Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
kaz

The Agas Saga

cherry: no, you probably haven't seen that before. that was quite a while ago, back when the site was purple and there was a lot less stuff on it. 'memories...' :D

dameon (which is easier than trying to copy-and-paste XD): i suppose this means you liked it?...hehe. thanks!

oracle: thanks! :) glad you liked it!

and for everyone: i actually have quite a bit of the next chapter done (don't go into shock), so if all stays normal for a while, i may be able to provide an update by this weekend...(but no promises, because, well, you know...)

:laughing:

omg, you DID save it!!!

yeah, that was me...i asked if they were playing cards (specifically, go fish) in the demon realm. (there's actually a reference to this in my story as well)

hey kaz, anyone taught them how to play spit yet? fun game, lots of slapping involved XD

I like cards. ^.^

About updating--I was a bit mad when I couldn't say "At least I've updated more recently than Kaz" any more. D=

About the chapters--excellent as always, despite the fact that I completely forgot what was happening. Loved the Agas-Saurva fight. (I think I made some mental comment about Saurva setting his half of the room on fire by accident...)

agas: i would LOVE to see that. XD XD

tei: do you REALLY need to give my daevas an excuse to slap each other around?...

rena:

I think I made some mental comment about Saurva setting his half of the room on fire by accident
funny, i did the same thing. ;)

dameon: yeah, me too.

Chapter 22 - Evolution

I decided against saying anything of my encounter with Saurva to the other daevas, mainly because I found I was still no nearer to discovering Ahriman’s whereabouts; and without that information, Saurva, unfortunately, had been right. My theory was that his sole purpose was to keep the rest of us from finding Ahriman. His role in the prophecy, therefore, whether major or minor, was in all honesty little more than irksome.

A bit more troubling was what I found after I left Veldt and returned to the Eastern Isle.

I was on my way to Veldarah when my curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to venture first to the Halloween hills to investigate the recent trouble the witches apparently were having. Immediately upon my arrival I found Zarich and Nanghaithya surrounded by a flock of irritable witches and warlocks, who were all attempting to be heard at once. Zarich saw me and hurried away from the commotion.

“You are not going to believe this,” he said at once as he led me back to the circle of witches.

“Try me,” I replied.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Nanghaithya said loudly to the crowd, “if you will all calm down momentarily—-” The rest was drowned out by a fair amount of whining.

“Allow me. Motion Freeze!” The group fell still and silent, and I turned to Nanghaithya and Zarich. “Now what seems to be the problem?”

“That neither of us can perform that spell, to start,” said Zarich.

Nanghaithya rolled his eyes. “You no doubt recall the battle in the Southern Desert several years back, and the bizarre creatures we faced.” I nodded, and he went on, “The citizens of New Witchwood claim that strange creatures have been attacking them and destroying their homes—-”

“Not that we could tell,” muttered Zarich sardonically.

“—-creatures fitting a similar description to those of the Desert,” finished Nanghaithya. “These, however, have large, batlike wings. Evidently they are ‘dropping from the sky’ upon their victims.”

“Any casualties?”

“One reported,” said Zarich, “though not yet confirmed.”

“These are either of a related species to the ones we fought, or an...evolved version of them. According to the villagers, there is no one isolated source or destination; the beasts have been reported as far as Ghed’ahre. Now, whether or not this ‘version’ simply prefers the darkness of the Hills remains to be seen. But something tells me that there is something far more sinister at work here.”

I nodded slowly. “Then I assume you have ruled out Tawrich’s theory that these creatures were merely ‘disturbed’ from some ancient slumber.”

“I’m afraid so,” he said with a sigh. “I do suppose anything is possible, but...not terribly likely. It seems to me that these creatures are acting upon orders, and that their master knew that I, at least, would come to investigate.”

Both Zarich and I glanced upward. “You don’t think...” began Zarich.

“We should move away from the village,” Nanghaithya suggested. The three of us Relocated to an open field outside the town just after I released the spell from the humans, and waited, watching the skies. Then, as if on cue, the sky above us filled with a vast, billowing cloud and a fierce hot wind. Nanghaithya immediately conjured a tornado; the cloud dissipated, and left in its place an army of winged creatures the size of harpies, with scaly brown skin and monstrous jaws filled with razor-sharp teeth. Upon sight, I believed Nanghaithya had been right, that these creatures were close cousins of the ones we had fought outside of Veldt several years before. As the first five swooped out of the air toward us, I called, “Time Storm!” They stopped, shrieked, and shriveled into dust.

Ten more followed; Time Storm worked on some, but the others dodged it. Nanghaithya created a lightning storm, which distracted them, but by then another score were on their way. The ones that made it to the ground were swallowed by a mudslide produced by Zarich, and those that didn’t tasted Reality Shift.

Then they came in full force. Hundreds of the winged vermin fell from above, scratching and tearing and biting until they drew blood. I attempted to send them away with Time Reverse, but they only came back faster and stronger. Nanghaithya and Zarich both shouted, “Weevil!” at precisely the same moment. A second black cloud appeared behind the creatures, and soon they were nearly engulfed in swarming insects. This distracted a good two-thirds of the beasts, who were then swept off by a tornado courtesy of Nanghaithya; the remainder I set ablaze with a few well-placed fireballs, and those that were not consumed flew off shrieking into the eternal night.

“Why does that keep happening?” said Zarich, exasperated, breaking the momentary silence that had fallen.

“Those creatures were smaller,” observed Nanghaithya, “much smaller than the previous ones.”

“Perhaps their original size did not allow for wings to support them.”

Nanghaithya looked at me curiously. “Then you do think—-”

“That these were a ‘newer’ version of the others,” I finished with a nod. “I do.”

“As do I.”

“Then someone has created them, most likely for this purpose,” said Zarich sourly. He looked between the two of us. “Since I assume we can rule out humans in this matter, shall we suppose Ahriman is behind it?”

“At least,” I said. “Though I would wager he is not alone in this.”

We returned to Veldarah in a bit worse shape than I, and I assumed Zarich and Nanghaithya, had left it. We found Tei’jal in the palace courtyard with Rashnu and the children; the moment she saw us, her eyes widened madly, and she shrieked, “Can any of you ever go anywhere without getting into a fight??”

“Bit like asking a vampire to keep her temper, isn’t it, Tei’jal?” said Rashnu with a smirk. We all had to laugh at that one. All except Tei’jal, of course, who every moment we stood there was beginning to remind me more and more of Aesma after his return to the Demon Realm.

“Long time, no see, Rashnu,” said Zarich, now smirking himself. “No hard feelings, I hope.”

Rashnu rolled his eyes. “Have all that Witchwood business sorted out, do you?”

“More or less,” sighed Nanghaithya.

“What baffles me,” said Zarich, “is that not only was he able to bring these creatures into being, but that he can twist and shape and mold them to his liking. It is...” He shook his head. “Unnatural.”

“Darker magic than any of us even knows,” Nanghaithya agreed.

“Who knew he was so powerful?”

“I don’t know that he is,” I told Zarich. “I have believed from the start that Ahriman was not alone in this, and I am not referring merely to Saurva’s part. There is someone else working alongside him, someone more powerful than he.”

“Do you still suspect Eithera?” Nanghaithya wondered.

Zarich snorted. “Eithera is not more powerful than Ahriman.”

“I disagree,” said Rashnu quietly, and we all turned to him. “I have seen many of the things of which Eithera is capable, things that few others could even attempt.” Tei’jal gave him an astonished look. “Do not take this to mean that I suspect her of being in league with Ahriman, or that she could be creating these monsters. I simply feel it...” He sighed deeply and glanced down at Zirna, who was paying us no attention. “...my responsibility as a grandparent to give you any information that may turn the prophecy to your favor. I think we may all agree that Ahriman is not nearly as powerful now as he once was. Eithera has steadily gained power since I first became a druid, and probably before. So it is not entirely inconceivable that she is, at present, more powerful than he. Though I should point out—-and I am certain you are all aware of this—-that she has made her utter loathing of demons quite plain over the years, so while what you suggest, Agas, is not impossible...it is not likely.”

I nodded grimly. “We shall see.”

I'm first! XD (been lurking since i saw you were on, kaz)

I wanted to quote the whole last section, but...i've narrowed it down to my favorites ^^

“Can any of you ever go anywhere without getting into a fight??”

“Bit like asking a vampire to keep her temper, isn’t it, Tei’jal?” said Rashnu with a smirk. We all had to laugh at that one. All except Tei’jal, of course, who every moment we stood there was beginning to remind me more and more of Aesma after his return to the Demon Realm.

“Long time, no see, Rashnu,” said Zarich, now smirking himself. “No hard feelings, I hope.”

Rashnu rolled his eyes.

brilliant! XD

i love this chapter ^^

(zirna, who was paying us no attention XD)

Second, I guess. :Tongue:

I liked Agas Motion Freezing the mob. No better method for crowd control. ^.^

Rashnu giving us some Druidic insight, I see... Always nice to have that.

Did I comment on the last chapter? For some reason I'm not so sure I did... If I didn't, it was definately good...

As for this chapter... Not too gory! (Yes, expect me to be happy about that.) I like Rashnu more than the demons... Don't know why, just do.

Of course they can't go anywhere without getting into a fight... It makes a good story!

card side-scene: So, the cards return! :lol: If I'm correct, this is much extended version of the orignal (darn, should have saved it! Thought I had...). And what a naughty daeva that Sauva is flipping them off. XD Anyhoo, I'm pretty sure that it was something that Tei said that triggered it on the old site; I just jumped in...I think I made up a short dialog b/w them and then you made one and it's stuck around since then. Honestly, don't quite remember, though. XD Oh what fond memories. ^^ lol

story: Hm, the harpy-like creatures don't sound like something Ahriman or Eithera would be able to create unless their last names are Einstein or Frankenstein. :) My own guess is Hajetus (hey, despite the yucky hair, I think he's pretty gifted). I could be wrong though.

And that Rashnu--what a trader. >.< How did he ever become a druid? Okay, okay, I know he's looking out for his grandson, but it's definitely with the price of others' suffering.

Can't wait for more of the mystery to be solved, kaz! :blink:

grandSON!? *the voice named rashnu that resides in my head faints* Zirna's a girl! XD

Voice Named Rashnu also protests to being called a trader. He says, "A, it's traitor. If you're going to call me something, do it properly. B, Druid of DARKNESS!! And when your daughter has a thing for the daeva ruling your isle....*rolls eyes* you kind of have to...especially when she's a Vampire..."

XD XD XD

Okay, Kaz's Rashnu voice can restate all of that in his own words XD (but she did get her Rashnu kind of from me... :lol: )

Yes, motion freeze = amazing crowd control XD

tei: hehe, i knew you'd like this one. (too bad i couldn't sneak derez in there too, huh? XD)

rena: ah, motion freeze...wouldn't be the first time, either. and i'm sure it won't be the last. and as for the 'druidic insight'...well, druids are a dying breed these days. someone's gotta do it. :D

basset: you like rashnu more than the demons because you don't like the bad guys. honestly, considering your opinion of villains, i'm just honored you're still reading. so thanks!

agas: fight scenes!!! me too!!! that's why there's so many of them. and trust me, there's more to come.

dis: i do believe i actually have the original card scene...somewhere...but you don't know how many places i had to look to find this one. :roll:

your theory on the creatures...hmm...i'm afraid i can't comment on that. though i will say that one of our speakers did say something that makes your theory both true and false at the same time. (enjoy working that one out. XD)

and the rashnu thing: as tei ranted above (hehe), zirna is his granddaughter. that aside, the prophecy did say that if humans took back the world, then ahriman would destroy it anyway. rashnu's just trying to help them find and destroy ahriman. and when you say "others' suffering"...you wouldn't be referring to a certain blue-haired former king, would you?... :D

tei again: okay, are you done? XD

the first thing i thought of after i read that was: "first of all, it's cretin. if you're going to threaten me, do it properly. second of all, you're nuts if you think kidnapping me is going to help you cheat your way to the top." (and if you can guess which movie that's from without help, i'll give you that rashnu-zirna scene you wanted.)

but i think you pretty much covered it. somehow i had a feeling you would. ;)

Kaz the first time: it was good enough even without, but that would be good XD you STILL haven't told me what you've done with him yet.

Kaz the second time: not quite XD

Monsters Inc. of course!! that's what I thought of when i WROTE it XD (if you were looking for bonus points, Mike said that to Randal)

So cough up that scene XD XD XD

qui est tu? who posted that? why did they disappear? EDIT: ah, Dameon. i see.

@annonymous: yeah, well, see, i have to differentiate between the rashnu voice, nanghaithya voice, tei'jal voice, and all the other thirty-odd voices i talk to while writing XD

KAAAAAAZZZZZ!! ou es tu???

right here!

i've been...away from my computer. for a long time. :roll: but i do still exist, and i am still working on this ridiculous story. XD i do appreciate everyone's patience (and tei's lack thereof). sorry, guys! :(

hey, talking at you in french works! XD

what kind of excuse is that? been away from you computer? XD it was one thing when the death eaters kidnapped it, but...oh, fine, i'll give it to you this time...XD

just hurry up, would you? XD

Wow, finally managed to finish reading this, and I absolutely LOVE it! I would quote some of my favorite parts but there are too many and I don't have that kind of patience :lol:. Also the cards thing was hilarious :laughing:! Keep up the good work, and don't forget to update every once in awhile :D!

tei: :P

LadyPendragon: thank you!! :) i love having new readers. (not that i don't love my 'old' readers XD) hope i can keep you coming back!

everyone: well, here's the deal. i was planning on doing another 'main story' chapter, but...i'm sort of at a loss. so, in lieu of that, i've decided to give you a new 'hero' chapter (and a new color!); more story time has passed than i would have liked, but...oh well. :roll:

Isilme peeked out into the hall to be sure it was deserted. Very quietly, she pulled her bedroom door shut and crept down the corridor, a shadow in the dark. It simply wasn’t fair that she had to sneak around this way; what was so wrong with the outside world that her parents wouldn’t let her go where she pleased? She was twelve years old, and perfectly capable of defending herself; and the people she had met had never given her any reason to worry, anyway.

She stopped, her heart racing, just outside her parents’ bedroom. The door was slightly ajar, and she could hear them speaking softly within.

“...don’t understand what she meant for me to do,” her mother was saying.

“Rhen, it has been five years,” said her father in a resigned tone. “Nothing has changed. Isilme is safe. Why do anything?”

There was a heavy sigh. “Lars, I told you what Daena said. If the prophecy is fulfilled, Ahriman will destroy the world.”

“So we stop the prophecy—-”

“You don’t suppose the daevas haven’t already thought of that, do you?” Rhen interjected. “It’s the whole reason Tei’jal and I decided not to let the girls ever meet each other.”

“Daena also said the child of a daeva,” Lars replied. “What makes you think that Nanghaithya is the only daeva to have a child?”

Another sigh. “That is not the point, Lars. We know the daevas know of the prophecy. They will be prepared to stop the revolution. If they ever find Isilme—-”

“Which they will not.” There was a brief silence. “And is that not the point? If they do not find her, they cannot harm her. So again I ask: why do anything? Because a woman you never met came to you in a dream and told you to? Demons can come and go as they please within the Dream now; how do you know it was not a trick to make you deliver our daughter into the hands of the enemy?”

After a long, tense pause, Rhen said, very quietly, “I don’t.”

They continued to talk, but Isilme was no longer listening. Her head was buzzing with what she had heard, information that her parents had been keeping from her for who knew how long. She knew of the daevas, but who was Tei’jal? And what was the prophecy of which they had spoken, which directly involved her?

Satisfied that they were preoccupied, Isilme fled silently down the hall and out into the night.

Zirna peeked out into the hall to be sure it was deserted. Very quietly, she pulled her bedroom door shut and crept down the corridor, a shadow in the dark. She wished her mother would be more understanding; she had her reasons, the girl supposed, but not knowing them only made her feel more rebellious. Why shouldn’t she be friends with whomever she wanted? Why did it matter if they were demon or vampire or human?

What harm could a human teenager do?

“Bit young to be sneaking out this late, aren’t you?”

Zirna started. The voice, barely above a whisper, had come from a shadowy corner just behind her. She spun around anxiously, but relaxed a bit when the dark figure drew nearer and she recognized her grandfather.

“I wasn’t sneaking out,” she said defensively.

He smiled knowingly. “Then where were you going?”

“Nowhere,” she answered, almost before he had finished the question.

He raised his eyebrows.

“I—-couldn’t sleep.”

He folded his arms.

“Well, I am a vampire, you know.”

He neither moved nor responded.

“I—-” Finally she groaned in frustration and flopped to the floor, put her elbows on her knees and rested her chin on her fists. “Fine. I was sneaking out. But it isn’t my fault Mother is so unreasonable.”

He sat down on the floor facing her, though with much less flourish than she had used to get there. “I tell myself the very same thing all the time,” he said with a sigh. “But tell me, in what respect do you feel she is being unreasonable?”

“She is trying to control me!” Zirna hissed, exasperated. “She won’t let me have any human friends—-and she won’t even tell me why. I mean, maybe if I knew the reason—-”

“You would still sneak out to see your human friends,” Rashnu finished for her.

Zirna pursed her lips and rolled her eyes. “What is so wrong with humans?”

“Depends upon your perspective, I suppose,” he told her. “But if you believe your mother’s seeming overprotectiveness is because she is afraid of humans harming you, I believe you may be slightly off the mark.” She looked puzzled, and so he added, “In other words, I do not believe she is protecting you, necessarily.”

“Then...who is she protecting?”

He sighed. “That is a long story. And one best told, perhaps, when your mother is prepared to do so.” He stood up and offered her his hand.

“Of course,” she muttered sourly, allowing him to help her to her feet. “‘When you are older, Zirna.’ As if I haven’t heard that before.” She paused. “May I ask you something else?”

“You may.”

“Why does Mother call you Rashnu?”

He shook his head slowly. “That is an even longer story. Now, are you going to tell me where you were really planning on going?”

Now she sighed. “The village. Just for an hour or so. You—-you won’t tell, will you?”

He rubbed his chin in a bemused sort of way. “Tell what to whom, child?”

She grinned and kissed his cheek, then hurried silently out of sight.

Rashnu chuckled to himself, then shook his head. “Kids.”

Kaz is a mind reader! Seriously, I was wanting a chapter with the kids in it and i got it! Good chapter, this is my favorite part...

kaz wrote:

"You—-you won’t tell, will you?”

He rubbed his chin in a bemused sort of way. “Tell what to whom, child?”

Rashnu is such a good grandparent. :lol: But anyways, great chapter!

i have the same question as rena...

so what DOES she think his name is? XD

YAY, rashnu and zirna scene! ^^ so let me get this straight: black is Agas Saga, green is hero chapter, red is myseterious people, and blue is the kids. got it. geez, kaz, you've got a rainbow going here. what are your daevas going to say? it must be almost as bad as the sunshine and fairies XD

which much less of a flourish, eh? is this implying that rashnu is short, sweet and to the point, or is he acting older...? (rashnu? acting older? ...hell has frozen over XD i call him eternal teenager sometimes. oh, wait. that's my rashnu. right)

ladypendragon: thanks! i think you'll be seeing a bit more of them, too. ;)

rena and tei: i think you both missed the crucial response:

“Why does Mother call you Rashnu?”

He shook his head slowly. “That is an even longer story.

the 'longer story' is called 'blood of a necromancer'. XD (shame on you for missing that, tei! :P )

oh, and by the way, tei, you forgot purple for the druids and goldish for hajetus. but the daevas don't mind the colors. at least, i don't care if they do. they don't really have a say in the matter. XD

EDIT: i almost forgot, tei: 'less flourish' just meant more calmly and gracefully. he isn't a furious adolescent girl, after all.