Opsive's third person controller with HeroKit as well. Chris over there is really responsive and accommodating with respect to integration with other assets, so I think he'd be more than happy to help out.

22 minutes ago, ChiaPet said:

Sorry to semi-necro this topic (I just bought HeroKit!), but I'd be interested in integrating Opsive's third person controller with HeroKit as well. Chris over there is really responsive and accommodating with respect to integration with other assets, so I think he'd be more than happy to help out.

We're not a tight-rule lot here, so don't sweat it. I've sent an email to Justin at Opsive. I'm 90% finished with adding HeroKit's core functionality. After that, I'll have time to create custom actions for TPS and UFPS.

Sweet! Fair warning: you are opening Pandora's box here, as it were. Justin has other great assets I think would do well in combination with HeroKit. Behavior Designer is another one, for AI. But I can start a new thread request for that, once I'm ready to tackle it. :) 

@Ant I saw your update on the Opsive TPC integration. It definitely includes a lot of related game system functionality (e.g., items, abilities). The core controller for movement and animation, and probably the camera, are probably the pieces I myself am most interested in, since you are planning RPG systems that overlap with a lot of the other functionality in that asset. 

From my own experiments, I think the best way to integrate a TPC from Opsive is just to attach a hero object to the TPC you've already created. You can then use the hero object to store values for your player character. The TPC is set up to just go, so there really isn't much that you need to do to get it working. You just press play and it works. If anyone has a specific action that would like me to create for TCP, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Still pretty hypothetical here, but an example could be in the AbilityStarted() method of the TPC ability implementation, calling an action on the hero object associated with the game object/character that also has the TPC controller. So maybe the TPC handles animation and movement, but HeroKit does game logic like combat rolls and calculations. 

Just spitballing here. I'm definitely open to suggestions on how best to leverage TPC and HeroKit together. 

Oops, sorry. Been out of pocket the last couple of days. I meant metaphorical die rolls. 

I think TPC integration is going to mean customers can't completely get around coding on their own, and I'm totally okay with that myself. But I do think that being able to reference other hero objects to trigger events or invoke actions could help simplify coding significantly.

Maybe something like creating a hero block that represents a game logic manager. Then, in a TPC custom ability, you'd still rely on TPC itself for animation and movement, but you could use that logic manager to perform combat calculations (e.g., calculate whether an attack ability hit or missed, calculate damage done). 

I suppose there's an argument at that point to just program the game logic stuff from scratch, but I am a terrible coder. I'm much better at thinking through the logic, than I am writing the lines of code to make that logic happen. :) 

Hey there, I just came across this asset and thought it looked pretty interesting. Glad to see there is possible support for TPC as I am a huge supporter of the platform. I have not bought this yet, but am definitely going to look more into it now that it seems like it should work with it. 

I've been focusing most of my time on UFPS when I'm not working on the RPG Editors for HeroKit. If you have a specific TPC request, let me know. 

What I'm discovering is this: HeroKit comes with a few built-in player controllers. They are not as sophisticated as what is available for TPS and UFPS, but you can swap them out for TPC and UFPS. If you do this, you'll want to rely on TPC or UFPS for any player-controller actions (running, jumping, etc). You can use HeroKit to do the other things (pick up keys, unlock doors, and as @ChiaPet mentioned, perform combat calculations). You can also use it as a database. HeroKit comes with a save system. Most things saved in the HeroKit databases (HeroObjects), can be saved in save files and later retrieved by players.