Aveyond Studios Community
Ant

Ant's Journal

@Ant,

Starting Stats, Abilities, meters etc.. allow for starting minimum or starting bonus per Race, Subrace, Class etc.

Think you also need a database covering (similar to Class or Race with Types) custom things like say Star Sign, Nationality etc up to programmer.

That might also cover Religions.  Otherwise religions database.  Character religion.  Thinking Gods n Pantheons etc with most classic RPGs...

Reputations database?

Have you done Alignments database?

Starting Alignments?  That's v useful if can have more than one.  I.e. lawful to chaos, good to evil, law abiding to crime, nature to science etc.

Brushing up here a bit...

Sorry didn't think of it before recently but ... Loot weight (chance) and loot tables...?

Also, with Items, Inc Weapons etc, did you cover off their weight and, optionally, how many squares X and Y they cover when contained?  Also, container items? Also, if equippable, to what equipment slots?

Equipment Slot database?

@Duffer123

For those first few it sounds like sort of a miscellaneous database? Like... Databases that cover things that are not common to all RPGS but are flexible.

That might also be something to cover in a tutorial, ie. How to make a custom database. Cause I'm sure we could think of infinite possibilities, but then we'd be filling the kit with things not everyone will want or need. It might be better to look into how people can make their own database at that point.

The inventory stuff is a good point, though! While I don't think I'd ever use a weight system, I could see myself using a max number system, which could double as a weight system if your max number was a weight. (And if you're not interested in that, set the weight of your items to 1).

That said the RE4 style "fit in a grid" system might not work for databases. That feels more like a mini game that doubles as an inventory left up to UI and hitboxes. (If that's what you meant? I apologise if I misunderstood!)

@Ant

As I mentioned to Duffer, it might be good to have some sort of way to make custom databases. Be it an easy to follow coding tutorial or some sort of precoded system. I'm sure people would want a precoded system, but if you make a tutorial that makes it easy to find where things need to be changed and added, I could see that being helpful too.

@Ant, @AK-i,

If custom databases could be created in HeroKit that would also single-handedly both massively enhance the flexibility of the product and do away with concerns re lack of Arrays and Lists.

Rarity and Chance to loot pretty essential for loot tables and these and value need to be alterable from items, sockets and affixes.

Inventory weight for each item and 2d xy size for each item are key to inventory management.

@Duffer123

For inventories, I wouldn't forget stackability! If we're talking inventory space.

But yeah, I feel like flexibility is key here. Don't want to pigeon hole the add-on into only being good for very specific systems. Nor do I want to put all the responsibility on Ant to make every single type of database imaginable, that just seems unreasonable to me. :'D Plus being able to make our own would be good if we wanted to do something NOT typical of RPGS.

(For Example: I'd like to create a sort of database that Let's people customize swords for different abilities and effects. I could probably finagle one of the current systems to work with what I have in mind, but being able to make my own would be pretty nice!)

I’ve been thinking about HeroKit and the RPG Addon. This is what I’m going to do:

When HeroKit RPG is finished, I’m going to re-name HeroKit on the asset store to HeroKit RPG. If I create any new addons after that, like HeroKit JRPG or HeroKit Visual Novel, each of these will contain the core HeroKit libraries. I’ll structure the project so that you can have all of these genre-specific addons at the same time.

I love this! Would love for you to make other genre-specific addons. 

I'll be interested in seeing how you organize (and potentially splinter off) the various RPG game types. 3D vs 2D and turn-based vs real-time are a rather fundamental 2x2 matrix of choices. Also, whether to use physics, which would add more action/platformer-like gameplay, whether 3D or 2D. 

I feel like a lot of the RPG databases you're building are universal, but certain aspects within those databases, like the types of abilities you can create, as well as how characters are controlled (both via input and AI) will be very different, depending on how you go with those abovementioned choices. Maybe customers should specify those big decisions at the beginning, and then HeroKit RPG associates or unlocks certain functionality within the editor UI, based on those assumptions. 

That might also allow you to more cleanly draw the line at where you can/should stop with this initial implementation and where you would create new addons. I worry trying to accommodate all of these RPG subgenres in this initial implementation will take too long and too much work. 

So you would buy them all separately? Or it will be Hero Kit RPG on the store until the others are finished? I'm not quite sure I understand the explanation.

(also this may be a silly question, but what would be the difference between RPG and JRPG in terms of Hero kit?)

@AK-i I think what Ant means is that the base asset, currently named HeroKit, will become HeroKit RPG, once the RPG systems are ready, rather than him spinning it off into its own addon. That way, the base asset is both the core HeroKit libraries/systems + the RPG-specific addon functionality, so customers can more easily create a game from the start. Right now, there's still a lot of data design and potentially programming work that needs to be done with just HeroKit as-is (even if that work is much easier, with the flexibility of the asset). 

Other genre-specific assets under the HeroKit name would then be separate assets, but would also include the base HeroKit libraries (which exist in the tool today). So they would all be separate, independent assets, but built on the same core HeroKit concept. 

I have a similar question as yours about RPG vs JRPG. I actually think "JRPG" may not be a good moniker, since it seems more related to non-gameplay aspects of the game (e.g., quirky characters, grand/epic plotlines). As I noted above, I think Ant should probably stick with a specific subgenre of RPG (probably real-time, 3D?) for this first addon/implementation, then either create other assets for those other RPG types (turn-based, 2D, etc.) or implement them as updates to the existing asset (and with some clear guard rails that help separate conflicting gameplay approaches).

Ant, feel free to correct my logic. :P

@Ant,

Looking forward to next screenies.  It's been a marathon for you but sure it will be worth it!

I imagine the end RPG HeroKit product will also include a 'fair few' additional HeroActions... ;)

Looking forward also to seeing your thinking on formulae and, maybe, custom databases.

Okay everyone, here is the next screenshot for the Character Database.

This is what you can do

• Select the character type. This could be hero, monster, npc, etc.
  • Name & description
  • Starting class (main class and subclass)
  • Starting race (main race and subrace)
  • Starting alignment
  • Starting weapon and equipment
  • Starting abilities.
  • Starting stats, and meters (checkbox for the ones you want character to use)

4eNQedX.png?1

I've begun the process of refining the system. I'll be posting tickets in the bug reporting forum soon. There are lots of small details that need to be addressed. Also, I'm not 100% happy with how stats and meters are managed in the Character, Class, and Race databases. They will likely be tweaked.

Looks really great! One question about character name: is it possible to assign that to a variable? That way, players can name characters (or at least their main player character, which is the biggest use case in my mind). 

For the starting abilities, stats, and meters, I'm assuming for character-specific values here, it combines similarly with how you described it for classes/subclasses and races/subraces?

@ChiaPet, you will absolutely be able to change the character name when desired.  You can select as many starting abilities as you want. You can select which stats and meters the character will use, but the default values for these fields will be determined by the class/subclass/race/subrace. The highest value is used if these values conflict. 

Currently, I'm planning the next major phase of the project. There are odds and ends to clean up with the RPG databases (show items of specific type only) and a few open issues that I want to revisit after I've connected the databases to live game data (flesh out formulas and formula graphs). 

I believe I've found a very simply way to attach a character via hero action to a hero object. I'm looking at the idea from a few different angles this week and thinking about what could go wrong with this design. 

After things are polished up and I've created a way for you to connect a character in the character database to a hero object in the scene, I'll tackle a few actions specifically for HeroKit RPG (ex. change character name). After that, my focus will be on menus and then on skills. Skills may be complex.

This week, I'm building the unit tests for the databases. Unit tests are a quick way to check to make sure that everything is working properly if I make changes to the system down the line. Getting ready to tackle the in-game side of development, but taking a breather this week. The databases were a big project. I'm looking forward to getting things done as I have game ideas that need this add-on soon.

My break is now over and I’m back to work and feeling refreshed. First order of business this weekend: update HeroKit core with some bug fixes and add the ability to swap the default menu layouts with your own on the main menu page.

I will be back to RPG-specific features soon. I am eager to port some older RPG games to Unity, so have no fear that this is a top priority.

I'm currently adding a HeroKit Settings Database. This will allow HeroKit to save global settings. Currently, HeroKit has a Settings Menu, but this has only been used to refresh hero objects,  delete save files and other tasks that don't require saving data. 

Once I have this database set up, I'll add the ability to attach your own menu templates and actions so that you can do this in-game as well. 

1 hour ago, Ant said:

I'm currently adding a HeroKit Settings Database. This will allow HeroKit to save global settings. Currently, HeroKit has a Settings Menu, but this has only been used to refresh hero objects,  delete save files and other tasks that don't require saving data. 

Once I have this database set up, I'll add the ability to attach your own menu templates and actions so that you can do this in-game as well. 

@Ant - coming along nicely...  ;)

I've got the custom menu system rigged up and working on both the editor and in-game side. Next step is to update all of the actions with the new code. This part is very easy, but will require some time because there are a lot of actions to update. Guesstimate time of finish: Friday.

I hit a snag this week when I discovered some critical 2D actions were missing this week (thanks @Guille for pointing them out). They've been added, along with some actions that were needed to let you swap menu skins on the fly during gameplay. I've just submitted a new version of HeroKit to the asset store with these new features.

One note: I'm going to start labeling new actions with [BETA]. If no one reports issues w/in a month, I'll remove the [BETA] tag. 

Getting back to RPG features next week.