Aveyond Studios Community
Amaranth

Ant's Journal

@Ant,

I'll try... ;)

So allowing the user to define their own stats, attributes, points, class ranks, skills, abilities, whatever in the appropriate database(s) and then allowing them to say what and how many stats of whatever type are effected and however by the item, the affix, the socket... ?

To add to Duffer's suggestion, in general, I would prefer a framework within HeroKit that allows me to define item modifiers in a more freeform manner, rather than having a bunch of pre-defined ones that may or may not be applicable to the game I'm developing. I recognize that by giving more freedom, there are more guard rails that may need to be imposed with respect to the procedural order of implementing these effects. But the tradeoff to me is more than worth it. 

Guys, I've move stats into their own database. So now you don't have to have attack, physical defense, etc. You can have whatever you want. And you can add up to 20 of them. Check out how you can now add them in the Affix Database:

dnUCp1z.png

Did you want to include Health and Mana as stats?

@Ant,

Agree with ChiaPet.  Much better.

The way I'd tackle it is I'd have user defined Stats as you say in a different database.  I'd have Stat sub types there user defined again.  For example, attributes, points, vitals, modifiers, bonuses, resistances etc.

I think you should probably keep Abilities in a separate database to Stats, all user defined, again with user defined sub types such as Abilities, Skills, Powers, Traits, Prayers, Spells etc. 

I say keep Abilities in a separate database to Stats as I think they are conceptually different, they may have progression/experience/ranks/levels and they can be immediate, passive, active, inquisitive etc.

But that means you need to define how the item, affix or socket effects both Stat(s) and then separately? (as separate database) Abilities...

Assuming you're going to cater for Races and Subraces and then Classes and Subclasses (which may have Race, Subraces, Stat or Ability requirements) in separate databases?

Hope some of this makes any kind of sense!  ;)

I'll get to the more complex stats soon. Right now I'll continue to clean up current fields. Tonight I created a separate database for Meters. Meters are stats like Health, Mana, Exp. Meters can have a base, current, and max value.

jAGj1r1.png

Next on the agenda: Database for currency so you can change which currency (or currencies) to assign to an affix.

@Duffer123 will meters work for your vitals?

Next on the short list: elements (needed for resistances). 

Haven't been able to get on much due to having a new job that takes up a lot of my free time, but I did want to pop in and say this is looking great! It seems very organised and easy to read, and I am excited to see what can be done with it!

Glad to see you back, @AK-i. Hope the new job is a good one. 

I've created the Currency Type database. The first value in the list is your primary currency. Here is how you can assign currency to an affix:

OOsSUV4.png

As some of you have mentioned, values assigned to affixes will also need to be available to items directly. I've been thinking about how to solve this problem and I think the answer is to modify HeroKit so that you can have properties under properties. I'm going to explore this issue over the weekend. @Zebbi, I also need to create another UFPS action, so that will be coming soon.

Are you guys familiar with relational and non-relational databases? A HeroObject has a non-relational database attached to it. It’s hierarchical. Instead of adding new levels to this hierarchy, I’m going to use a relational database structure to connect the non-relational databases. So, a group of fields in the affixes database will actually exist in another database called attributes. The attributes database will be linked to both the affixes and items databases. I’m going to test this tonight, but it should work.

@Duffer123, affix type will determine what type of affix we are creating. If an item can have an affix attached to it, you can select the affix type. This will generate a list of affixes of that type. This currated list will appear in a drop-down list in the Items database. The details are still vague until I get affixes properly connected to items. The final structure will also be used for sockets and their attachments. You will get to add your own affix and socket types.

Yup, I figured an RMDB approach would be the easiest/best way to keep all of these cascading steps from being error prone. Define your character attributes first, create item properties that are bound to that list of defined attributes, etc. Glad you are taking the time to experiment and think things through!

@Ant, Thank you! ^^/ It's a job I'm thankful to have!

Sticking to the topic, as someone who'd like the experiment with the concept of using "hours of the day" as a sort of currency, I'm glad to see you can have multiple currencies!

I will admit, I'm a little confused as to what an "affix" is, or what it's supposed to do. Is it just a way of categorizing something? Or is it a little more complicated than that?

They are essentially referring to the modifier type with respect to where the modifier name is displayed, relative to the base item name. For example, if you have a Sword with the prefix modifier "Amazing" and the suffix modifier "Strength" both attached to it, the item's compound name would be "Amazing Sword of Strength." 

For @Ant, would it be too much to ask that changes to the display name be optional when affixes are attached? Please and thank you. :)

At this point, I’m not going to have affixes auto change the name of an item. I was, but the names could get very very long. So instead, the developer will need to follow a naming convention of choice when creating items. If I re-add the ability to generate random items, I’ll need to take another look at auto adding affixes specifically for those items.

@Ant,

A few other things about affixes:-

- especially if you're looking at randomised affixes on items, how will affixes effect core value, renown, rarity, loot weight/chance if finding?; 

- where affixes are placed relative to the core item in position/priority in auto naming and naming conventions;

- a list of affixes that logically are incompatible with the affix in question?; and

- affixes could add to a core description...?

I've spent the week refactoring and cut back at least a hundred lines of code. Databases are now set up so that they can link to one another. I'm going to spend the next day or two working on another UFPS action.

@Duffer123, Affixes will effect core value by adding on to them in a simple manor. So if we have a sword with rarity 5 and an affix called fire with rarity 26, the resulting rarity will be 31. For picking the names, I'd probably add a drop down by each affix and let the player choose "show as prefix", "show as suffix", "don't show", and then show them in the order they were entered in the database. To avoid incompatible affixes, a solution would be to first select the affix group to work with. An affix group contains affixes that can be used together. I agree that it's important that the affixes should add text to the core description. The pieces are falling into place.

@Ant,

Just checking items, stats etc, abilities/skills, classes, races/Subraces can have icons/sprites associated with them in the databases?

Also, can items have HeroObject templates or prefabs associated with them in the databases?

@Duffer123, absolutely. I haven't created these databases yet, but they will be included. Can you give me an example of what you would like to do with a hero object that is attached to an item in the database? Do you want the logic in a hero object to run? Or something else?

I'm about to get started on the next phase of development for items. Each item will get a space where you can add specific types of actions for it. 

Everyone, here is an early WIP of what Actions may look like in the Items Database. I'm going to test adding actions in-line. You'll be able to expand and collapse each item to set the fields. You'll be able to use actions to add values to fields like Health, Mana, Monetary Value, etc. Note that these are the same fields that are available to affixes. If this works out, I'll update the Affixes database to use this layout as well, since it gets rid of lots of clutter. 

t0BAoxI.png

6 hours ago, Ant said:

@Duffer123, absolutely. I haven't created these databases yet, but they will be included. Can you give me an example of what you would like to do with a hero object that is attached to an item in the database? Do you want the logic in a hero object to run? Or something else?

I'm about to get started on the next phase of development for items. Each item will get a space where you can add specific types of actions for it. 

@Ant,

I think I was just thinking about referencing an icon and a mesh/prefab for each item in the item database.  Nothing more.

With affixes, it would be sooo good if they could (per earlier posts on colour) change/shift 1 or 2 colours in the original base icon (especially 2d games) and on any original base mesh.  That saves greatly on resources in game.  So, for example you'd shift silver and grey to gold where the affix (material) was gold....  Also, affixes need to reference effects/particles ie. Flaming sword, dagger of ice...

5 hours ago, Ant said:

Everyone, here is an early WIP of what Actions may look like in the Items Database. I'm going to test adding actions in-line. You'll be able to expand and collapse each item to set the fields. You'll be able to use actions to add values to fields like Health, Mana, Monetary Value, etc. Note that these are the same fields that are available to affixes. If this works out, I'll update the Affixes database to use this layout as well, since it g aets rid of lots of clutter. 

t0BAoxI.png

@Ant,

Looks nice n neat.  I like it. 

What sorts of actions are you envisioning?

Don't forget Item types and sub types and the functionality to filter accordingly - not just at runtime (inventories etc) but also when adding/editing databases... that will further declutter things.

Also, would be cool if a slightly larger preview/thumbnail of the icon was more prominent?

Finally, just to check concepts, sockets are items in their own right?  A type of item?  ie. Crystal, Runestone, Orb, etc?