Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
kaz

The Agas Saga

@kaz: So you didn't go and learn elfish after all... Because that's totally interesting. LOL. Too bad your book's out of print. I would have liked to see it. Is it a story or a non-fiction thing?

@dad0303: Please do NOT say things that would give me insane ideas. My brain is dead enough right now.

so i know it's been a while - which i did warn everyone about - and i just went through and realized that i had this entire section finished months ago, except for the last two lines. so hopefully anyone who may be still reading this remembers where i left off ('cause i didn't :roll: ) and is still interested.

and i won't promise that i'll be back soon than last time...but i'll keep trying ;)

thanks for sticking with me!

Isilme dried the last of the dishes and moved them to their cupboards. Her movements were mechanical, as though she was there in body, but not in spirit. Rhen shook her head.

“Is there anything else you need me to do, Mother?”

Rhen sighed. Isilme’s voice was toneless, as it had been for the last several days. Rhen had been unable to find anything about which to talk to her daughter that would change it, either. Part of her, she thought, could sympathize with Isilme’s pain; but another part wanted to slap her and bring her to her senses. “No, nothing. Thank you.”

Isilme nodded, but did not face her mother. Looking into her face only made her want to rage and scream, but she knew too well it would get her nowhere. “I think I’ll go to bed, then,” she said, and made her way toward the doorway.

“Isilme.”

Isilme stopped, but did not turn. “Yes, Mother,” she said flatly.

Rhen sighed once more. “Nothing.”

When Isilme entered her room and shut the door, she crawled into bed, pulled the covers to her chin, and stared out of the window opposite her, forcing herself to think of nothing but falling asleep. But every time she closed her eyes, she could only see his face; and when she opened her eyes again, they were filled with tears. Perhaps, said a voice at the back of her mind, it was true what she had overheard her mother say: that she was being unreasonable. But how could true love ever be unreasonable?

When she looked and suddenly saw a dark shape at her window, she thought she imagined it at first. Then she heard a light tapping. She flung the blankets off of her and slipped from the bed, approaching the window cautiously. She drew back the curtain, and her heart leapt into her throat: there stood Aravis, handsome as ever and bearing a sheepish grin. She glanced at the door, then turned to him and put her finger to her lips. He nodded, and she quietly opened the window to allow him entry. Once he had climbed through the window, she flew at him, and they embraced tightly for several moments. And then, as if he had burned her, she pushed him away as fled back to the bed, where she curled up against the headboard and fought back more tears. He followed and sat tentatively at the foot of the bed, and waited.

“You should not be here,” she murmured at last. Then the tears escaped her eyes, and she sobbed quietly, “I am not allowed to see you anymore.”

She turned to look at him, and saw a smile on his face. “I thought as much. I was told the very same thing; yet here I am.”

“They will find out,” she muttered resentfully. “And anyway, it’s your fault. Why didn’t you tell me?”

Thinking she referred to the prophecy, he told her, “I didn’t know.”

She narrowed her eyes, and lunged forward and shoved him. “Why didn’t you tell me you’re a demon?

“Oh.”

“You lied to me.”

“You never asked,” he returned. She moved as if to hit him again, and he put his hands up to stop her. “All right, yes, I lied to you. Technically. It’s just...” He looked away for a moment, and then back. “I was afraid of losing you. If you had known I was a demon when we met, would you still feel the same? Would we even be having this conversation right now?”

She thought back to that moment, the first time she saw him, and realized that it would not have mattered if he had set her on fire; she would have felt the same, the way she did now, the way she always would. “No. We would not be having this conversation. There would have been no need, because I would have been far better prepared to defend you against them had I known in the first place.”

His brow furrowed, and he tilted his head curiously to one side. “You believe it is because I am a demon that we cannot be together?” She nodded slowly, dubiously, and he shook his head. “‘Demon’ and ‘human’ have little, if anything, to do with it.” He paused. “There is a prophecy—”

“I know about the prophecy,” she interjected. “I know it involves me, and the demon Ahriman.” Here she faltered, knowing only what she had overheard her parents say several years before. “Something about a...a revolution...”

He nodded grimly. He had hoped that the Prophecied girl of whom his father had told him was not Isilme, but now he realized that she could be no other. He took and released a deep breath, and explained to her all that he had learned. Her expression when he was through was a mixture of fear and shock.

“Then,” she began slowly, as her swimming head fought to keep a grasp on it all, “if I am supposed to lead some sort of...revolution against demonkind...what would happen to you?”

He shrugged. “Eternity in the Demon Realm would be my best hope, though death is far more likely. Zirna, too, incidentally.”

Her eyes widened. “Zirna is a demon, too?” She threw her hands up in defeat. “Is there anything else you haven’t told me?”

He grimaced. “Well...yes. Zirna told you that our fathers were old friends, did she not? It is because they are both...um...daevas.”

“Daevas.”

“My, er, my mother, as well.”

She shook her head in disbelief for a few moments, then stopped and said, “Wait. ‘Child of a daeva.’” At his puzzled expression, she went on, “My parents said something about the child of a daeva, something to do with the prophecy.”

“Indeed,” he replied resentfully, realizing now that his father had not, in fact, told him everything. “You realize what this means.”

She nodded. “We need to find out the entire prophecy.”

My first thought when I saw this was..."ZOMG she's back! YAY! <3" Wheeee! for the update ;) Ahhhh I feel so incredibly sorry for Isilme and Aravis...D:

I can't wait for that next chapter! ;) I actually remembered where you had left off. Oh yeah, I'm still here waiting for awesome updates :D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! KAZ IS ALIVE!!!! ALIVE!!!

I'm still reading, of course. I jump at anything that has daevas in it :D

This whole Aravis-Isilme thing sounds almost exactly like what I'm doing with Agas and Rhen in my fanfic, which is totally ironic [doh >___<].

holy hell hounds, kaz is alive!!!

long time no "see," stranger!

oh good--i get to find out what the rest of the prophecy is too! because if i knew, i most certainly forgot XD

all right, see you during the next ice age ;)

@Tei: Prophecy says that if Ahriman were to return, the world would be destroyed, and really destroyed. Rhen's daughter will grow up to become a more powerful swordsinger than Rhen and she will start a rebellion of some sorts that bring down the daevas' reign. Only a daeva's child can stop BOTH Ahriman and the humans' rebellion. I'm assuming Indra's not taking chances with the situation even though Nanghaithay is married, so that's why she suddenly went up and seduced Agas and... well, you know... had Aravis.

Looking at the current development between Isilme and Aravis though, especially if they DO find out about the full contents of the prophecy, that prophecy might well be jeopardized. Not to mention that Queen Alicia's spirit/ghost/whatever visited Rhen once, hinting at something about allying with the daevas or whatever.

Pulled all that off the top of my head so I might be wrong, but then again, I'm not a robot who can memorize everything in one glance :D I'm too lazy to go browse through the 200+ MSWord pages OR the gazillion posts in this thread.

Sorry kaz, I know 'tis not exactly my place to do this reply but... Just in case...

D_A's rant mode is acting up again. Shutting up now. Over and out.

Wow! This saga is finally continuing. This is the best news since Blurble left. Please post more!

Yay for Aravis and Isilme. Working together is the way, guys.

Heck yeah this story is back!! This is one of the best stories in HBT IMO.

Only a daeva's child can stop BOTH Ahriman and the humans' rebellion.

That's because Aravis and Isilme would get all-lovey-dovey so the humans and the demons would be in peace, so no rebellion, and they both defeat Ahriman together with the POWER OF LOVE :loving:!!!

What? I like happy endings!

Agas is...bald? Can't really picture it...

Also, for some reason, my version of Zarich is a girl...

@TrueShadow: I know I shouldn't be replying here because I'm not the author, but I just can't let unanswered questions sit there, especially when I'm mostly certain I know the answer to them...

Heh, I've been given a heads up that the author does not like happy endings so... I told her exactly that: Aravis and Isilme getting married and Rhen ending up joining forces with the daevas because of that, but kaz said, "Happy endings? What kind of person do you think I am?"

Yes, kaz's Agas is bald, and that was a shocker to me too because I've always had the impression that he has long hair.

-------------------------------------------

For the love of the daevas, get back here and answer the questions, kaz!!!! I am not you!!!! >____<

@TrueShadow: I know I shouldn't be replying here because I'm not the author, but I just can't let unanswered questions sit there, especially when I'm mostly certain I know the answer to them...

Heh, I've been given a heads up that the author does not like happy endings so... I told her exactly that: Aravis and Isilme getting married and Rhen ending up joining forces with the daevas because of that, but kaz said, "Happy endings? What kind of person do you think I am?"

Yes, kaz's Agas is bald, and that was a shocker to me too because I've always had the impression that he has long hair. And at least ONE of my Zarich's is a girl too.

-------------------------------------------

For the love of the daevas, get back here and answer the questions, kaz!!!! I am not you!!!!

I'm sorry about that >____< I know you said that you aren't gonna be around to much and stuff, but... *flees*

You know what? I am now fully convinced that this Agas here is Captain Picard. He has the looks, the charisma, the fangirls... Yap, kaz's Agas is Picard.

Oh wait, Aesma's in Aveyond. Agas is in Sedona. Okay... ♫♪♫♪♪ Captain Jean Luc Agas, USS Sedona~ ♫♪♫♫

so...

i realize it's been almost a year since i've been anywhere near here. i've been dealing with a lot of change, stress, and personal tragedy since last august, and subsequently haven't had much time or drive to write much of anything. plus my computer crashed, which is not terribly conducive to accessing the internet. at least i had the foresight to back everything up on an external hard drive.

ANYway, i recently stumbled across this story again, and after rereading it, i guess i managed to work up enough inspiration to get going again. i like to hope someone might still be interested :) but if nothing else, i promised myself i'd finish this thing. it's just going to take a lot longer than i planned.

so, picking up where i left off...

Chapter 31 – Strategy

Though the dragons had come to Sedona, I knew that these were only a forerunner of what was to come; the majority were still lurking in the mountains. It was time to reformulate my strategy; it was time to exterminate.

In the days and weeks that followed, the battle intensified. Dragon attacks upon the villages of the Western Isle became grander, fiercer, and far more frequent. In addition, the dragons were not only coming down from the mountains, but also from off the Isle; these latter were always accompanied by demon riders, who continued to ransack buildings set ablaze by their reptilian steeds and slaughter everyone within, be they human or demon. I myself entered the fray countless times—-much to Aravis’s chagrin, who, more often than not, I dispatched to the Eastern or Northern Kingdom to keep him out of danger, which of course was the very place he wanted to be—-and witnessed horrors of war that I had not done for centuries. Yet the one thing that struck, if not surprised, me was that throughout all the violence and devastation, Saurva had yet to show hide or hair of himself. And naturally, each time I or an envoy attempted to confront him on the matter, we were met with as much resistance as if the fate of an eon rested with the concealment of Saurva’s strategy, and of Saurva himself.

I continued to send scouts across the continent to report the activity of the dragons in their mountain camps. Though the lesser towns saw battle, my main focus would now be Sedona itself, and so I sent word for large numbers of my troops to withdraw from their various posts and return to the city, leaving a skeleton crew of soldiers at each base to maintain order; I knew it would make for a good amount of cleanup afterward, but I further realized that the Isle’s main city would feel the brunt of the assault. As I knew that it would be several days before these soldiers arrived, I made ready those that I already had to defend Sedona from the skies at a moment’s notice. I further employed a good number of humans to reinforce the city walls; relegating this laborious task to humans freed more orcs, goblins, and demons for battle, a task for which all parties involved were grateful. Well, perhaps not the humans.

Another factor that I could not ignore was the dragons’ skill in battle. The more soldiers I sent after them, the more I would inevitably lose, and so I knew I would have to employ other means to set my extermination plans into motion. As a general rule, I have never found the beasts of the surface world terribly useful in battle, but sometimes such things must be done.

Aesma was helpful in this respect, as he sent me a good number of rogues and demons that had remained in Thais, even though I had never made such a request. Perhaps anything to plague Saurva was enough of an excuse for him. But I was further able to secure “ground troops”, so to speak, of my own, in the creatures of the Western Isle. Prairie snakes, though not terribly intelligent, were highly belligerent, and always followed the smell of rotting meat, which made it easy for my soldiers to lure them into battle with the dragons. They fought fiercely, and multiplied so rapidly and so often that they gave the appearance that for each one destroyed, two would take its place.

For my extermination strategy, it was necessary to resort to a rather unconventional means of summoning warriors. Wyverns were as strong and as magically powerful as dragons; their only weakness was their inability to fly, which was something I could always work around. Unfortunately, the vast majority of wyverns were located within the Demon Realm, and it was highly impractical, not to mention ridiculously idiotic, to attempt to round them up and transport them through the Demon Portal. Thus, I called Zarich to Sedona. Given his extraordinary success at opening the Dream Portal, my hope was that it would not be a far cry from doing the same to that other normally inaccessible place. If this could be achieved, then I would be able to bring the wyverns directly to me.

And Zarich did not disappoint me. Though he would still never tell how he had done it with the Dream Portal, he was willing—-even eager—-to assist me. I taught him the Gate spell, which he learned, if not mastered, with relative ease, and explained what it was I required of him; namely, to reverse the spell, so that a creature, in this case a wyvern, might be brought from the Demon Realm to the surface, similar to the way a demon summoner operated. His secrecy was maddening, but he insisted that he be allowed to work on it in private. Within a week, he had managed to do just as I had hoped, and had even brought through one of the Demon Realm’s notorious winged scorpions to prove it. All that was left was to gather the wyverns together—-which was accomplished by sending large quantities of, ironically, prairie snake meat through one of my own Demon Gates—-and I had all the fighters I needed.

The most difficult task was actually drawing the dragons down out of the mountains. Dragons are cunning and suspicious, and would not blindly leap into battle without some degree of certainty of victory; unless, of course, their base of operations was compromised. And I made certain that this was the case, for the gigantic purple nemesis birds of the Western Highlands were a force to be reckoned with when brought together for a single purpose. Here I employed a few demons from my troops that had some skill with the Charm spell. They sent the birds into the mountains to wreak havoc upon the dragons, and the latter were soon forced to abandon the heights for lower ground, where my forces were waiting for them.

Of course I realized that these petty skirmishes could not be the end of Saurva’s assault. I knew that eventually his dragons would descend in full force upon the city itself; it was only a question of when. Thus in addition to reinforcing the city walls, I set a watch along them day and night. Dragons, as one can well imagine, have little to fear, and so rather than seek a suitable deterrent, I resolved to be well prepared for them when they came.

And come they did. Having been handled over the course of several months by the vicious rogues and ever-multiplying prairie snakes in the south and the fierce wyverns in the north and east, Saurva’s armies had finally decided it was time to make their final stand. It was some time before dawn on that day, when the keen eyesight of a goblin upon the eastern wall spied the vast dark cloud moving swiftly across the sea in our direction. When I received this news, I doubled the reinforcement about the walls, sent into hiding anyone not necessary for defense of the city, and stood upon the eastern wall, the gates directly beneath me.

A dim gray light crept across the sky as the dragons neared, as though they carried the hidden daylight with them. They were still a few leagues from the city when, the goblin watcher reported, some began to break off from the left and right flanks of the battalion. I guessed they would attempt to bring round to the western end of the city, as of course my attention would be diverted to the main unit from the east. But archers, catapults, and highly skilled demons were positioned at all ends of Sedona, and waited not for my command, but for the dragons to do precisely what I expected, and what I told my troops, that they would do.

At last the battalion, close on three thousand all told, arrived at the city, stopping to hover in midair some hundred yards beyond the gates. At the forefront was a crocodilian dragon with scales of jet black, not the largest I had seen but a good deal larger than most. His vast batlike wings created a gale as they beat back and forth keeping him suspended before me. He turned a large amber eye upon me, and after a few moments spoke in a low voice that carried over the city walls.

“You know why we have come, Daeva Agas. Have you any last words before we lay your city to waste?”

I glanced at the horde behind their leader, then behind me, then turned back to him. Then I smiled.

“Is this all of you, then?”

k-kaz?!?!? *jawdrop*

i'm amazed to see you back!! and welcome!!

...you've done better than me, at least. only fanfic/aveyond related thing i've managed as of late is a closet cosplay of rashnu. which is somewhere in the collegium, and you could check out if you were hopelessly bored XD

OMG!!! Agas Picard (what I call AS' Agas nowadays) is back!!!! Allow me to get in touch with the older chapters. I've recently developed a new set of daevas for my own original stuff so I have a whole bunch of daevas to account for. It gets confusing.

*reads back*

Saurva reeeeaaaally hates Agas, hey? :o I sort of already forgotten how far the extent of his hatred went. A dragon army JUST to flatten Agas' territory? Wow, that's just.... Wow :o

I... still marvel at your ability to write, kaz. My one and only multi-chaptered Aveyond fanfic kind of died due to my inability to focus and convey story in words.