Aveyond Studios Community
Sign in to follow this  
OneFeather

Reives - Quintessence: The Blighted Venom

It's actually a Chapter 1-6 package and there is also a demo available (though I think you have to go to the forum) for the battle system in Chapter 7. In the 2007 Misaos RPG Maker Games Awards, Quintessence won the following:

* Best Atmosphere

* Best Cast of Characters

* Best Introduction

* Best Music

* Best RPG Maker XP Game

* Best Storyline

* Best Supporting Character - Vikon(

* Sleeper Hit of the Year

It's a really awesome game :P

I've played up to chapter 5 and this "game" is awful. It's like not even a game. It's more like one long cut scene. If you don't mind pressing the spacebar for hours and reading a story you'll like this game. If you like a little action this game is not for you because there isn't any.

And likewise, some of those who don't play it will also hate you, but you won't know and nor would they. :)

Xblotterx is absolutely correct on the story oriented aspect. As stated in the disclaimer, Quintessence offers a story oriented experienced as compared to the typical RPGs. (Which is quite ironic, since those who does not read dialogues often proves to be incapable of reading disclaimers as well.)

For more information, visit the home page as posted in the first post.

Here are a few videos as a dip in the water:

And as for game-play, there are not much in the earlier chapters at all (of course, there are still controlling the character - simply no mini-games/puzzles). Starting from chapter 3, however, there exists battles and as such.

Here is an example of a normal battle play:

And here is an example of a battle existent in a separate demo that shows some more of the system's potential:

None the less, as xblotterx stated, this is still mainly for those who enjoyed the story/show aspect of a RPG. :) Cheers.

There is a walk-through with pictures for that part in the "NHints/Solutions for Hini-game/Battle/Puzzle/Progression" board of the forum under Quintessence - TBV section in http://www.quintessence-tbv.com/forum/index.php

:) Should help.

(The images there are down due to photobucket bandwidth exceeded, but I am uploading it onto the private server at the moment - should take 2 minutes.)

Unfortunately the cheat for this part is not on the forum anymore... (Kan has blown his bandwith on Photobucket)... so I can't help you there, sorry.

And yes, this game is not really a typical game, so I wouldn't recommend it to people who completely ignore storylines and exclusively play RPG games for battles and mini-games.

thanks! i tried like every way except that one! what i missed was using the second spot on the island.

does anyone know where a walkthrough for this game might be? i just would like one in case i get stuck or something. actually, i would prefer a level guide, but either way works fine.

okay, but like for the thief, what level should i be before i fight him? last time i fought him i died and then i had to start so far back, before the one guy even took the pill and before going across the water! so just like any suggestions on that? it's greatly appreciated!

and i really like this battle system for some reason. it's like a mixture between the Aveyond and Ahriman's Prophecy battles. a little different then what you would exactly get when you mixed them, because there would be no bar saying what spells and things like that, and you can't use items, but it still is a bit of a combination. you can move around and choose yourself when you can attack, like AP, but it's in a battle mode with a special battle backround like Aveyond 1 and 2.

Same to you, I've always wanted to meet a panda. :') Now my life is complete. Heya.

@princess:

You should probably just be level 3 or higher for the thief, just to have the trap and venom gust ability learned at level 3. Any higher levels simply increase your hp and energy slightly, but in that release at the moment it's not that big of a difference.

Sorry ya got sent back there though, I thought I made it pop a save-window before the thief's battle.

okay, thanks for the help. and i was level 3, actualy level 4, but i'm not good at fighting with Lunair, which is who i had fought the thief with!

can you fight him with Reives though? since you just need to move the logs?

EDIT: nevermind, i figured out you can't. too bad for me.

and any suggestions as to how to beat the wolf guy? i can't even do a thing to his life bar and i'm level 6!!!

When you only control Lunair to fight him, don't worry about actually killing him. Just try to survive, and after a while the fight will automatically end (it is not a real fight, as the real one comes after that).

So Reives, are you the creator of Quintessence? I wanted to play it but I'm one of those lazy guys who's too lazy to navigate the game's site XD.

Sorry if I caused trouble, can I have the direct download link to the first chapter. I heard it has many and I would like to start from the first.

So, the download contains all six chapters right? I'm downloading now and will play it in my laptop. My computer's sound card was ruined so, sound related issues will have to go there. XD

Quote:

(Which is quite ironic, since those who does not read dialogues often proves to be incapable of reading disclaimers as well.)

@Rieves - brilliant! I think ya just cornered the problem, lol.

Yer game is remarkable, and I am very happy you can't be disuaded from doing it differently, yer own way.

Why do the critics expect these games to be all alike? I think you'll have many fans in spite of the nonsense from folks who don't like ta read. RPer's will love it!!

(I don't think these same people are going ta like my RPG either, there is a lot of dialogue, but without as many cut scenes.)