Aveyond Studios Community
HarbingerLady

What culture Aveyond 1 cities are based on

Hi, I would like to know just what kinds of culture the cities in Aveyond 1 are based on? For example, Veldt's architecture seems like it is based on Middle East, while Sedona from European, as is Thais (weirdly the innkeeper and male merchants are using something like blue chinese clothing).  But what about Ghalarah, Veldarah, other cities? When I see the smallfolks' rooftop, it looks like chinese architecture, but there are also flat rooftops, which are not. The paper walls on some of the noble houses are like from chinese or japanese, but the palace doesn't have that chinese or japanese touches (the window actually looks more like from India or middle east, and those columns...yeah). For Ghalarah it is more difficult. I can't decide what the outer facade is based on. The peacock fan looked like it came from India... Perhaps the roofs are using bamboos? Problem is, there is no bamboo tree in Ghalarah. There are coconut trees, but no bamboos. 

Is there perhaps already a guide for it? I want to know if there is, it will be so much easier to imagine Aveyond world if it is clearer. Not just the architecture, but also the clothing, food, etc.

@HarbingerLady With Veldt, you're probably right. Sedona, I would think so. Now with Thais, you pose an interesting question. I always thought of those as low pixel button downs, but I could be wrong. Veldarah and Ghalarah I think are both eastern styled in general, that being anywhere East of Europe. Ghalarah is in Veldarah's empire, so they would be the same. The bamboo thought. I don't know. Bamboo could be hidden in the swamp though. There's tons of it in the eastern United States.

Probably using the same character several times, so they don't need to make more characters than needed :D I have noticed that male character in the blue chinese clothing in a different city after I checked again.

As for Veldarah and Ghalarah, I guess it is an amalgam.

So in Aveyond 1, is the Eastern Empire the only kingdom that allowed slavery, or in other kingdoms it happened too, but it was off screen? Afterall there is no need to make slavery background in those kingdoms in the game except for in the Eastern Empire because Rhen was a slave there. 

Veldarah and Ghalarah are Eastern, like the name of the continent they're on suggests. Some combination of South Asia, the Orient, and Southeast Asia like a Indonesia I think...cities on the Western continent are all generic European, Veldt is obviously Middle East/North Africa, and the Northern continent is maybe Siberian/Inuit/something of the like? Mysten Far seems inspired he Greco-Roman architecture, or at least the fantasy version of that. The islands seem to be kind of South Pacific, but less tropical and more desert. 

What about the climates? Veldarah is in tropical climate? But is it only for Veldarah n Ghalarah? What about for the Southern part, the Halloween Hills and the Lands End? Thais, well, Thais is unknown as it is now called the Blasted Land. The West Island has temperate climate, all or just part of it? The North and South islands are kind of obvious. 

Hmm, I wonder why they didn't base the Eastern Empire on Greco-Roman architecture as that civilization had slavery. I don't think the Eastern countries in real life had slavery... But then again, history is not my forte. 

Wait, Veldarah and Ghalarah are Eastern names? It's not Chinese, Japanese or Indonesian names, but I don't know about other countries. 

I don't know enough about Chinese history to comment on the slaves as cattle thing, but I am pretty sure slavery has existed in almost every culture at some point in time.

I agree with most of the comments on which culture places are based on, but I would add that the Northern Isle also has some definite European influences.

For climate, Veldarah and Ghalarah are tropical but on the swamp end of tropical (I don't know the technical term haha but it's definitely not all palm trees and flowers like some people associate with tropical). (Also on the subject of the names being Eastern I think Moonie just meant the isle they're on is called Eastern Isle, but idk). 

The Wildwoods, Halloween Hills, and Land's End are definitely different. You have to go up through the mountains to get to the Wildwoods so it makes sense that it would be cooler up there; again, don't know the technical term, but it probably snows there in the winter and all the snow melts in the summer, that sort of thing. Halloween Hills is a mystical eternal Halloween type place so I'm not sure we really have a word for that kind of climate? I imagine it has stereotypical October weather haha. And Land's end is sort of in the valley of Mount Orion so it's probably warmer and gets frequent rain from being so close to the coast. 

The northern part of the Western Isle seems cooler to me but maybe that's just the coloring of the maps. The southern half does seem to be lower elevation, though.

But at the end of the day I think you can make up whatever you want for culture/climate/etc, because while the places are loosely based on real-life places, they're meant to exist in a separate world so they aren't meant to be exactly like the real-life places. (Which explains the overlap in the cultural influences.)