Aveyond Studios Community
Zebbi

FPS tutorial?

Question

I was wondering if a quick start tutorial for an FPS is planned? I'm working through the videos and the manual, but it would be cool if you had a tutorial on making a simple FPS camera, enemy, basic gun and an elevator or some such? Loving HK so far!

16 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Ant said:

I'll make one this weekend. I should have something to you by Sunday. Is there a specific type of FPS that you want to emulate?

Wow that would be awesome! I only play the classics like doom, duke and quake, and since it's a proper 3D engine, I think Quake/Dusk would be the best style; nothing toooo fancy at all, just a nice, FPS movement with basic gameplay. That would be absolutely fantastic if you wouldn't mind making one!

Made the first portion of it. There are so many ways this could go. Let's start with bare basics. 

1. Download the ZIP attached here.
  2. Unzip project and import the unity package into your unity project (it's a sample game).
  3. In Unity, go to New Unity Project (HeroKit) > Scenes > City. Open this scene.
  4. In the Hierarchy tab, take a look at three things: Crosshair Canvas, Player, and Enemy. The Player and Enemy are hero objects. All of the logic is on the Player. Observe how I have these two Hero Objects set up. There is a LOT that can be done here, but this is the absolute basics.

To play the game:

• Use your mouse to rotate the camera. Use arrow keys (or WASD) to move the player. Use the left mouse button to shoot. 
  • There is a red block in the game. If you shoot it, it will disappear. 
  • I'm going to put the final version of the tutorial on Youtube, but we have a ways to go. In the next update, I'm going to add fire animations, modify the camera, a few other things. If you have something specific you want me to add, let me know. Small steps to build something large and complex.

FPS-Stage1-Tutorial.unitypackage.zip

21 hours ago, Ant said:

Made the first portion of it. There are so many ways this could go. Let's start with bare basics. 

1. Download the ZIP attached here.
  2. Unzip project and import the unity package into your unity project (it's a sample game).
  3. In Unity, go to New Unity Project (HeroKit) > Scenes > City. Open this scene.
  4. In the Hierarchy tab, take a look at three things: Crosshair Canvas, Player, and Enemy. The Player and Enemy are hero objects. All of the logic is on the Player. Observe how I have these two Hero Objects set up. There is a LOT that can be done here, but this is the absolute basics.

To play the game:

• Use your mouse to rotate the camera. Use arrow keys (or WASD) to move the player. Use the left mouse button to shoot. 
  • There is a red block in the game. If you shoot it, it will disappear. 
  • I'm going to put the final version of the tutorial on Youtube, but we have a ways to go. In the next update, I'm going to add fire animations, modify the camera, a few other things. If you have something specific you want me to add, let me know. Small steps to build something large and complex.

FPS-Stage1-Tutorial.unitypackage.zip

Thank you so much! I've been going through this and I'll let you know how it goes, really appreciate your superb customer support! When I know what I'm doing, I'll definitely review it!! :D

Great. I'll continue to add on to the tutorial until there's something robust. In the meantime, if you run into problems, have feature requests, etc, let me know. I'm building RPG-specific editors next, but I also plan to build the same for FPS games.

12 hours ago, Ant said:

Great. I'll continue to add on to the tutorial until there's something robust. In the meantime, if you run into problems, have feature requests, etc, let me know. I'm building RPG-specific editors next, but I also plan to build the same for FPS games.

I had a couple of ideas for useful additions to the tutorial/example!

• Water/Swimming

• Doors, both opening swing out and in, and sliding up/down or left/right

• Jump pads! (Rise of the triad style)

• Breakable windows

• Teleporters

• Moveable/breakable crates would be quite cool

just a few suggestions!

@Ant how can I set the fall gravity? Setting an action to change the gravity for the player at the start of the level works well enough for the jump, but the fall is always like on the moon. Have I missed a global way of setting up FPS movement values?

@Ant it's actually just a fall from jumping, I added a jump action, and going up can be adjusted, but I'm not sure how to fix falling from a jump! I can't put any buildings in yet. Do you want me to send you a file?