Aveyond Studios Community
JohnDose

QTE and Multiplayer System

HI Ant, what a wonderful asset you have made. This asset definitely can save ton of time to do my games.

Back to the topic, is that you will looking for doing something like QTE and Multiplayer System in this game?

Absolutely (on the formulas)! I will warn you that I’m taking a break from development until August/September (job/vacation stuff), but I can’t wait to get back to finishing this feature.

Multiplayer could be a huge project. What is most likely to happen is that I will let someone build out this feature and sell it themselves.

@Ant But what would QTE(quick time event)be estimated?Do you currently have planned to finished after development break?

Also according with your roadmap, some of it will be really helpful if you develop:

System Database

Connect Character in database to Hero Object via Action

Create core HeroKit RPG specific Actions for Characters

Connect Items and Equipment Databases to Items Menu

Create more HeroKit RPG specific Actions for Items and Equipment

Connect Skills to Hero Objects

QTE

Multiplayer system

These will definitely be game change, when it developed, it probably become one and only asset we need to develop a RPG game in Unity!

I just want to reiterate that multiplayer for a game toolkit like this one is a massive undertaking, so I would not expect it to be something that will be added in the near future or as part of a free update. Multiplayer game logic/code requires a fundamentally different approach from single player right now in pretty much any game engine (not just Unity), so building it into a toolkit where the customer doesn't have to understand the difference makes it much more challenging for the toolkit developer. 

It looks like Unity's future roadmap for ECS includes a new way to handle multiplayer in a more unified/simplified manner with writing single player games, so it won't be as difficult of a shift between the two. If that really ends up being true, it might be more feasible to implement multiplayer systems in something like HeroKit after that happens--although that would also mean converting at least some of the core structure of HeroKit to leverage ECS. That is likely also a massive undertaking. 

8 hours ago, ChiaPet said:

I just want to reiterate that multiplayer for a game toolkit like this one is a massive undertaking, so I would not expect it to be something that will be added in the near future or as part of a free update. Multiplayer game logic/code requires a fundamentally different approach from single player right now in pretty much any game engine (not just Unity), so building it into a toolkit where the customer doesn't have to understand the difference makes it much more challenging for the toolkit developer. 

It looks like Unity's future roadmap for ECS includes a new way to handle multiplayer in a more unified/simplified manner with writing single player games, so it won't be as difficult of a shift between the two. If that really ends up being true, it might be more feasible to implement multiplayer systems in something like HeroKit after that happens--although that would also mean converting at least some of the core structure of HeroKit to leverage ECS. That is likely also a massive undertaking. 

This is fine even that multiplayer system would not be inplemented in the near future. That is just a suggestion.

I am more asking for QTE system, which is really great game mechanic, that not many asset have done. It can definitely make HeroKit become more attractive.

However, since I am very new to game develop. According to your word, it that mean develop a multiplay system in Unity cannot use the method which is build everything then figure out the server?It need to have some certain code method with every function I want to make in my game?So, is that I should learn ECS from now?

15 hours ago, JohnDose said:

However, since I am very new to game develop. According to your word, it that mean develop a multiplay system in Unity cannot use the method which is build everything then figure out the server?It need to have some certain code method with every function I want to make in my game?So, is that I should learn ECS from now?

I recommend you do a lot of your own independent research into 1) multiplayer game programming in general and 2) options for multiplayer implementation in Unity. I think you'll quickly see how difficult it is to both understand and implement multiplayer features if you are a hobbyist developer who is new to programming, especially if you want to have something that approaches MMO-style games (where the server helps prevent players from cheating). If you are fully reliant on Ant's toolkit for developing your game, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to program multiplayer on your own. 

I say all of this as someone else who has poor programming skills and big game development dreams. :) 

@JohnDose

I imagine QTEs would involve the timeline and animations and possibly cinemacine, which I know is on the "research" list of the Roadmap.

How were you planning on using them? Full on cinematic QTEs or like... In game dodge roll type things?

14 hours ago, ChiaPet said:

I recommend you do a lot of your own independent research into 1) multiplayer game programming in general and 2) options for multiplayer implementation in Unity. I think you'll quickly see how difficult it is to both understand and implement multiplayer features if you are a hobbyist developer who is new to programming, especially if you want to have something that approaches MMO-style games (where the server helps prevent players from cheating). If you are fully reliant on Ant's toolkit for developing your game, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to program multiplayer on your own. 

I say all of this as someone else who has poor programming skills and big game development dreams. :) 

Sure, I understand MMO system would be very difficult, even though I am just new for game development, I will try my best to finish and code my game as well as possible. This type of multiplayer game system research I have already read a lot of it. However, for how lazy person I am, if there have any asset can be reduce amount of time to finish my game, I definitely will choose it and that is what asset for.

As someone else who has poor programming skills and big game development dreams--Me, I am much appreciate that have HeroKit which make me reduce bunch of time to finish my game!This thread is just a suggestion, especially MMO system. But QTE will be great if it achieved.

5 hours ago, AK-i said:

@JohnDose

I imagine QTEs would involve the timeline and animations and possibly cinemacine, which I know is on the "research" list of the Roadmap.

How were you planning on using them? Full on cinematic QTEs or like... In game dodge roll type things?

I did not realize that. For QTE system, in my thought, it is just as you said---"in game dodge roll type things", which is like a slow motion scene and let player to perform some action, dodge, ability, blocked something like that.

@JohnDose

I haven't done much research on QTEs, but I'd imagine something like that might involve some sort of trigger at a point in an animation that both turns on the QTE/Slo-mo AND turns it off if the QTE is missed.

Something like "If [animation] is at [x] seconds then set [QTE button/prompt] active."
Then the same to deactivate it.
Then also "If [QTE button/prompt] is active then [QTE Action] is active, Else it is inactive"

of course something like that will probably be harder to actually code, but I imagine that's what the logic of it would be.

I don't know how Ant plans to incorporate time line stuff, but it doesn't hurt to consider how it will work in the long run!

29 minutes ago, AK-i said:

@JohnDose

I haven't done much research on QTEs, but I'd imagine something like that might involve some sort of trigger at a point in an animation that both turns on the QTE/Slo-mo AND turns it off if the QTE is missed.

Something like "If [animation] is at [x] seconds then set [QTE button/prompt] active."
Then the same to deactivate it.
Then also "If [QTE button/prompt] is active then [QTE Action] is active, Else it is inactive"

of course something like that will probably be harder to actually code, but I imagine that's what the logic of it would be.

I don't know how Ant plans to incorporate time line stuff, but it doesn't hurt to consider how it will work in the long run!

QTE can be formed in different time and aspect I think, just depend how you want to use it. But I think the main point of QTE is "a simple input in specific timing to perform some certain movement", and for more visual enjoyment, mostly add some animation or slow motion.

QTE often involve in console game, which definitely is major indie or hobbyist developer aiming for. The QTE system is not common in asset which make it have much more value.

No matter what, as you said, QTE must be benefit in the long run in many aspect, definite make herokit into the next level.