Aveyond Studios Community
Amaranth

Ant's Journal

I finished with the weapon type database and weapon database tonight. If you want to attach things like sounds and particle effects, you can do this in the actions section. If you've got any questions, post them. Note that I've added weight for objects and % of success to conditions. 

I haven't added a slot size modifier. Instead of doing this, I would like to have the size of the icon dictate how many slots are needed for an object. So, if you have some armor, it could take up 4 menu item slots if the icon is large. Or maybe a sword would take up two slots.

ikfbuXX.png?1

@Ant,

Looking good.  Re the inventory, how are you handling stackable items?  Also, ammo items for weapons like arrows, bolts and bullets etc and associating them with projectile weapons?

Weapons and associated animations... Is that for associated actions?

@Ant,

Along similar lines do/will equippable items (inc weapons and armour, clothing, etc) have associated equipment slots?  So perhaps an equipment slots database.  The way I've seen this done best is then to have items if equipped cover certain equipment slots, or similar...

Added the Armor Database and Armor Type Database. If you see something that you need, let me know. After I've finished the first rough draft of the RPG Editor, I want to go back and give you the ability to group armor into sections. But right now, we have lots of ground to cover. Next up is the Abilities Database (spells).  

BNVFZlt.png?1

SIdoORi.png?1

IQkAL9d.png?1

@Ant,

It's really coming together!  I think all the databases will work well together.  I think you'll definitely need visual ways to filter for many databases where high volumes likely...

[brain dump follows]

With weapons database, I think you've got things like time to draw, rate of fire (for some), acceptable ammunition (for some), range and reach and also alt for thrown (eg spear, dagger) that can be both melee and thrown.

Looking at primary (as opposed to elemental) damage, do we want a min and max or standard value and variance?  How is elemental damage catered for?  Maybe through Affixes?

Thinking about abilities (see below), with weapons, restrictions by race, class or stat requirement?

@Ant,

[further brain dump]

With Abilities database, you could have levelling of various types per ability, class and race restrictions, min stats required or min level on other abilities (to allow for unlockable abilities) also cool down times (if active or instant), again range and reach, valid targets, associated animations, particles.

Abilities I've also seen classified in to the two classics of active (select and cool down, can use up some vitals or temp or permanently reduce or increase stats, could relocate player or npcs) and passive (permanently effect stats, etc) (effects similar to affixes etc) but I've also seen instant (just happens straight away no cool down, often non combat, eg unlock) and transformative (change entity or somehow change or enchant item) and inquiry (get info)... But think they can all fit within Active or Passive.  Active abilities can also cause damage and elemental damage...

In terms of Ability types, suppose you have things like Ability (generic), Skill, Spell, Prayer, Powers, etc.

@Duffer123, glad you noticed ammo was missing. I've added an Ammunition Database and Ammunition Type Database. I've made ammo stackable by default.

0AxlKKK.png?1

There is also now a field in the Weapons Database where you can mark the weapon as something that requires ammunition and the type of ammunition that the weapon can use. I want to keep this to one ammunition type for now (arrows, bolts, bullets). Actions field can be used to customize even further.

An easy way to deal with ammunition might be to have a specific portion of the inventory menu dedicated to it. Maybe how you order the ammunition determines which is used first, second, third (if weapon supports the ammo type). 

Also added a wait between attack field in Weapons. Very much needed. Let me know if you see anything else missing. Up next will be Abilities. I'll have notes, thoughts, etc about them tomorrow.

8fKOJ7N.png?1

@Ant

Looking good!

Don't forget that some other item types may be stackable like potions, apples etc.  In above examples looks like sword stackable and arrow not?

Also, how are you handling damage?  In actions? Is attaching elements enough to dictate how much damage they will cause?

** Crazy thought**... Could you attach HeroVariables and or HeroProperties to Items, Weapons etc? ie.

[+][-] attach HeroProperty

[+][-] attach HeroVariable

With weapons, what about min stats requirements and class and / or race restrictions?

Also, reach of weapons, range of thrown weapons or shooter weapons?

Simple point perhaps, but hopefully user can define their own types as well as elements (in this case weapon types and weapons) within databases?  Also, have you looked at filter option in all databases (by type etc)?

Looking forward to the Abilities database etc.  Starts getting interesting with progression, levelling etc.

@Duffer123, items, weapons, and armor is stackable. Ammo always stacked.

Can you give me an example for hero properties and variables? Right now, you can add variables to each database, but hero properties are reserved.

Min stat requirements is going to be set via class, since some classes might have access to the same item at different levels, etc.

Range is a good idea for distance weapons. I’ll add this to weapons that require ammo.

Elements and all types are defined by designer. You have full control over weapon, armor, item, ammo, etc types. I’ll show you the main control panel soon where you can access all of these databases.

I have been thinking about filters for databases, but this will come later. I have a few ideas, but thoughts are still simmering around how best to implement this feature.

Looking forward to Abilities, too. Complex, but fun.

Finished first draft of the Abilities Database and Abilities Type Database. There are a lot of open variables here and I believe this will be one of the most complex menus in the entire system. There are a lot of things to think about, several which @Duffer123 mentioned:

• Who can an ability be used on? (caster, one enemy, multiple enemies, caster and enemies, etc)
  • How can the ability be used (projectile? radius around caster? directly on target)
  • Should a particle effect be used for both caster (the casting) and ability?
  • Caster may need to have an animation play during casting.
  • Casting may take time.
  • An ability may need time between castings before it can be used again.
  • I need to research particle effects to see how they can be used to send an event when they hit a target.
  • Lots of stuff. 

Here is a basic look at what I've got so far. Keep in mind this is rough, rough draft:

T4wQJXm.png?1

@Ant,

Shaping up... 

Particles.  I suppose you may need to think about particle effects for caster/casting, then for transit and then for impact if hit and for impact if miss/miss targets.  Also consider area of effect/chain effect for targets .... and abilities in which the target is simply the caster...  Also, in terms of selecting particles, think recolouring and element(s).

In terms of effect, your stuff seems to cover one off effects on meters and stats... But what about effects on meters or stats over time?, permanent or temporary effects?

Ability.... Active or Passive or some other?  Item(s) required?  If Active, cool down time? Item(s) required? Or item types maybe? A list?  Similarly, Stats required at certain score? Another list?

Also, required other Ability(s) level/rank/score...

Also, in terms of effects, what about abilities that have levels or ranks or score and upscale by those or by character's general level.

Successful use Vs unsuccessful use of abilities... Chance of success is a big one too... How much general experience by character level is rendered?  How then to handle progression of tiered/ranked abilities and general experience/level and experience on individual abilities.

How do both general Level and then Ability level/rank/score change (progression) chance of success, range/reach, cool down time (if active Ability), duration of effect (if durational) and power (eg where Ability harms, power would be level of damage) - by general Level, Ability Rank/Level/Score.

I understand Race and Class restrictions handled in those databases.

And/so how much then to delegate to associated actions...?

I'd like to propose that for many of these ability parameters, support a formula-building approach to the final number. For example, "damage" to the Health meter has a base value and then you can modify that base value by appending math operations that incorporate other stats (e.g., Strength, Armor). Stats may come from both the ability caster as well as the target to influence the final number. Assuming character levels, class levels, or ability ranks are also considered stats or something equivalent, you could include those as options with these math operations. I recognize this complicates this database quite a bit, but I feel like if you can noodle it out, it will provide a ton of standard RPG functionality, with respect to how abilities are influenced by character stats. 

The various timers associated with an ability are definitely something to consider. There's usually some combination of charging time, casting/executing time, maybe wind-down time, and then a cooldown timer. I'm not sure if you've decided on how you want to incorporate animation into this. Nor do I have any good suggestions off the top of my head right now. :)

Great to see more progress!

I've made a few changes to the ability menu.

• Added field: Time for incantation
  • Added particle effect for projectile
  • Removed variance (you can add it to formula)
  • Removed stats (you can reference them via formula). If you want to temporarily change the stat assigned to the target, attach a condition.
  • Added formula drop-down list. This list is attached to the new Formula Database, where you can create formulas to use with skills. Formulas are not defined yet. I want to build out more of the system before tackling them. 

The menu is getting quite long. I wasn't able to get all of it in this screenshot. If you can think of anything else you think should be added, let me know.

pvM9auq.png?1

@Ant,

This is going to look amazing.  Really looking forwards to details of formulae database... Has some general application too?

Some comments and queries:

- Active or Passive... Is this how ability used in above screening?

- animations associated with Ability;

- area of effect, shape of area of effect, chain effect?;

- number of targets, target limit, per calmedan's comments above;

- duration of effect, effect over time (on meters and stats)?;

- similar but not the same as the above, cool down time before can use ability again... If an Active not a Passive ability... you click an action box UI button, the active ability triggers, the effects last as long as the duration data, but the button cools down before you can click again;

- Chance of success?  Formula?  How would it work with Progression (see below)?  In above screenie is this Base Chance of Effect then potentially effected by formula and Progression (see below);

- Dependencies?  Ability requires minimum meters or stats or general Level or, crucially, Ability levels/ranks;

- big one for me, PROGRESSION.  Can Ability have experience score and levels/ranks and if so how does it progress with formulas? How do different levels of the Ability then effect INDIVIDUAL effects on Meters and Stats? and duration of individual effects.  Chance of success ramping up relatively on formula per Ability Rank/Level; and

- don't individual effects on individual stats or meters each potentially need attached formula to allow for progression and other stuff?

23 hours ago, callmedan said:

I have a few questions. How many targets do we have? Is there random target? Like a ability could damage both enemies and allies.

Targets are:

• Caster
  • Other Characters
  • Caster and Other Characters

I like the idea of having a random target. I'll add these:

• Random (Other Characters)
  • Random (Caster or Other Characters)

@callmedan, can you tell me about the party system you plan to have with your game? Will it be one player party system? Multiple party system (like Aveyond)? 

@Duffer123, I've got a few answers and questions.

- Active or Passive... Is this how ability used in above screening?

I need to clarify on this. When you say passive, do you mean something that affects the target after the attack? For example, being slowly poisoned after getting hit with a poison attack? If not, can you tell me more about passive abilities?

- animations associated with Ability;

How does this sound:

• Optional animation to prepare ability
  • Optional animation to cast

- area of effect, shape of area of effect, chain effect?

I plan to use a radius, so a simple circle (see next quote notes). By chain effect, do you mean that an ability can trigger other abilities when used? For example, an ability called Icy Fire might first cause a fireball, followed up by an ice shard attack?

- number of targets, target limit, per calmedan's comments above;

II have a field called "How ability is used" with these options:
  • Projectile launched at target (one target)
  • Everything within radius around caster (multiple targets)
  • Directly on target (one target)
Will these work for you? If you need something else, can you give me an example scenario? I can add a target limit, but I want to make sure we're on the same page of thought.

- duration of effect, effect over time (on meters and stats)?

Conditions will handle this elegantly. You can attach them to an ability. 

similar but not the same as the above, cool down time before can use ability again.

"Pause time between use" field should cover this one.

- Chance of success?  Formula?  How would it work with Progression (see below)?  In above screenie is this Base Chance of Effect then potentially effected by formula and Progression (see below);

I've added notes about progression below and how I think it can be handle with less complexity. 

The base chance of effect is indeed something that can be passed into a formula. Not sure about progression. Let's discuss it below.

- Dependencies?  Ability requires minimum meters or stats or general Level or, crucially, Ability levels/ranks;

This is something we'll need to set elsewhere because it's possible that different classes could require different min meters/stats, etc. Most likely, this will happen in the Class database. For example, a Wizard class might be able use a Firestorm ability at level 5, wisdom stat at 24. A Paladin might be able to use the same ability at level 10, wisdom stat 32. Class is going to handle a lot of things and this is likely to be the home for these settings.

- big one for me, PROGRESSION.  Can Ability have experience score and levels/ranks and if so how does it progress with formulas? How do different levels of the Ability then effect INDIVIDUAL effects on Meters and Stats? and duration of individual effects.  Chance of success ramping up relatively on formula per Ability Rank/Level; and

I like this idea. But I also see lots of complexity with this. Would this work:

• An ability has an exp meter attached to it. As you use the skill, the exp meter fills up. When it reaches max...
  • You select another ability to take it's place. (example Ice 1 becomes Ice 2).
  • This will give the illusion of a level system, but also give you more interesting ways to morph skills. And you'll be able to customize meters, stats, and formulas for each level of an ability.
  • If we do this, I can add an additional ability type drop-down list. (Ex: Spells - > Ice 1). So, if you create Ice 1, Ice 2, and Ice 3, you would assign Ice 2 and Ice 3 to Ice 1 in the drop down list. Then, when you use a filter to search for anything linked to Ice 1, all three of the Ice abilities will appear.

- don't individual effects on individual stats or meters each potentially need attached formula to allow for progression and other stuff?

Maybe. Can you give me a scenario?

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Targets are:

• Caster
  • Other Characters
  • Caster and Other Characters

I like the idea of having a random target. I'll add these:

• Random (Other Characters)
  • Random (Caster or Other Characters)

@callmedan, can you tell me about the party system you plan to have with your game? Will it be one player party system? Multiple party system (like Aveyond)? 

That's nice :rhen_love: And I prefer multiple party system since it's easier to me to develop characters.