Ant's Journal

I've added a few requests:

• You can now have the following options for weapons, armor, and abilities:
    • Show All - shows all weapons
    • Show Selected - shows only weapons that this class can equip
    • Show Not Selected - shows only weapons that this class cannot equip
  • Meters and Stats work as follows:
    • You can set the starting value
    • You can attach a formula that will modify a stat or meter max when the character levels up

Next steps: 

• Creating class type, race, and race type. Most of the fields will be reused.

EJhVhLc.png?1

@Ant,

How are you going to tackle the whole thorny issue of temporary, over time and straight modifiers to meters, attributes/stats and abilities?

Worth checking out the free CharacterStats asset on the Asset Store (and associated YouTube vids).  His coding ideas are v clever and basically allow for any number of modifiers on any number of stats...

@Duffer123, this is something that I'll address once the databases are finished. This is probably something that will closely be tied to formulas.

I finished refactoring a number of existing fields this weekend with the bitmasks. Currently, I'm adding databases for element types and condition types. 

11 minutes ago, Ant said:

Fields are all refactored. Adding the next databases should be a breeze. I'll update everyone soon.

@Ant,

Thought you'd been quiet awhile...

Wows.  Interested to know what you mean by 'fields are all refactored'...?

Do tell more....  ;)

Found a lot of fields that were re-used on multiple forms. Gathered these fields and added them to a general re-use library. So now, if I make a change to a commonly used field on one form, it’s updated on all forms.

Most form files went from 500+ lines of code to 50.

When I build a system for the first time, I’m not 100% certain how I want to code it all, so I experiment, find ways to make it work. After I have enough pieces of the puzzle to see patterns immerge, I return to the code and replace redundant code with a link to one chunk of code.

I hate clutter in my code and this is a step I always take at regular intervals during development to keep a project clean and performant.

Class, Subclass, Race, Subrace, and Alignment, Condition Type, and Element Type databases are finished. I'll have screenshots for everyone to review tomorrow. Once I have your feedback and have made final changes, it will be time to focus on:

Character Database

Enemy Database

Have some other databases you want added? Let me know.

Nice! Can't wait to see it!

I definitely feel like the databases are a nice way to keep things organised, and are very flexible. I think I've said this already, but I love how someone could make a D&D inspired system easily from this if they wanted to.

@AK-i, yes, you could create this yourself with HeroKit. This will be a good base project for anyone who wants to take that route.

I've attached several new database forms. Most them share the same base fields. If you have any requests, let me know. 

Class Database:

Spoiler

2xg6meC.png?1

Subclass Database:

Spoiler

WJAh2xR.png?1

Race Database (Subrace Database looks just the same, except with a Race drop-down list at the top)

Spoiler

EA5eO0u.png?1

Alignment Database

Spoiler

REbsE3Q.png?1

@Ant looks really awesome! I have a couple questions based on inspecting those amazing screenshots:

- For weapons, armor, and abilities at least, are there also level requirements or some other way to designate at what level a character of that class/subclass/race/subrace would gain access? For abilities in particular, I think many game concepts would want to stagger ability acquisition throughout the leveling process. For weapons and armor, I actually think that's also fairly common, where a character unlocks new weapon or armor types at higher levels. 

- Since class/subclass/race/subrace can all theoretically define starting max parameters or formulae for the same meters, what happens if a character has conflicting meter info, based on the combination of class/subclass/race/subrace chosen? 

@ChiaPet, I'll add the ability to attach lowest level to weapons, armor, and abilities. When settings conflict, the least restrictive values will be used. 

One example:
Race: Elf > [max mana: 25]
Subrace: Night Elf > [max mana: 30]
Result: max mana: 30

Another example:
Class: Knight > [x] Sword of Power
Class: Red Knight > [ ] Sword of Power
Result: [x] Sword of Power

Formulas will need to be handled differently. Most likely, the various values will be added together. 

Could you provide more details about how formulas for meters and attributes work? I'm trying to gauge how flexible formula building can be. If I think about old RPG Maker examples, you could use curves/graphs for these types of stats to scale them from a starting value at level 1 to a max value at level <#> in a non-linear fashion. Would be amazing if that were similarly possible here, although I'm guessing that could be a bit tricky to implement.

21 hours ago, ChiaPet said:

Could you provide more details about how formulas for meters and attributes work? I'm trying to gauge how flexible formula building can be. If I think about old RPG Maker examples, you could use curves/graphs for these types of stats to scale them from a starting value at level 1 to a max value at level <#> in a non-linear fashion. Would be amazing if that were similarly possible here, although I'm guessing that could be a bit tricky to implement.

I should be able to implement these types of formulas. Let me take a look at Unity's graph capabilities. Perhaps you could choose between a written formula and a graph.

Created the Character Type database tonight. In this database, you can create types such as: hero, npc, enemy. Tomorrow, I'm going to sketch out what should go in the Character database. Here's what I've got so far:

• Character Type
  • Character Name & Description
  • Starting Class
  • Starting Equipment (Weapon & Armor)
  • Starting Abilities

I have a few odds and ends to take care of in the previous databases as well.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:43 PM, Duffer123 said:

@Ant,

Remind me, with the X allowed for this lists is this say Weapon Types or just Weapons?  If the latter, better to do a prohibited list?

You'll first choose a weapon type. All of the weapons of that type will appear in a list. If a weapon's checkbox is marked, it can be used. I also added another selection list so that you can choose to display all weapons, weapons that can be equipped, or weapons that can't be equipped. 

Thanks for those extras. Added a few more things:

• Character Type
  • Character Name & Description
  • Starting Equipment (Weapon & Armor & Ammunition)
  • Starting Abilities
  • Starting Class & Subclass
  • Starting Race & Subrace
  • Starting Alignment
  • Starting Stats

I've also updated the roadmap. There are a few more databases that we'll need (general settings, shops, etc)