Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
Luz_Melian

Have you been to any conventions (fantasy etc.)?

Conventions and festivals especially with the themes of anime, fantasy, sci-fi, games... I imagine it's something people here would like!
It was a world unknown to me for many years (although I have always liked such books, movies etc.), there weren't such events in my town and I didn't have anywone to go with. 
But lately I've had the opportunity to go to a Star Wars convention and three anime/Japanese culture conventions, and I'm going to another one this weekend!
I've found out that they organize several of anime festivals every year in my country always for 2-3 days with presentations, movies, cosplay. And I'm glad I could have finally attended some! Especially watching the cosplay was awesome. And I'm looking forward to the one that will be this weekend.
Have you been to some and what was your favorite thing about it? Are there such events in your city/country? Have you had a costume/cosplay? (I didn't, it's a lot of effort and needs a lot of time of preparations... I couldn't bring myself to such level of dedication).  Anything interesting you would like to share from the events?

I've been a keen follower of cosplay conventions and bl expos. Lately I haven't been going as much and I don't think I will be frequenting as often as well, since I dun think I can follow up with seasonal anime updates. But I do really love the cosplay community and how passionate everyone is. It's like you just met this stranger at an cosplay event and 5 minutes into talking, you're connected to each other on a spiritual level Face With Tears of Joy on Apple iOS 10.3

I've cosplayed Nezumi (from No. 6) and Princess Mononoke (Studio Ghibli). I made the latter costume from scratch :D and final verdict was that never to sew stuffs myself again and ask for a professional tailor to handle it instead hahahaha

That's awesome! At one of the conventions I attended one of the cosplay competitors was from Princess Mononoke, I liked her a lot.
Unfortunately although there are always many people who have fabulous amazing costumes, very few of them actually participate at the competition! Too bad. I would like to see a lot more of the cosplay performances!
Yes, it must be difficult to sew the costume for someone with not much experience :/ And not just that, also to think of how to create various kinds of accessories, shoes... Even something that seems simple at first thought may become complicated when you think of all the details!

I've always wanted to go to a convention, I may get to go next year though! It's just that every time they happen near me, I'm always busy or out of town >_> 

That's awesome you cosplayed Mononoke! 

There are two anime conventions several hours away from me that I want to go to, but I haven't been to one yet sadly. I want to do a cosplay if I do tho:D. One is mostly booths of people selling their merchandise with some special guests and the other one is all dedicated to existing shows and the companies that produce them set up there with demonstrations and contests and such as far as I remember. 

So I'm back from one that was from Friday to Sunday, it was much fun and great to spend some days in "another world" among people who also enjoy this stuff. We saw a lot of great costumes (not only from anime or Japanese things), also a nice cosplay contest, various presentations and movie projections (this time the main theme was pets and animals, so they chose some animes that go with that). Really enjoyable!

I'll be going to my first fan conventions in 2018, but not as a guest - as a vendor! Well, gruntwork volunteer and business manager FOR a vendor. My friend makes artwork, and I've been booking us low-profile, inexpensive cons where we can sell her stuff. We're hitting Philly Comics & Cosplay Day (not Comic Con) in March, and then Kinda!Con in April. Wizard World Comic Con is in May, but that's actually supposed to be a pretty crappy place for selling art. I wanted to book us more high-profile stuff, especially fantasy & goth gatherings, but those are BANANAS expensive!! You guys think it costs a lot to attend a con? Wait 'til you see the starting booth prices. -_-

I attended a really tiny tabletop con the next county over for like... ten minutes. That's the extent of that. :rolleyes:

Cons tend to overwhelm me when I'm attending. Trying to move through crowds and pick out focal points is just too much for me. Even at the small craft fairs at which we've sold, getting up to go to the bathroom and walking through all the people is disorienting.